PDA

View Full Version : Fulton Planes

Tom Winship
10-31-2009, 9:58 AM
I was talking to my brother last night who has a fair plane collection. Mostly Stanley's, with a few Miller's Falls, etc.
Told me he had found a Fulton approximately 5 1/2" long in an antique store. Bought it for $6.
He doesn't know much about Fulton's. Could some of the historians pontificate for me to pass along to him?
Tom

Richard Niemiec
10-31-2009, 10:48 AM
Second tier manufacturer, IMHO. Can be made to work correctly however, with some fettling. I messed with one a while back and was never impressed with the adjustment mechanism nor the quality of the irons, wouldn't hold an edge. Kept it for a "loaner" to neighbors to fix tight doors, and loaned it out and never asked for it back when I moved. Likely worth what he paid for it.

Matt Edwards
10-31-2009, 10:58 AM
In my experiance Fulton planes can be fettled and tuned in to good users. The fit and finish generally doesnt meet Stanleys, or Millers Falls standards IMO. But in a user who cares? From a collectable perspective, I dont have a clue.

I just thought of this, if this plane is a bench type plane, with a wooden tote handle and nob in that size, and not a block plane, you could really have something. I've heard of guys finding all kinds of diamonds in the ruff with blades from other makes.

Matt

Jim Koepke
10-31-2009, 1:36 PM
As Matt says, if it is the Fulton #1, then eBay could be a money maker.

Also as Matt says, it could be another maker's plane with a replacement blade.

Pictures always help clear things up.

jim

Tom Winship
10-31-2009, 1:38 PM
I know he said it is a bench plane because he commented that the wood handles certainly weren't rosewood.
Thanks all.
Tom

Dave Matson
10-31-2009, 3:45 PM
according to google, Fulton was a low-end brand name for sears. Apparently they were made by sargent, but I have seen a few Fulton branded Millers Falls No.7s on ebay. It probably comes down to whomever got the production contract. Could be an exciting find. Can we see pictures? :)

Tom Winship
10-31-2009, 4:37 PM
I will send pictures, but will have to wait until next time I go see my brother who is about 180 miles away. Thanks for you input.

scott spencer
10-31-2009, 6:12 PM
I've got two Fulton planes...#3 and #5. IMHO, they're not quite up to par with the better Stanleys, Millers Falls, or Record planes I have, but they're not bad either...the red is cool!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/hewood/Planes/9-6-09009.jpg

Lynn Dowd
11-01-2009, 11:34 AM
In the late 1800s and early 1900s, United Hardware & Tool Corp. had a line of Fulton tools. I have several of the planes from that era, marked Fulton, and they are good, professional grade tools. The later Fulton brand that Sears sold are more along the lines of homeowner grade, meant for occasional use. As has been mentioned before, when you are able to post a picture someone can tell you which version your brother has.

Lynn

Dusty Fuller
11-02-2009, 9:49 PM
I got one for free that isn't bad. I sharpened the blade and went at it. No see-through shavings (yet), but it was my go-to plane until I picked up a coffin style woodie with a laminated blade.

Dave Matson
11-03-2009, 3:34 PM
Ebay item 150385736318

this a Fulton 3708 no 2 size plane made by millers falls. Looks to be of good quality.

http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/planetacorn/fultonplane1.JPG