PDA

View Full Version : New Monster tool

Mike Minto
10-30-2009, 9:26 PM
Just bought Randy's basic turning tool; has been useful for removing bark from green logs. Also got the 'clamp blocks' to fit on Jet mini lathe - they do eliminate the 'creep' problem with banjo and tail stock. I'd never seen photos, just providing them here for those others who had not. Mike

mickey cassiba
10-30-2009, 11:25 PM
Apologize for my ignorance but Randy who? My Delta Midi also has "creep problems" at the banjo and TS.
TIA
Mickey

Bernie Weishapl
10-30-2009, 11:35 PM
Randy Privett at Monster Tools. I have his clamp blocks on my Jet 1220 and the Rikon. They hold well.

Steve Schlumpf
10-30-2009, 11:36 PM
Mike - Congrats on your new tool! Get back to us on the clamp blocks once you have them installed. Would be interested in how well they work.

Mickey - Here is the Monster Tool site. Great tools. http://monster-lathe-tools.com/cart.php

Steven DeMars
10-31-2009, 1:19 AM
You may want to also look at Penturner's Products . . .

Have bought their TAILSTOCK/BANJO CLAMPS . . .

They are made of steel & very well machined & polished.

All leading/contact edges are chamfered . . .

They work very well . . . . Just slight pressure and they lock . . .

I had some aluminum ones on our JET 1014 lathes, but they tended to slip & the amount of pressure to lock them was never the same . .

They are $12.00 each . . . :)

http://penturnersproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=119

Chris Stolicky
10-31-2009, 8:07 AM
You may want to also look at Penturner's Products . . .

Have bought their TAILSTOCK/BANJO CLAMPS . . .

They are made of steel & very well machined & polished.

All leading/contact edges are chamfered . . .

They work very well . . . . Just slight pressure and they lock . . .

I had some aluminum ones on our JET 1014 lathes, but they tended to slip & the amount of pressure to lock them was never the same . .

They are $12.00 each . . . :)

http://penturnersproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=119

I second this recommendation. I have not purchased this particular item (yet, but thinking about it), but I have purchased other things from John. He offers some nice products and is good to work with.

Mike Minto
10-31-2009, 8:44 AM
you know, the banjo and tailstock on my jet 1642 creep a little, too. do i just need to tighten the nuts up on these, i ask those of you with this lathe? was wondering if clamp blocks like those for hollowing systems and accessories like OneWay's drill master and steadies would work for that application. that's what Randy's replacement blocks for the mini look like, to me. does he make big ones? mike

Reed Gray
10-31-2009, 11:06 AM
I was told by a tech at Powermatic, one of the old guys who was a part of PM before it was sold, that you want some creep in the tailstock. Otherwise, you can over tighten/push with the tailstock to the point that you risk damage to the headstock and tailstock. Makes some sence.

robo hippy

David Colafranceschi
10-31-2009, 11:11 AM
I'm new to turning. So, what would that tool be used for?

Alan Tolchinsky
10-31-2009, 2:43 PM
Just bought Randy's basic turning tool; has been useful for removing bark from green logs. Also got the 'clamp blocks' to fit on Jet mini lathe - they do eliminate the 'creep' problem with banjo and tail stock. I'd never seen photos, just providing them here for those others who had not. Mike

I have "creep" problem too on my Jet mini. All I do is give the lever a couple light taps with a plastic hammer and it holds well. I saw somebody who put a wood extension handle on the lever to increase the leverage and I'd bet that does the trick. There doesn't seem to be any down side to this and it saves your hand from any tightening trauma.

Ryan Baker
11-01-2009, 4:23 PM
I've never had any creep on my Jet 1642.

Mike Minto
11-11-2009, 5:56 PM
david c, it's a 'boring bar - used mostly to hog away the inside of a bowl/hollow form due to it's heft and size. i also use it for whatever 'rough' work i have to do, such as removing bark from fresh/wet/dirty logs. inexpensive cutter, easily sharpened/replaced. hope this helps, mike

Richard Madison
11-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Mike, Just tighten the nuts on your banjo and tailstock a small fraction of a turn. They will not creep. When drilling/boring with a big forstner in the tailstock I usually give the lever an extra thump with heel of my hand. Can tell by the lever position if I have it really tight.