PDA

View Full Version : How do I cut a taper along the edge of a wide board?

Chuck Ketcham
10-30-2009, 11:01 PM
All,

I've begun building a rocking horse for a Christmas present for my little girl. The plan shows that I need to taper along the edge of four 1-1/2" x 8" boards that make up the legs of the horse. This is necessary so that the legs will splay when mounted to the horse body. I do not need to taper across the face of the board. If I did, I would simply use a tapering jig and my tablesaw.

I can think of a couple of ways to do this.

1. Flip the wood on its edge and cut with a bandsaw. The problem is that the bandsaw I was considering buying for this project can only handle about 6" of resaw. So this option is out unless I buy a much bigger bandsaw.

2. Do the tapering by placing the face of the board on the jointer. But I only have a 6" jointer and the board is 8" wide.

Are there any other ways to do this? Will I have to plunk down loads of cash to buy a new tool?

Maybe that won't be so bad though!

Thanks.

Chuck

Mike Heidrick
10-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Make a sled for the planer maybe?

Joe Scharle
10-31-2009, 7:38 AM
As I read your question, it sounds like you need to bevel the end of your board. If so, I would tilt the TS blade and run the edge pass a sacrificial fence to cut the bevel.

Mike Null
10-31-2009, 7:59 AM
You might consider building a jig for your router which will hold the board at the proper angle for the taper.

Or use a panel saw and a plane. Hard work but you probably won't have to buy any tools.

Or rip the legs, taper them on your new bandsaw, and join.