PDA

View Full Version : Project completed (with pics Tyler)

David Hayes
09-27-2004, 11:42 AM
Back in June, I posted a pic of a blanket chest made for a wedding gift out of maple. The wife wanted one to match the oak in our living room.

While in Ohio for the wedding, I met Donnie Raines and purchased some curly red oak from him. I used this stock to make the chest. I had some quartersawn red oak that I used for the lid. The chest is finished with Golden Pecan stain and five coats of wipe-on poly. The chest bottom is lined with aromatic cedar. Rail and stile frames joined with M&T. Sides joined with T&G.

Thanks for looking.

Dave

Tyler Howell
09-27-2004, 11:48 AM
Alright Dave, Just so we understand the laws:rolleyes: .

It would have been a crime to deprive your fellow creekers of the beautimus work!
Thanks for sharing.:cool:

Jerry Olexa
09-27-2004, 11:49 AM
David nice job! Like the raised panels and the wood has a nice look. Good job of finishing. And yes, Tyler, nice pics!

Dick Parr
09-27-2004, 12:15 PM
Very nice Dave, I do like that style.

Dan Gill
09-27-2004, 12:28 PM
Very nice! I'd like to see a better shot of the top, if you have one. I'm considering doing some stuff with QS red oak.

David Wilson
09-27-2004, 12:29 PM
Dave

Very nice. How did you attach the bread board ends to the top?

Roger Fitzsimonds
09-27-2004, 12:35 PM
Very nice David, and great job on the finish.

Roger

Donnie Raines
09-27-2004, 12:51 PM
Man Brian....I did not charge you enough for that curly oak!!! Wonderful work and excellant design. I like the deatils....notice the curly on the fron tlegs rise at the same angle.....very nice!

JOHN HANCOCK
09-27-2004, 1:19 PM
Great job. The upward tilt of the figure on the legs draws your eyes into the piece and towards the top. I would also like to see a shot from a little higher angle to see more of the top and front together. Great job of selecting the right wood for the right pieces and laying out the figure to best advantage. Gorgeous wood.

David Hayes
09-27-2004, 3:41 PM
Thanks for the kind comments - I am proud of the piece ;-)

The breadboard ends are attached tongue and groove style. The tongues on each end of the top are cut off about 1" from the front and back. The end pieces have a stopped groove in them a little longer than the tongue to allow expansion/contraction. I glued the middle 4" of the tongue only.

I will try to get a better pic of the top to show the quartersawn figure.

Thanks again,
Dave

Michael Stafford
09-27-2004, 3:47 PM
Dave, absolutely beautiful. I hope you signed and dated it somewhere since it is sure to be an heirloom. I learned on Antiques Roadshow that provenance is everything and your piece will be cherished by the family for generations to come.

Chris Padilla
09-27-2004, 5:46 PM
Gorgeous!! Sigh, wish Donnie lived closer...he appears to have some very nice wood!!

Wade Samuelson
09-27-2004, 6:10 PM
...with M&T. Sides joined with T&G.
Dave
Just so the newer people on this site can keep up with the rest of the class, (in no way referring to myself of course :rolleyes: ), I take it "M&T" means mortise and tenon, but what does "T&G" stand for?

John Shuk
09-27-2004, 10:01 PM
That is red oak used in spectacular fashion! Nice work.

Jim Becker
09-27-2004, 10:05 PM
Yum! Nice job and spectacular wood.

John Miliunas
09-27-2004, 10:19 PM
Just so the newer people on this site can keep up with the rest of the class, (in no way referring to myself of course :rolleyes: ), I take it "M&T" means mortise and tenon, but what does "T&G" stand for?

"T&G"=Tongue & Groove, Wade. (Get used to it...WW has almost as many acronyms as the computer world!)

Dave, the chest is exquisite! :) I agree with Chris on Donnie's location, too! We just don't see much of that quality hardwoods around here! Well done, all the way around! :) :cool: