PDA

View Full Version : Glass with Photograv3

John Donders (europe)
11-01-2009, 7:19 AM
Photograv3 makes a "white" engraved background after processing "on glass". Is it possible to let Photograv process for glass engraving without engraved background?

-John-

Steve Eide
11-01-2009, 9:04 PM
Photograv3 makes a "white" engraved background after processing "on glass". Is it possible to let Photograv process for glass engraving without engraved background?

-John-

Could you post the images?

You could remove the background in Photo-Paint or your imaging program. If you selected glass as your material, Photo Grav will invert it for your engraved image file (so if you have a light sky, it will engrave dark).

John Donders (europe)
11-02-2009, 7:19 AM
Thank you Steve,
now I have found that I can "uncheck" a checkbox for "invert image" (alas this just seems not to give as realistic a picture as the inverted image).

As I am new to Photograv (and also quite new to laserengraving) I am going to do a lot more testing to figure out the best results on glass (and clear acrylic). The results on wood are very good as I have already found out.

Any input / experiences about working with glass, acrylic and Photograv is appreciated by this laser-novice.

-John-

Stuart Orrell
11-03-2009, 2:41 AM
Welcome John,

Please excuse me if I am telling you what you already know.

I have only used photograv a little in the past and from what I recall for glass, it will invert the whole picture, making any lighter parts black on the bitmap and visa versa, whether they are in the background or subject of the image.

So, if the background is light, it will show on the engraving (for glass).

The background needs to be black if you do not want it shown (for glass).

This is the reason I moved away from photograv. I now use Photoshop as this allows me to deal with image manipulation and set up for the laser all in the same piece of software.

Hope this helps and good luck with your lasering. The first few months allow us the joy of many learning curves. But in the end,the results are very worth while and satisfying.

John Donders (europe)
11-03-2009, 3:32 AM
The first few months allow us the joy of many learning curves. But in the end,the results are very worth while and satisfying.

Thank you Stuart for sharing your knowledge and experiences, they are very much appreciated.

And yes, I'm learning al lot, this forum really speeds up my learning curve.

-John-