PDA

View Full Version : Shop cabinet paint?

Jason White
10-30-2009, 4:55 PM
What type and color of paint would be good to paint my shop cabinets? Was thinking maybe gray? Should I use interior semi-gloss? Or is there something tougher that might be better?

Jason

Scott Hildenbrand
10-30-2009, 5:01 PM
Why go with a boring gray.. They're cabinets.. Let them pop a little.. Go with red, burgundy, blue, orange.. Something... Anything but gray..

Phil Phelps
10-30-2009, 5:04 PM
Why go with a boring gray.. They're cabinets.. Let them pop a little.. Go with red, burgundy, blue, orange.. Something... Anything but gray..

Okay. Pink

Dave Lehnert
10-30-2009, 5:17 PM
Hammered paint is often used for shop cabinets. I think it was WOOD magazine that did a test a few years ago that got good results.
http://www.rustoleum.com/images/product/ps_stopsrust_hammered04.jpg
http://www.rustoleum.com/Product.asp?frm_product_id=21&SBL=1

As far as color goes. I used gray in the early days of my shop and wish I had done a color to liven things up a bit. On my list of things to do.

I thought about using colors from my tools. Like JET white with red and black trim. Or Grizzly green with off white trim.
Also thought about making things match my Craftsman tool chests. Black doors and drawers with red face frames.

Better to use a gloss paint as it will hold up better to scrubbing than flat paint.

Doug Shepard
10-30-2009, 5:26 PM
I've used gray on a number of shop cabs over the years but it's an extremely pale gray just so it doesn't darken things up in the shop. Semi-gloss works for me.

Chris Tsutsui
10-30-2009, 5:37 PM
When it comes to things in the shop, I always choose "function" for my decision making.

Use light colored paints to help reflect light to brighten up the shop.

Use glossy paints, not matte. Dust sticks to matte and it will get scuffs and fingerprints easier.

I would use oil based paints. These are durable and will last a long time and withstand stain splashes and that sort much better.

I've used that rustoleum hammered paints on steel sculptures and it turns out nice. I think that would be a decent solution though a bit expensive.

Philip Rodriquez
10-30-2009, 5:47 PM
look through the "oops" paint at Home Depot. Make your decision from there. 2 bucks will go a long ways!

Scott Hildenbrand
10-30-2009, 6:02 PM
Okay. Pink

If my daughter ever starts taking up woodworking.. It'll be pink.. ;)

Buddy of mine had cabinets like this.. Freakin sharp... Granted, he was more a mechanic than a wood worker... Thus they had to be as good looking as his cars.

http://www.gillmetal.com/moduline/base4.jpg

Stephen Edwards
10-30-2009, 6:20 PM
[QUOTE= I thought about using colors from my tools. Like JET white with red and black trim. Or Grizzly green with off white trim. [/QUOTE]

That's kinda what I'm doing. I'm using a green, not quite the same as Grizzly but close. Face plates are made of ash with stain. I like it.

Erik Christensen
10-30-2009, 6:22 PM
and then I shoot a couple of coats of clear water poly on top so nothing sticks and they clean easy

functionality makes me happy so I get to decide design - wife picks color which makes her happy

good points on light colors not darkening the shop but I went with high bay T5 lights and have had some put on sun glasses in my shop

John Cavanaugh
10-30-2009, 8:23 PM
Be careful using hammered paint on wood vs mdf/plywood. I sent an email to the folks at Hammerite regarding usage on wood and they very strongly recommended against it, due to expansion/contraction with weather changes.

The wood magazine article I believe used it on MDF & pegboard, both of which should be fine.

For what its worth, I recently went thru the same dillema on choosing paint colors. I decided to go with black for supports, craftsman style red for cabinets/mdf, unaltered hardboard for tops and clear poly for maple wraps.

Hammered paint is often used for shop cabinets. I think it was WOOD magazine that did a test a few years ago that got good results.
http://www.rustoleum.com/images/product/ps_stopsrust_hammered04.jpg
http://www.rustoleum.com/Product.asp?frm_product_id=21&SBL=1

As far as color goes. I used gray in the early days of my shop and wish I had done a color to liven things up a bit. On my list of things to do.

I thought about using colors from my tools. Like JET white with red and black trim. Or Grizzly green with off white trim.
Also thought about making things match my Craftsman tool chests. Black doors and drawers with red face frames.

Better to use a gloss paint as it will hold up better to scrubbing than flat paint.

John Cavanaugh
10-30-2009, 8:25 PM
One other thing, dont use latex paint for anything that has a horizontal surface. The blocking will drive you nuts. I made that mistake on one of the first pieces in my shop that i painted. Now its solely enamel that I use for painting stuff in the shop.

What type and color of paint would be good to paint my shop cabinets? Was thinking maybe gray? Should I use interior semi-gloss? Or is there something tougher that might be better?

Jason