PDA

View Full Version : A good pocket plane with a v-notch in base?

Stephen Tashiro
10-31-2009, 1:16 AM
What is a good "pocket plane" that has a V-notch in the base?

I see planes (on Woodcraft) like:
Kunz - Pocket Plane Without Handle

but it doesn't say that the base has a V-notch in it.

Jim Koepke
10-31-2009, 1:46 AM
It might be easier to help you get what you want if we understood what you want to accomplish.

The Kunz planes have flat soles, or as close to flat as the person making it wanted to make it on that particular day.

I have what is called a Radi-plane that has a V-shaped sole. It has blades for cutting a radius on corners. It has a couple of spare blades that were bought to put a chamfer on corners.

Look at this link, it is not the same as mine, but in the same spirit:

http://www.right-tool.com/ishanradplan.html

Mine was about $15.

There have also been specialty planes made with notches on the bottom for making fly fishing rods.

If there has been a need for what it does, there are likely some that have been made.

jim

John Keeton
10-31-2009, 7:45 AM
This concept may have improved over time, but I never was too impressed with these type of planes. Seems that there is always that little area for which the blade angle just isn't right - instant tear out. I had one similar to the one Jim posted - years ago, and wasn't very happy with it. In fairness, however, given my recent revelation on how to actually sharpen a blade - it could have easily been "operator error!"

Bill Houghton
10-31-2009, 10:59 AM
If you mean the kind of notch that the makers of bamboo flyrods like, you need to look at the companies willing to make such a plane - Lie-Nielsen is one - or figure out how to file your own notch.

John Keeton
10-31-2009, 11:35 AM
I forgot to mention, another option is this (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=46296&cat=1,41182,48942) chamfer guide for the LV low angle block plane. I owned one of these a while back, but never had a need and ended up selling it so I can't comment on its performance.

Jim Koepke
10-31-2009, 1:32 PM
I cut a corner off of a scrap of wood and taped it to the bottom of a #4 to put some chamfers on pieces. This is for making some table legs. Just did this last night and have not cut the legs yet. Will post pictures if it works.

jim

Stephen Tashiro
11-01-2009, 10:03 AM
My use for such a plane is simply to cut a small bevel on the 90 degree edges of pine lumber so it doesn't hurt my knee or hand so bad when I bump into one of my constructions. Thanks for the link to the "Slickplane". It looks like what I want.

Matt Stiegler
11-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Do you mean something like this (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=64284&cat=1,41182), the new LV mini edge-rounding plane?

Stephen Tashiro
11-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Yes, I mean something like that edge rounding plane.

Reading the reviews of the Slickplane on Amazon, I see it has two blades that are to be kept in relative adjustment.