PDA

View Full Version : .....and then mankind discovered FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve Clarkson
10-30-2009, 7:31 PM
Although I did not get a note from Frank......I had to buy a pen torch for an unrelated project......so I now have FIRE!!!!!!

It took me a while to figure out that the tips supplied with the $9 Harbor Freight Special were just getting in my way....so I took them off,

I shined up a few small pieces of clear acrylic and accidently bent a few too......the benefit is that I now know how to heat bend acrylic the old fashioned way!

I haven't burned myself yet (or atleast not 3rd degree burns) and I haven't burned down the house.....yet.

So if anyone has any tips or projects that they used a flame polisher on, I'll actually listen to them now.

My first question is.....how much detail do you lose by flame polishing an image?

Ruben Salcedo
10-30-2009, 7:46 PM
Steve,
take a look to this video (http://www.tapplastics.com/info/video_detail.php?vid=26&format=quicktime&), there is more videos related with Acrylic fabrication.

Ruben

Anthony Scira
10-30-2009, 9:09 PM
Hmmmm I was thinking the Aztec 2012 this was a hoax, not not so sure.

Did you get your wife's permission ? ;)

After your marble post looks like you earned your fire !

Frank Corker
10-30-2009, 10:29 PM
You can lose almost all of your detail on an image. The key thing is little and fast as you do it. A bit like you do with laser on a new piece of material, lots of fast sweeps until you get what you need. Allow some time to cool in between if you can. Steve. do be careful, acrylic burns really well.

Rodne Gold
10-31-2009, 12:43 AM
Why are you using a flame polisher on images rather than edges?

Frank Corker
10-31-2009, 7:43 AM
Rodney, I have to admit, that had crossed my mind too!

Steve Clarkson
10-31-2009, 8:05 AM
When I'm flame polishing the edge, I have shaky hands, so I assume that at some point I'll hit the engraved areas........

OK, just kidding, one of the things I wanted it for was to smooth out the rastered areas. For example, if you read Dee's post about the nitelite....she rastered all of the acrylic except for the deer.....so if I did that, but only rastered very deeply to get some depth to the deer image, the rastered area would get very cloudy. But a quick swipe with the torch, cleans that up quickly.....but I don't want to lose the detail of the deer......make sense?