PDA

View Full Version : Anyone live near Parkersburg, WV?

Neal Dooley
10-30-2009, 9:14 PM
Hey Guys,

I am relocating to Parkersburg in just over a week. Are any of you guys from there? I am looking forward to getting off the government UI dole and back to work. Hopefully I can finally find a house over there with some space to begin growing a hobby shop:-)

Neal

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-31-2009, 1:33 PM
Two big rivers. Be sure to get flood insurance.

Jim Watts
10-31-2009, 2:18 PM
Don't forget to find the Woodcraft home store:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=39.293067,-81.524093&spn=0,359.997589&z=19&layer=c&cbll=39.293111,-81.523995&panoid=fgVoQncAFQMSkvv9NYSmUw&cbp=12,119.27,,0,-5.11

I'm about an hour east. If you're willing to commute 20 minutes or so east, there are acre and acres and acres of pretty cheap land. Seriously, if you want 1000 acres, you can find it. You could also live in Ohio if you'd like. I haven't looked into it, but I think they're a little more tax-friendly than WV.

Neal Dooley
12-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Hi Guys,

I landed almost 6 weeks ago and just bought a house this past weekend. No acreage but it is a pretty good house. Now if only I can scrape the rust off of my tools from storage and get an electrician to update my garage power and lighting.... The bride has given the thumbs up on leaning some of the finances into the shop budget this year:-).

Jim Becker
12-17-2009, 7:17 PM
LOL....I was just in Parkersburg yesterday and the day before on business. I have to say, it's a very nice area. Bigger than I originally would have thought. There is a large agency of the US Treasury there who is a big employer, too. Honestly, I doubt I'd feel uncomfortable settling in that area...people are friendly and the city has a nice feel to it.

I'm glad to hear you had a successful move!

Roger Pozzi
12-18-2009, 7:52 AM
I used to live in Belpre, OH ( just across Parkersburg's downtown bridge) and loved it there.
But, do watch the river, it was in my house before I moved, and, I've been told, it was in there twice since I moved. :eek::eek:
Great place to live and the people there are the most friendly anywhere.

Neal Dooley
12-21-2009, 11:42 AM
Hi Jim,

I guess you made it back to PA before the storm hit? We only got 1 inch here but people back home in WA seem to think I was in the middle of a massive storm or something. What sort of consulting do you do? Did you visit Dupont?

Hi Roger,

I am up on a hilly area above the Grand Central Mall. It would take an apocalyptic flood to bring the river to me. whew! My coworker lost a car a couple years ago though so I will be wary during the Spring monsoon!

Jim Becker
12-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Neal, I'm in the telecom business and was in meetings with a large customer who will remain unnamed ;) that happens to make Parkersburg it's home. :) (it was not Dupont) It was my third trip to Parkersburg and it's very likely that I'll be there "a lot" over the next year. I fly into Columbus OH (nice airport) and drive down to P-burg.

Neal Dooley
12-22-2009, 3:23 PM
Hey Jim,

If you fly through DC you can catch a flight straight to Parkersburg. You wouldn't have to fight your way to baggage claim or drive 2+ hours either.

Jim Becker
12-22-2009, 6:29 PM
Hey Jim,

If you fly through DC you can catch a flight straight to Parkersburg. You wouldn't have to fight your way to baggage claim or drive 2+ hours either.

I don't do baggage claim. ;) But if I did, there's no line at CMH and the bags seem to arrive before one can walk there. (Not the same in PHL, unfortunately, so I never, ever, ever check if I can avoid it) Yes, there is a DC-->Parkersburg flight, but it wouldn't really save me any time since I fly out of Philadelphia and the schedule between DC and Parkersburg is, um...pretty slim pickings. There are 4-5 flights a day on my airline between PHL and CMH which means I can leave home at oh-dark-early and make an 11am meeting on the first day no problem; leave by noon on departure day to catch a 3:40p flight and be at home by about 7pm.

Rick Gifford
12-23-2009, 7:51 PM
I live in Vienna. Never saw your original post or I would have replied. If you'd like to meet sometime be glad to.