PDA

View Full Version : Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene

Doug Griffith
10-30-2009, 9:59 PM
I understand that Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene does not laser well. I'm curious if anyone has tried it and can confirm the information I've seen floating around the net. I would like to use 1/8" thick on a project I'm working on. Otherwise it's Delrin which is far more costly.

Thanks,
Doug

Michael Hunter
10-31-2009, 7:59 AM
If you protect the surfaces (top AND bottom) with masking tape, it cuts OK.

(Without the tape protection, you get melt round the cut line on the top and the stuff blown out of the bottom of the cut sticks to the bottom surface).

Engraving is a waste of time - enough power to do anything and you just get a molten puddle.

Doug Griffith
10-31-2009, 1:10 PM
Thanks Michael, looks like I need to get my Delrin prices down. I'll be going through 4 full sheets a day which adds up fast. I've been prototyping with heavily rubberized acrylic but it's still too brittle.

Any other suggestions for gears?

George Brown
10-31-2009, 8:04 PM
Thanks Michael, looks like I need to get my Delrin prices down. I'll be going through 4 full sheets a day which adds up fast. I've been prototyping with heavily rubberized acrylic but it's still too brittle.

Any other suggestions for gears?

How about PETG ??

Doug Griffith
11-01-2009, 10:47 AM
PETG cuts pretty sloppy and is too soft. I wish I could use it because it is CHEAP.