PDA

View Full Version : Q? on router table top

Jeff Dege
10-30-2009, 11:54 PM
I'm building a router table. I'd intended to make the top out of a layer of 3/4" melamine laminated with a layer of 3/4" MDF. The thing is, I managed to mess up my first attempt at routing out the mortise for the insert, so now I have a piece of melamine scrap the same size as my router table top, with a insert-sized hole cut through the middle.

Which got me to thinking. The primary danger of laminating different types of materials is that they will swell or contract at different rates, when exposed to humidity changes. Now, it was my understanding that both melamine and MDF were pretty stable, but to me that means that they don't change size very much, not that they don't change size at all.

So, my question: Could there be a problem, laminating melamine to MDF? Would there be less of a problem, laminating melamine to melamine?

Chip Lindley
10-31-2009, 12:46 AM
Jeff, from my experience, you should have no trouble as long as your router table remains under roof, and does not directly contact excess moisture. A really damp basement might affect it. A really tropic climate in your shop might affect it. But, generally speaking, MDF and melamine (particle board) do not move unless serious moisture is absorbed. You can always seal the underside and edges of your RT for extra protection.