PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 2000 Cabinet Saw Opinions

Arnold E Schnitzer
10-31-2009, 4:59 PM
There is a 15% off sale on these in November. I need a cabinet saw because of dust collection (currently have a Powermatic 64 contractor's saw), and a PM2000 with the shorter fence is going to come in at just under $2000 with shipping. Seems like a great deal, and though I really lust after the new Unisaw, money is tight. Any opinions from users of these, or other folks who have shopped and compared?

Paul Ryan
10-31-2009, 5:03 PM
That is a heck of a deal for a nice saw. Is it a 3hp 36" fence saw. If so I would buy it. You wouldn't find a nicer saw for less money than that.

Dan Mitchell
10-31-2009, 10:40 PM
I have a 50" PM2000 & I like it a lot. When I glanced at the new Unisaw at Rockler, shortly after it came out, my impression was that the fit & finish on the PM was superior.

Tom Hintz
11-01-2009, 2:23 AM
I also have the PM2000 and have been using it hard for almost three years now. It continues to impress and I have found nothing to make me even a little sorry that I chose the PM2000 for my shop.

I have a full review of th PM2000 with photos and video of important features at the link below if that kind of info would be of help.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/pm2000rvu.html

Russ Boyd
11-01-2009, 5:39 AM
Make that 3 for the 2000. I've had mine for a year and a half (50" fence) and love it. It's the "pride and joy" of all my tools. Did I mention that I like it?

Ben West
11-01-2009, 7:26 AM
Where are you finding it for 15% off? I've been waiting to pull the trigger on a cabinet saw, and this may push me over the edge.

Arnold E Schnitzer
11-01-2009, 8:59 AM
Tools-Plus.com is offering 15% off in late November on all Jet and Powermatic tools, and $6.50 shipping. They will also let you pre-order now and get the discount price later. I saw this posted on one of the WW websites. According to my arithmetic, the saw should be $1954.15 + 6.50= 1960.65 delivered. This is for the 3HP 30" fence model.

Tom Hintz
11-01-2009, 1:54 PM
Where are you finding it for 15% off? I've been waiting to pull the trigger on a cabinet saw, and this may push me over the edge.

In the next week or so you will see this 15% off coming to all Jet and Powermatic dealers, maybe not officially until near the end of the month but it will be wide spread.

Cary Falk
11-01-2009, 2:32 PM
HEre is the link from an e-mail I got yesterday.
http://x.jmxded27.net/w.z?j=240560838&m=20C7D18552E64AF09CAE737AB385159B

Ben West
11-03-2009, 9:08 PM
So, Tom, I know you've been a big fan of the PM2000.

Is there any reason not to get one?

jack darcy
11-03-2009, 9:11 PM
I'd take the powermatic. I am probably gonna get roasted for saying this but delta is now owned by black and decker and prices have gone up and quality has gone down. sorry to all delta fans. The powermatic looks sweet though.
good luck

Ron Bott
11-03-2009, 10:56 PM
I'm a big fan of Powermatic tools and own several. I looked long and hard at the PM2000 and liked it alot. But the new Sawstop PCS changes the whole discussion. Take away the blade brake, and IMHO the Sawstop is bit better than both the PM2000 and new Unisaw. Factor in safety and it's a no-brainer.

Tom Hintz
11-04-2009, 3:27 AM
So, Tom, I know you've been a big fan of the PM2000.

Is there any reason not to get one?

Not that I know of. I have tried a bunch of saws over the years and played with many others at friends shops but still would take the PM2000 over all of those.

Jeff Monson
11-04-2009, 8:52 AM
Another happy pm2000 owner here, I love mine. I also had a contractors saw and this is a major upgrade. Dust collection, smooth operation, and the riving knife are what I like the most. I waited and shopped and got one for 2199.00 and I thought that was a good deal.

Mike Heidrick
11-04-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm a big fan of Powermatic tools and own several. I looked long and hard at the PM2000 and liked it alot. But the new Sawstop PCS changes the whole discussion. Take away the blade brake, and IMHO the Sawstop is bit better than both the PM2000 and new Unisaw. Factor in safety and it's a no-brainer.

