PDA

View Full Version : Drying roughed out bowls

skott nielsen
10-30-2009, 4:37 PM
I have a choice of putting shelves to store my freshly roughed out bowls in my shop which is heated at 50 degrees and then warmed up with a wood stove when working or storing them in a non heated covered pole shed.

The issue is which would cause less trouble as far as cracking. Being in the warm evironment which will flucuate some in temperature and have lower humdity in winter or being in the pole shed where they may reach 30 degrees below zero in the winter.

Experience and advice welcomed.

Skott

Reed Gray
10-30-2009, 5:21 PM
Start them out on the ground as far away from the stove as possible. The stove will really drop the relative humidity, and dry them way too quickly. The pole barn might work. If you store them out there, you may want to wrap them in a couple of layers of paper bags. A temperature of about 60 degrees is great.

robo hippy

Mike Lipke
10-30-2009, 5:57 PM
they say the slower the better, so I don't think in a wood heated shop is good while the wood stve is on, cuz it can get to way over 80 near the ceiling. zon the other hand, -30 is so cold it could acually split the wetter blanks.

I'd say near or on the floor, like one poster said, or bring them in if you get that kind of cold this winter.

Al Wasser
10-31-2009, 9:57 AM
We don't know where you are located or what the Rh in your area might be. If the Rh is low like much of the West keeping wood from cracking is a challenge. I have cut green wood here and anchorsealed within 24 hours and found it cracked. If you have the time you might try putting the rough turned item in a plastic bag with some shavings and then open it from time to time. It is a slow process but seems to work. You can also play with soap or DNA. Good luck