PDA

View Full Version : Epilog CO2 laser problems

Robert Gauntt
10-30-2009, 8:24 PM
Has anyone out there who owns an Epilog laser had trouble with their laser tubes. I've gone through three 45 watt CO2 laser tubes and I now need a fourth. The second laser tube lasted only two months. The third seven months. It's lost half its power in seven months. I have a legend 36 EXT. they told me when I purchased the laser that their laser tubes should last three to five years. I've had this laser 2 1/2 years I've also gone through a memory board. This machine has cost me more money than it's made me. Seven months ago because of all my problems they extended my warranty one year. They said they would replaced the laser tube again, but I get no warranty. After three laser tubes, and now with them giving no warranty. It sounds like they don't trust their lasers either. I deeply regret buying this laser it has been nothing but aggravation and trouble from the very start. I've spent literally hundreds of hours on the phone with them. It seems to me, either I got a lemon or they have serious problems with their laser tubes. My ex business associate, has had his laser for over 7 yrs. and still has original laser tube. I've checked alignment, level, lens, mirrors. The red dot is right on. You don't notice it when you raster-as much the big difference is when you vector.

Dan Hintz
10-30-2009, 8:47 PM
There's a third option... your local power is complete crap, or it was bad enough at one point to tear down your power supply. If your power is continually sagging, or you have plenty of spikes, it will tear apart a power supply. Once that's doing a poor job of supply smoothing, it goes to your RF board and it's all down hill from there.

John Noell
10-30-2009, 9:04 PM
Have you tested the stability of the voltage to your laser? What kinds of temperature fluctuations does it experience (overnight, over the weekend, etc.)? I ask because I have heard both can shorten tube and mainboard lifespans. (I now run mine off an APC power conditioner to maintain even input voltage. I also keep mine air conditioned as temps here in the tropics can be high.)

Gary Hair
10-30-2009, 11:50 PM
four tubes in 2-1/2 years, I would be on their doorstep with the laser in a trailer demanding an exchange. If it is your power then they should have recommended it be checked before you put the third tube in the machine. Buy American, costs twice as much, almost as good...

Joe Pelonio
10-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Naturally there will be a few lemons in every product, but I'd look at something else as the cause of the tube failures. My first one lasted less than a year, due to failed electronics in it, the second just over a year. The 3rd has now been going 4 years (knocking on wood).

Besides the clean power issues, another problem could be cooling. Do you have a large and powerful enough exhaust fan and ducts, and are they clean with no obstructions to the intake openings?

Tim Bateson
10-31-2009, 11:28 AM
four tubes in 2-1/2 years, I would be on their doorstep with the laser in a trailer demanding an exchange. If it is your power then they should have recommended it be checked before you put the third tube in the machine. Buy American, costs twice as much, almost as good...
I notice you don't say what laser you're using. I love my Epilog.

Back to the issue - I agree strongly that it could be a power issue or even a cooling issue. Power fluctuation could be very subtle. Do you ever see any momentary slight dimming of your house lights?

John Noell
10-31-2009, 2:32 PM
Do you ever see any momentary slight dimming of your house lights?Where I am the dimming is not slight and happens every time the air compressor, or the AC, or the belt sander, or the dust colector, et cetera gets turned on. :D Being at the end of the line, far from the transformer, means I get the left overs. And I've already added more copper from the pole to the shop (a l-o-n-g way$). No need to put a meter on it to see the problem here! (And why I use a voltage stabilizer on the line to the laser. Cheaper than $18,000 for a transformer.)

Bruce Volden
10-31-2009, 6:43 PM
Robert,

I'd opt for a line conditioner, they're reasonbly priced. This will for the most part "fix" the supply / input to the laser problems (if they exist). Also, hook your voltmeter up to the DC laser power supply and make sure you have the proper voltage going into the laser tube. On my TT it needs 48VDC, the LMI's need 30VDC. Let us know how things are looking-we like to learn more :cool:

Bruce

Rangarajan Saravana kumar
11-01-2009, 2:08 AM
Hi,

We also had similar problems like it , got a free exchange of tube , but no warranty then ( no issues, because of their generous in changing tube , even though it got out of warranty) Three tubes in five years..

My point is

1. Pl check the electronics in RF, had any broken joints resulting in bad or weak signal sent to Laser tube

2. Also, did you have check the second tube sent to epilog tested, if its weak?

3. Low power doest point to laser empty... may lead to RF also, power fluctuation, cooling etc

4. Send RF unit to your Epilog person incharge, make a check if its ok, then see if your tube is working ( Better idea is sending both , to check simultaneously which is culprit )...

Regards,
Saravana kumar

Jerry Beltramo
11-01-2009, 8:54 PM
Robert,

I have had the same issues with my 36 Ext Epilog. Have replaced the laser tube twice and every board in the unit. Several motors have been replaced as well as the arm. I thought maybe it was just me that was having problems but it looks like others are also. My Epilog is in a controlled environment with all the necessary surge protection. Also received an extra years warranty because of all the issues. I too, would have to consider another manufacturer as the cost of repair could be more than I can make up with extra work.

Mark Ross
11-02-2009, 8:06 AM
We are on our third tube, however, y'all saw the pictures of our machine. There was almost no airflow out of the back of the unit until I cleaned it which took the better part of a day.

On a production basis we use the machine strictly to cut, so we are always at 100% power.

Seems like our tubes have lasted about 18 months. With the machine cleaned and aligned, running a 45 watt unit we have to run a speed of about 20, frequency 5000, power 100% to cut through 1/8 inch acrylic stock.

Aaron Koehl
11-02-2009, 11:48 AM
I would suspect your AC power source. Installing a UPS should even out any power issues. I've seen dozens of computers die randomly in businesses with unstable electrical current. Otherwise, it sounds like a short somewhere in the circuitry, which often has a ripple effect damaging other electronic components.

John Noell
11-02-2009, 1:16 PM
Installing a UPS should even out any power issues.Be sure to check the detailed specs on any UPS to be sure it will do so. Unless you go high-end, the typical UPSs I have looked at (e.g., APC's line) do not limit over-voltage unless it is REALLY high (the UL 1449 spec says transients are "not to exceed 600 volts") and they typically cut in only when the power drops at least 12%. A UPS really is for extreme over-voltage (lightning) and complete power loss. In contrast, a line conditioner/voltage regulator (with no battery backup) can control voltages to a much more narrow range.

Gary Hair
11-02-2009, 1:20 PM
I notice you don't say what laser you're using. I love my Epilog.

Not that it matters, but I have a GCC Explorer ZX.

Gary