PDA

View Full Version : polishing/rubbing compound

Kevin Hartnett
10-31-2009, 11:32 PM
Hello Creekers, I'm finishing off an oak desktop. I've applied two coats of Minwax Antique Oil Finish and am now applying several topcoats of semi-gloss Polyacrylic for durability. I'd like to use some kind of polishing/rubbing compound on the final coat to give it a nice sheen and take out any small defects or scratches. I've got an orbital buffer, but I don't know what to buy or where to get a good polishing compound for a very smooth finish. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! Kevin H.

Larry Fox
11-01-2009, 9:20 AM
http://www.targetcoatings.com/shop/catalog/Sanding_and_Polishing-5-1.html

Prashun Patel
11-03-2009, 1:28 PM
There are better finishers than I, but a) is Antique Oil designed to be topcoated? b) Is Polyacrylic a good choice for rubbing out, or would an alkyd of phenolic varnish, shellac, or lacquer be a better choice? To rub out, the surface needs to be hard and 'brittle'. I'm not sure the polyacrylic fits the bill. I could be wrong.

Regardless, you can use the tried and true rubbing compounds, pumice or rottenstone (I've used them). Personally, I find it easier to use automotive sandpaper starting at grit 600 and working up into the thousands. More efficient and less messy. Just don't be stingy with it; use clean sheets. I've also had modest luck using automotive rubbing compound for leveling (in lieu of pumice) and then automotive polishing compound (instead of rottenstone). I find it easier to apply than the powders, but both slurries need to be completely removed from crevices (sp?) or you'll be seeing white or grey marks for years (DAMHIKT)!