PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening video

Tim McClelland
11-01-2009, 1:35 PM
A couple of weeks ago somebody posted a link to a video on sharpening gouges, skews and scrapers(about and hour or so long) in which the speaker said it didn't matter if you blued the tool. I watched it and loved it - I thought I had saved it but cannot find it. In a couple of weeks I am going in for open heart surgery (replace a leaky valve) so will not be able to do any turning or stuff for several weeks - probably into January or so. If you could either post it again or let me know where it came from. I am going to have plenty of time to watch it over again (perhaps several times). I would appreciate your help. Thanks

Steve Schlumpf
11-01-2009, 1:40 PM
Tim - is this the one you were thinking of? http://docs.google.com/View?docID=admp7zph558w_bcj4t5jchs7kq&revision=_latest

Best of luck with your surgery and recovery! Hope all goes well and you can get back to turning real soon!

Tim McClelland
11-01-2009, 7:54 PM
Although this one is helpful it is not the one that I saw. The whole video was just over an hour long done by a young fellow who is a very good instructor. Thanks for this anyway. It will be useful.

Steve Schlumpf
11-01-2009, 8:30 PM
Tim - did you click on the link 'THIS' as it takes you to a pod cast (video) that is 1 hr 14 minutes long by a (to me) young instructor. Just thought it might have been the one.

Dennis McGarry
11-01-2009, 8:40 PM
I think you are thinking of the woodsmith pod cast mentioned above, I am about half way through it now! Great video on it. I have seen a couple of his other ones on youtube as well.

Learning alot from it, now I am also making a shopping list for this week on a grinder, wheels, and wheel dresser..

currently sharpening by hand with a file... :(

Mike Cross
11-01-2009, 8:48 PM
Here ya go Tim. Is this it?
Here is the link Steve was refering to.

http://www.woodworkingonline.com/2008/09/23/podcast-37-turning-tools-sharpen-your-skills-with-sharp-tools/

Mike

Tim McClelland
11-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Yes, this looks like the one. Thanks I look forward to seeing it again as I recover.:)