PDA

View Full Version : Help with Cost Estimate

James & Zelma Litzmann
10-30-2009, 5:44 PM
Can anyone give me an estimate of what to charge for a sign, 18 X 24, made out of LaserMax?

Scott Shepherd
10-30-2009, 6:49 PM
Depends on what's on it. Also, for a sign that large, I think engraving is a poor choice, cost wise. Depending on what's on it, you may be able to make it for far less using other methods, like vinyl.

I was asked to engrave some "FDC" signs and the letters were 8" tall or something like that. Engraving them that large took a while. Then the light bulb went off, I cut vinyl, put it on the sign and it was done. Far quicker and far less expensive for the customer.

What type of stuff is on it? That's a $30 piece of material. You can put it on sintra or PVC in vinyl for $30 complete.

Joe Pelonio
10-30-2009, 7:55 PM
I agree with Scott, not worth it for the customer to pay for engraving when vinyl on PVC is so much cheaper, unless it has a lot of tiny text. Once you get to (or above) 2" letters engraving doesn't look as good as vinyl.

Gary Hair
10-30-2009, 11:52 PM
Somewhere between 3 and 5 times the cost of the material plus $2.00 per minute to engrave - that's a minimum price based on my shop rates, yours may vary.

Gary

Mike Null
10-31-2009, 7:48 AM
I agree with the others--there are better ways. But my engraving price would be over $150 assuming a normal amount of text.

James & Zelma Litzmann
11-02-2009, 5:57 PM
We've always used this mostly for name tags and small signs but when the customer wants a bigger sign and you really aren't into making signs any other way. . . we did the best we could without sending him else where, we did actually tell them they could more than likly get a better price else where but we didn't run him off.

Thanks for all your input, I just feel so bad charging him that much, I know, I know, that's not good business sense. Thanks again for you help.

Joe Pelonio
11-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Seriously consider a wholesale business relationship with a local sign shop. I did that (actualloy the opposite) for my engraving until I bought the laser. You can still make money and not have to do the work, meanwhile still serving all of the needs of your customer.

Bill Cunningham
11-03-2009, 10:01 PM
I would be $156.37 'if' the customer was a shop, supplying a .ai or .cdr file with all text as curves, or an artwork charge based on $80.00 per hour..