PDA

View Full Version : Anyone bought plastic resin glue in Chicago?

Ben Martin
10-30-2009, 5:48 PM
You would think in a city as big as Chicago that a store would actually have plastic resin glue in stock, I have called at least 30 Ace, Home Depot, Menard's, Lowe's, Woodcraft, Grainger, McMaster, Owl and even West Marine and nobody has it. Do any of you Chicagoans have a source that has it in stock?

Or am I just spinning my tires and should have ordered it online...

Frank Martin
10-30-2009, 6:19 PM
They may not know what you are asking about when you tell them you are looking for plastic resin glue, ask them with the brand name. I think one brand is Weldwood from DAP.

Jamie Buxton
10-30-2009, 8:43 PM
And at Woodcraft, they sell Pro-Glue Veneer Bond. It is a urea-formaldehyde in powder form -- exactly the same stuff as the Weldwood Plastic Resin.

Ben Martin
10-30-2009, 8:53 PM
And at Woodcraft, they sell Pro-Glue Veneer Bond. It is a urea-formaldehyde in powder form -- exactly the same stuff as the Weldwood Plastic Resin.

Not at our Woodcraft, the guy said they didn't stock anything like that. I would have expected they would...

Dave Novak
10-31-2009, 12:57 AM
from my experience, if Owl doesn't have it, you don't need it. Maybe the wrong person answered the phone. Eight years ago I moved 200 miles away to Springfield, and still drive to Owl for almost every woodworking need.

Bob Barkto
10-31-2009, 1:49 AM
I've bought it at the Palatine Woodcraft as recently as last spring.
Ask for "Pro-Glue Resin Veneer Bond". It's on their website currently.

I've seen it at some of the big box stores too. They sell Dap Weldwood Plastic Resin Glue.

Grainger is also a distributor for Dap Weldwood.

Ace no longer carries it so if you find it there it might be too old.

Not at our Woodcraft, the guy said they didn't stock anything like that. I would have expected they would...

Ben Martin
10-31-2009, 9:08 AM
from my experience, if Owl doesn't have it, you don't need it. Maybe the wrong person answered the phone. Eight years ago I moved 200 miles away to Springfield, and still drive to Owl for almost every woodworking need.

Well, according to the Des Plaines Ace, they have some in stock, hopefully it won't be too old, I read the thread about reading the date code, so I am prepared.

I will make a run to Owl anyways, my next project is probably going to be a bed and wanted to see what some nice pieces of clear QSWO would run me.