PDA

View Full Version : Pay Back

Mike Golka
11-01-2009, 11:51 AM
This is a staved urn/vase I made from pallet wood that was gifted to me by one of my son's friends. It is from a stash her Grandfather had. I made it as a thankyou and maybe something to remind her of her Granddad. Woods are oakand mahogany (gifted), black alowood and holly. About 10" high and 6" in diam. Comments and critiques welcome.

Steve Schlumpf
11-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Mike - very interesting design involving staved and traditional segmented pieces! Rich colors in the woods used! Great finish! I am sure this will be very appreciated and treasured for a long time! Very nice work!

Rick Hutcheson
11-01-2009, 12:07 PM
That look great. The one I am sure someone will bring up is the two different grain directions on the same project. I have never worried about it but some have said the expansion contraction will be different and may cause it to crack. I hope it works the way you have it because it really makes the peice.

Bernie Weishapl
11-01-2009, 2:21 PM
Mike that is a pretty piece. I really like the form and finish.

Mike Golka
11-01-2009, 7:44 PM
Thanks guys. Rick I do worry about mixed grain orientation but on this peice I'm hoping the tennon joint and the stability of the alowood will keep it together.

Richard Madison
11-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Good looking piece Mike. In addition to what Rick said, there seems to be an uneven disparity between the number of staves and number of segments which creates the look of misalignment. Might be an optical illusion, as always difficult to tell from pictures. Can you show us how you did the "tenon joint"?

Edit: What is alowood?

Mike Golka
11-02-2009, 8:26 AM
Richard you are correct, there are eight stave and twelve segments. The segments are centered on the quadrants of the stave section. If you look inside you will notice that there is little of the black showing beneath the holly ring. this is where the tennon is. Learn about Alowood here http://alowood.com.

Richard Madison
11-02-2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks Mike. Interesting product. Could not find what kind of wood is used, but their picture appears to show some kind of conifers.

Jeff Nicol
11-03-2009, 7:14 AM
Mike, I agree with Steve on the woods and the richness of the colors. When getting wood given to you and turning it into a lasting reminder of someone is a wonderful thing! You are a true gentleman and a darn good guy! Thanks for sharing and inspiring us to do good things!

Jeff