I am no expert and just a hobby guy who likes tools. My experience with the PCS saw was at IWF in 2008. I am a SS ICS owner (since 2006) here so I am not a sawstop hater. Just my opinion and no disrespect to ANY members or owners of any of these lifetime purchase saws.

Without the brake I do not believe the PCS is better than either of those IMO.

The design of the unisaw trunions, having handwheels on the front, Larger table, quick adjust RK, more RK options, the real Bies fence, the marathon motor, drawer for blades, many more US made parts - That new delta UNI IMO is way nicer.

The PM2000 is closer in design but the Baldor motor option, the built in mobility of the case, the MUCH nicer and thicker cabinet, the RK options, great DC, extension table options, nicer handwheel - I just do not see the PCS without the brake being nicer.

The Brake at a saw cost of close enough price point makes this PCS saw. It has a nice new DC guard too.

Again, no one asked for it and this is just my opinion and no disrespect to ANY members or owners of any of these lifetime purchase saws.

Matt Winterowd
11-04-2009, 11:57 AM
I've had a PM2000 for a year and a half, and I love it. I did replace the stock riving knife and blade guard with a Shark Guard to improve dust collection, but that's just me. I would consider the Industrial Saw Stop if I had endless money, but I wouldn't pay full price for a Unisaw over a PM2000 at 15% off!

Steve Sawyer
11-04-2009, 12:07 PM
I bought a Jet Deluxe Xacta saw early last year, and since they both come from WMH Tool, and there are a few parts shared between the two (blade guard and fence, similar riving knife), I looked at the PM2000 very closely.

At $2000 for the 3hp 36" fence model, I wouldn't say that it's a steal, but if that's within your budget, I wouldn't hesitate for a nanosecond. IMO probably the finest saw you can get short of the Sawstop industrial (I haven't seen the SawStop PCS yet, so I can't compare those two). The cast iron base and built-in mobile base alone make this a big step up from my Jet.

Ben West
11-04-2009, 2:27 PM
When I started woodworking 3-4 years ago, the PM2000 was the saw I first thought I'd end up with. I wanted to operate a bandsaw-centric shop for a while and have done that, but it's now time for a tablesaw.

Since first thinking about the PM2000, I've thought instead about a european slider, the SawStop, the new Grizzlys, and, most recently, the new Unisaw.

Now, with the 15% off sale, I'm back to the PM2000. It looks like the only saw I'll ever need to buy.

Leo Vogel
11-04-2009, 2:30 PM
Love by PM2000. Quality saw that does everything that I want.

Arnold E Schnitzer
11-04-2009, 6:25 PM
I ordered my PM2000 today. I think the price is fantastic, and the machine is certainly better than what I need from a tablesaw. Anybody want my PM 64?

Paul Ryan
11-04-2009, 7:10 PM
As I posted earlier I think $2000 is a heck of a deal. I own the sawstop PCS and believe it to be equal to the PM2000, but it will run you about $1300 more by the time you add in sales tax, a mobile base, extra dado and standard cartridge. If the blade brake is important to you like it was for me than that is worth it. But if the blade brake is not an important feature I say go with the PM all the way.

Ben West
11-04-2009, 7:44 PM
The SawStop is, obviously, a fantastic saw, even without the safety brake.

The decision of whether to buy a SawStop for the safety brake is based upon a person-by-person consideration of risk, just like insurance. Some people buy all the insurance they can, and others buy as little as they can. If you pay house insurance for 30 years and never have a problem, then you wasted 30 years of insurance premiums, from one perspective.

For me (I know, I know...this has been covered before), the probability of injury when using a saw like the PM2000 with a riving knife and a good blade guard is awfully small. Having said that, if I ever make a mistake and injure myself on the blade of the PM2000, then I made a stupid, stupid decision by not buying the SawStop!

It's all relative, I guess. The PM2000 (and other saws with riving knives and good blade guards) seem very safe to me, if used correctly. Of course, I grew up watching my dad rip rough lumber on a Craftsman contractor's saw with no blade guard, no splitter, and an exposed belt drive. Of course, he's missing about 1/4 inch of the index finger on one hand!

James Manning
11-04-2009, 10:10 PM
Another vote for the PM2000, I picked one up off craigslist for 1200, one yr old and hardly used. I looked at the SS and new Unisaw and I just thought the PM felt more beefy and robust and no vibration what so ever.

Solid..........:)