PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Holiday Sales or no Sale!

Paul Ryan
10-31-2009, 5:01 PM
So I just got the Grizzly Christman 2009 catalog. Why do the prices in the christmas catalog not match up with the prices in the inside of the front cover of the latest wood magazine? For example. In the latest wood magazine the prices are good from Nov. 2 to Dec 31. A G0691 is $1215 with free shipping. In the christmas catalog it is $1125 + $139 for shipping. The G0457 is $795 with free shipping in the wood mag, $895 + $89 shipping in the catalog.

The prices differ in both publications. Some of the prices are better in the catalog, some are better in the magazine. I am confused why not have the same prices in both? What is even more confusing are the prices on their web site don't match either publication.

Josiah Bartlett
10-31-2009, 5:08 PM
Perhaps they are using price points as a way to research how their customers are shopping.

Don Bullock
10-31-2009, 5:12 PM
Paul, I had the same question when I bought my G0490 jointer from Grizzly. The response I received was that they only go by the "current" price on items and shipping. The shipping I paid was considerably higher that the price listed in the magazine. While it didn't make me a happy customer I still purchased the jointer. The CS rep explained that magazines and catalogs have a big lead time for printing and conditions/costs change after they are sent off to be printed. Perhaps someone from Grizzly will drop in for a better explanation.

Dennis McGarry
10-31-2009, 5:18 PM
Paul, I had the same question when I bought my G0490 jointer from Grizzly. The response I received was that they only go by the "current" price on items and shipping. The shipping I paid was considerably higher that the price listed in the magazine. While it didn't make me a happy customer I still purchased the jointer. The CS rep explained that magazines and catalogs have a big lead time for printing and conditions/costs change after they are sent off to be printed. Perhaps someone from Grizzly will drop in for a better explanation.

I dunno, Me persoanlly would have to really want an item, if i just got the current issue of a mag. and saw the ad there and called and was told it was a higher price then the ad...

Paul Ryan
10-31-2009, 5:37 PM

I would have a big, big problem with that explation. I am not quite sure how legal issues go. But usually a seller has to honor an advertised price unless it is posted. Something to the fact prices could change at any moment for any reason. Well I have not seen any fine print on the add in wood magazine. There is a code to give them when ordering, but no fine print that I can find. So I am not a lawyer but I would think that they have to honor the price. If not they should not be printing adds for prices they cannot honor. That is bad business if you ask me.

It is far to say that the prices on wood magazine are not current until Nov. 2 but I don't see print that says prices begin on such a date in the christmas catalog. Only offer endsl Dec 31 2009. But that doesn't explain why the prices on the web site are different than the catalog at this moment.

Stephen Edwards
10-31-2009, 6:25 PM
I would think that they are covered by the last sentence on this page:

http://www.grizzly.com/aboutus.aspx

which says:

We make every effort to ensure that information on this site is current, however specifications and pricing are subject to change and are not guaranteed.

I'm not an attorney and am not offering a legal opinion!

Dennis McGarry
10-31-2009, 6:27 PM
I would think that they are covered by the last sentence on this page:

http://www.grizzly.com/aboutus.aspx

which says:

We make every effort to ensure that information on this site is current, however specifications and pricing are subject to change and are not guaranteed.

I'm not an attorney and am not offering a legal opinion!

That works for the site, to protect from some moron typing in 19.99 for a well sharpener..... :)

But the printed catalog and adds would need the same disclaimer..

Stephen Edwards
10-31-2009, 6:40 PM
My "guess" is that the disclaimer on the Grizzly website covers all of their bases. I imagine that they have a stable of attorneys that make sure that they're covered, as would any other business as large as Grizzly.

There's a way to find out for sure: hire an attorney. :D

Who knows? Perhaps laws vary from state to state in regards to a company's obligation to honor an advertised price in a purchased advertisement. I dunno.

Dave Lehnert
10-31-2009, 7:23 PM
I remember reading that the Grizzly winter sale starts Nov 1st so check the web site tomorrow.

Dave Lehnert
10-31-2009, 7:32 PM
I've had the ich for a G0513x2 for some time now but got hours cut at work so I don't want to spend the money. I noticed they just took off the free shipping. so I made it past that sale. Hoping they don't put it on sale again.
It's been a long summer not trying to scratch that ich. :D:D

Chip Lindley
10-31-2009, 9:22 PM
Buyer Beware! Funny that Malls have a perpetual SALE going on, and sometimes SALE prices are higher than *normal*! Impulse buyers are not too concerned with getting the lowest price!

All you price-conscious tool enthusiasts caught right on to Grizzly's price discrepancies! But there are many who will pick up the Holiday catalog and order something *special* for their woodworker in the family! Slick marketing taps many emotions, involving many other family members!

Matt Stiegler
10-31-2009, 9:41 PM
Buyer Beware! Funny that Malls have a perpetual SALE going on, and sometimes SALE prices are higher than *normal*! Impulse buyers are not too concerned with getting the lowest price!

All you price-conscious tool enthusiasts caught right on to Grizzly's price discrepancies! But there are many who will pick up the Holiday catalog and order something *special* for their woodworker in the family! Slick marketing taps many emotions, involving many other family members!

I think its pretty clear this reflects a, uh, minority view about Grizzly.

Rick Fisher
10-31-2009, 9:47 PM
Well, looking at the price difference, I wouldn't spend too much on a lawyer... lol..

My immediate assumption would be that the US dollar has been losing value steadily this year and the suppliers in Asia have been wanting more and more of them from Papa Grizz for inventory..

I would take this into consideration if your looking for machinery.. there is a pretty common opinion that the USD will lose another 20% of its value by spring.. This will cause machinery prices to rise even more..

Rather than summon the US Supreme court, Give Grizzly a call.. if the price went up .. remember that Papa Griz is not responsible for the value of the US dollar.. Rather than abuse some random Grizzly employee, first make sure they voted for the current President.. if they did.. Well.. let fly..

:)

Dennis McGarry
10-31-2009, 9:53 PM
My "guess" is that the disclaimer on the Grizzly website covers all of their bases. I imagine that they have a stable of attorneys that make sure that they're covered, as would any other business as large as Grizzly.

Wouldn't cover all the bases, they have to have it visable in all media that it represents. having it only on a website applies to only that media. If someone saw it in a catalog, there is no way to know that they in good faith also had access to or saw it on the website.

There's a way to find out for sure: hire an attorney. :D

Who knows? Perhaps laws vary from state to state in regards to a company's obligation to honor an advertised price in a purchased advertisement. I dunno.

Over all though, its basic marketing at play, give em a call and I would bet they honor the price printed where you are reading, with the promo codes its a market tracking issue only.

Brian Kent
10-31-2009, 9:56 PM
Two years ago I was buying a bandsaw from Grizzly. One of the magazines had an ad from a previous sale where the deal was a little better. (Oddly enough the type in a printed magazine can't change when they have new prices). I called and asked about the price and they let me know that they would honor any current print ad. No problem.

As it turned out I bought a slightly better model at a great price online. Prices change. Sales change. All of their prices are outstanding. They honored the best current price I could find.

No problem at all, whatsoever. Nada. None. I like it. I'm a happy camper.

Brian