PDA

View Full Version : Refinished Country stand/cabinet

whit richardson
10-31-2009, 8:05 PM
I think this was a dry sink or bedroom stand from my wife's family only recently came to us. I should of taken before pics as it looked pretty ragged. It was partially stripped and had been that way since I met my wife (25 yrs ago). I stripped and cleaned it then put down about 5-6 coats of dark shellac using a brush. Cleaned the pulls with vinegar and baking soda. This was fun to do!

Sam Layton
10-31-2009, 9:18 PM
What ever you want to call it, dry sink or bedroom stand, it turned out great. The shellac finish turned out very nice.

Sam

John Thompson
11-01-2009, 9:16 AM
I'm glad you consider refinishing fun. I am not so fortunate. :) You did an excellent job and that is a nice piece. The style in oak reminds me of many aunts and uncles who lived on farms when I was growing up as oak furniture was common in rural GA. at that time.

Nice work and kudo's for patience!

whit richardson
11-03-2009, 1:14 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys. Yes I actually enjoy refinishing and finishing. I guess I have the patience and like the process too.

I think this country style oak furniture was popular almost everywhere except maybe the north east. My wife's family is from a small mining town in Western Maryland where new furniture is a generation old. One thing I have discovered is that the fine old country craftsmen weren't real big on quality joints like people believe. I've found runners nailed right through the sides, gappy tounge and grooves, half done dovetails, 200 glue blocks to hold one side on, etc.. Likely a local furniture factory cranking out pieces for the middle class country folks. Still some amazing oak stock was used to make these pieces and with a bit of "fixin'" they look great.