PDA

View Full Version : Versalaser x, y Home Issues

Steve Lautzenehiser
11-01-2009, 12:47 AM
I have a 2.3 which I have been using frequently with a rotary, although today it wants to go to a x,y home that is off the page and keeps banging into the side of the frame. I went from the rotary, to the table for one piece, and now back to the rotary. When I turned it on, and focus on my image, it moves to off the page, and when I use the focus option, it doesn't follow the curser very well. The laser should also be centered with the rotary in place, but it doesn't center. I tried reloading the image through Corel Draw, but this didn't help. I assume I need to calibrate back to x,y as 0,0. How do I re-calibrate x,y at 0,0? I am also not sure if I messed up my values to center the laser when using the rotary. I also do not get the on/off button on my computer screen like I used to and have to turn the power off/on on the machine itself. If recalibrating the table doesn't do the trick, with re-loading the driver reset all the parameters? Thanks for any help!

Dan Hintz
11-01-2009, 7:26 AM
Did you remember to check the 'use rotary device' box in the Control Panel?

Scott Shepherd
11-01-2009, 8:28 AM
In addition to Dan's question, did you make sure you turned the machine off between all these swapping out of the rotary? Not turning the machine off can cause some really bad things to happen.

Steve Lautzenehiser
11-01-2009, 11:01 AM
The rotary was checked and the z-axis is off. I've switched out the rotary and the table before without turning off the power with no problems.

Scott Shepherd
11-01-2009, 11:09 AM
I've switched out the rotary and the table before without turning off the power with no problems.

Might have worked before, but that's a BIG no-no.

Steve Lautzenehiser
11-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Thanks. I'll start over and reload the drivers, and if that doesn't work, I'll pay a visit to my rep tomorrow.

Lee DeRaud
11-01-2009, 11:35 AM
Might have worked before, but that's a BIG no-no.The PLS may have different rules, but quoting from my VL200 manual:
"Insert the Rotary Fixture into the slot (OK to do with power on because it is hot swappable)..."

Scott Shepherd
11-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Might be Lee. I know I made the mistake a few times and came really close to having bad things happen. I think I forgot to turn the machine off before installing it. Once I installed it, it didn't see it, so Z zero was the table, not the rotary, and it started heading to the table, which would have been one really bad mess. Luckily I caught it in time and killed the power to stop it.

The next time, the machine seemed to completely get lost. After a few minutes on the phone with tech support, they asked if I turned off the power and I said "No, I forgot to do that". They told me that was something I had to do.

Not sure if something has changed or not, just know I didn't have a good experience.

Steve Lautzenehiser
11-01-2009, 1:18 PM
I've reloaded the drivers and nothing works. I can't even etch in manual mode. I doesn't even recoginze the laser. looks like I'll be visiting the rep tomorrow.

Scott Shepherd
11-01-2009, 1:25 PM
That's 2 people this weekend with ULS that their system can't see any longer. Have you tried a system restore? There might have been a Microsoft update that came out and installed automatically that's causing it.

Just a thought. Try system restore and see if it works then.

Dan Hintz
11-01-2009, 4:34 PM
As Scott said, the system must be turned off before installing/uninstalling the rotary. It's not ideal, but hopefully you can schedule jobs so you're not swapping back and forth much.

If his suggestion of system restore doesn't pan out, give me a call as I have another option that may work. Here's my cell #: ZLI D0G ANTI (that's a zero in there)

Brian Jacobs
11-01-2009, 5:51 PM
Steve,

What does you Diagnostics Tab say, specifically for the USB Latency Test. The numbers should be low. Mine is 9 avg /16 max. If the software power button isn't working, in all likelihood, it's a communication problem.

You said you reloaded the drivers. Did you reload the Control Panel software? I have 5.27.48 (should be the latest). If you need a copy, PM me and I'll send it to you. Also, did you disconnect the USB cable and uninstall the drivers/software when you reloaded? (You need to do both.)

BTW- I've lost my z-axis home twice, but that's an easy fix.

Antonia Paziota
07-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Hello everybody, i know this is an old thread, but it is exactly the same problem i have on my versalaser. We followed the manual instructions on NOT switching the power off, and bam! all the problems described by Steve apply: power button is gone, x,y axis lost, it keeps trying to go to the left which is impossible...etc

We done everything you suggest and a few more: replaced usb cable with a new one, replugged, re-installed software and drivers. Diagnostics say that usb speed is high (although i have to confess it is longer that 3 feet as requited in the manual). Nothing. It is going crazily to the left side...

The only thing we have not done is system restore. Do you mean a system restore in Windows or a system restore in the laser program?

WE ARE calling the company technician, he is coming tomorrow, nonetheless I would like to know what happened in your case...My boss says that probably the versalaser electronic system will have to be replaced... not the cheapest solution possible...otherwise it may be something simple that we fix ourselves.

Thanks and regards from Greece, i was quite amused by the fact that at the other end of the world we have exactly the same problems, that is globalisation i guess...
antonia