PDA

View Full Version : Any Delta Model 20 owners or users?

Larry Edgerton
11-01-2009, 6:43 AM
Local auction has a Model 20 Delta bandsaw that looks to be in fair condition but I have never used one. Opinions on this model? Glitches? Durability?

Thanks, Larry

Pete Bradley
11-01-2009, 2:13 PM
Got a picture? That doesn't sound like a normal Delta model number. If it's the one on eBay advertised as a "Model 20" it's a Delta/Rockwell 28-3X0. Good machine originally, usual old machine checks apply. If it's the older 28-350, that was a great machine new. Either way, condition matters.

Pete

Larry Edgerton
11-04-2009, 5:40 AM
Here you go........

.http://www.purchase.umd.edu/ttrader/items/expanded_pages/21001901.html

george wilson
11-04-2009, 8:42 AM
The old 1950's-60's ones are my favorite bandsaw. I am cleaning up an old one right now. It has the old,hand adjustable blade guides like the old 14" Delta. I hate the new ones that you have to use an allen wrench on,and stack shims when you change the blade. I don't think all the new ones are the stack shim type,but I could be wrong.

The saw shown is a fairly new model. I can't make out the guides. It is important to have all the parts be present. You can get a large amount of money tied up in replacement parts.

I'd still rather have the newer Delta than any Jet,Rikon,etc. They have rigid frames. New Delta machines CAN have out out of round wheels. The conservation dept in my old museum bought one,and had to have a factory tech come and put on a new lower wheel. Disgraceful!!! Their machine had the stackable shims,too. Fussy to change,easy to lose!!!

Pete Bradley
11-04-2009, 12:29 PM
That's a 28-3X0. Looks like it sold, did you buy it?

Larry Edgerton
11-05-2009, 6:04 AM
That is not the one I bid on, but the same. The one I bid on is out of a school that ended its shop program as well, ran when they unplugged it, rolled wheels and all seems fine, guides are there, seems fine and is definately workable. I'll know Saturday if its mine.........

Thanks, Larry

Larry Edgerton
11-08-2009, 6:59 AM
I bought the saw for $659, and I bought a kiln for $100, so I guess my wife has a new hobby as well.

Dusty Fuller
11-08-2009, 10:50 PM
We've got one in our park's woodshop. I don't know exactly how old it is, but I meant to ask the same questions the original poster was asking. It seems to be working pretty well considering its been neglected. I changed the blade, backed off the guides a little bit (they were in constant contact with the old blade, even without a load), and it seemed to track straight and cut the scraps much better that it was. Still not perfect, because the blade guard and table are pretty rusted from sitting. Its definitely big enough.

Bob Aquino
11-09-2009, 8:11 AM
I bought the saw for $659, and I bought a kiln for $100, so I guess my wife has a new hobby as well.

I have that same saw. It's a tank. Much more saw than you can imagine. Weighs north of 800 lbs. Take the table off when you move it, that will save you over 100 lbs. Dust collection isnt too swift with that small 2.5" port on the front, but that wasn't a priority back then. Paint on it looks pretty good, so all you may need to do are bearings. If it has the original guides on it, you hopefully got all the blade inserts or at least a good start on a set.

Here is a link to some pictures of my restoration last year. http://picasaweb.google.com/aquino.bob/Delta20Bandsaw?feat=directlink