PDA

View Full Version : Belt / Disk Sander Questions

Mike Gadget
10-30-2009, 9:47 AM
I think my next purchase will be a Belt/Disk Sander.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to brands to look at or stay away from. Features or options that you find useful on yours. Source for belts and disks.

I have thought about the Ridgid OSS/Belt, because it is inexpensive and easy to pickup. Any thoughts on that as a beginners solution.

Your thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Dave Sweeney
10-30-2009, 10:23 AM
I've been more than pleased with my Hitachi SB10Y. Not sure if they still do but I think Lowes sells it for around $150. International Tool.com also has it for that price.

glenn bradley
10-30-2009, 10:53 AM
You don't mention size but your reference to the Ridgid OSS makes me think you are after something like the 6" disc/4"x36" belt that I have on one side of my fliptop stand. I have only used the belt/disc unit once since I got the Ridgid OSS. I never expected to use that little orange blob as much as I do. I bought a wide variety of belt grits from Kilngspor and find the tool amazingly handy.

Mike Gadget
10-30-2009, 11:39 AM
I started looking at the Grizzly 4x36/6" unit for $110, but then thought maybe I should bite the bullet and get a 6x48/9" the price jumped up considerably. I guess Since I am still working to figure out what I enjoy building, the Ridgid OSS would be a good inexpensive option while I figure things out.

I have been dropping lost of $$ on lately. I have bought a 12" CSMS and stand, 10 Table saw, 6" joiner, 13" planer, 3 routers, a router table, more router bits that I can remember, 5" ROS, Dust Collector, Freud Blades for my saws.... You get the idea. I dont mind buying tools, but I am always looking for a good price, or used tools in great shape.

In the case of the sander, I have not figured out what will be more useful belt/disk or belt/oss. Size is another issue, but I think having a small one is better thah not having one at all.

Mike

Zach England
10-30-2009, 11:51 AM
If it is one or the other I'd say get the spindle/belt since it allows you to get on the inside of tight curves.

Or get the disc/belt and some spindle attachments for the drill press. Those disc/belt combos are a dime a dozen on craigslist.

I have the ridgid and my only complaint is that there is no way to disable the up-down motion of the belt.It also has a miter track if that is useful to you. Variable speed would be nice, but for $200 that seems like a bit too much to ask. If you go to HD look for an open-box return. I got mine for $150 that way.

Bill Huber
10-30-2009, 12:54 PM
I had a 6 in. disk/belt sander and use it a lot but then I got the Ridgid and the disk/belt sander was sold a month later.

The Ridgid is a great tool and I use it all the time, at this point I don't think I could do without it.

The table has a miter slot and will fold down to a 45 degree angle, this is really nice. I have a Inca V27 that I use in it with the table at a 45 it is really nice to sneak up on those miter joints for boxes.

I really don't think you can beat the versatility for the money.

Lance Norris
10-30-2009, 5:20 PM
I have the Jet 6x48-9" disc. If this is the type machine you are thinking of, its a great one. Its not cheap, but is quality in every way.

http://www.amazon.com/708596K-JSG-96OS-4-Horsepower-115-Volt-1-Phase/dp/B000063INV/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1256937931&sr=8-2

Mike Gadget
11-02-2009, 12:54 PM
I think I am going to look at the Ridgid unit, but I am concerned about any items over 12". What is the maximum size that can be sanded using the Ridgid? Is the belt size on that unit a limiting factor?

Mike

Bruce Volden
11-02-2009, 3:25 PM
I purchased a 6" X 48" Grizzly about 10 ? years ago with the 10" circular. It is a stationary model. Cannot keep bearings in the thing. Tracking issues, noise, cheap easily bendable head and tail pulleys...you want me to go on??

Bruce

Rod Sheridan
11-03-2009, 8:08 AM
I had a General model 100 disk sander.

It was smooth and accurate, and boy could I get carried away with the sanding.:D

However I found that it wouldn't be used for months on end, so I sold it.

Regards, Rod.

Jim Becker
11-03-2009, 7:38 PM
Grizzly G1276 Belt/Disk combo has been good to me, although I rarely use it. (I should have bought an edge sander instead as I've only used the disk once in five years)

Paul Johnstone
11-04-2009, 11:20 AM
I have a belt/disk combo machine. I use the belt quite a bit, mostly on nonfurniture jobs/tasks.

The disk on these combo units are generally pretty small. I guess they'd be ok for small segmented turnings, but I have a hard time finding a good use for the disk. I always use the belt.. So my point is this. Unless you have a specific use in mind for the disk sander, focus on the belt feature.
If you have a specific use for a disk sander, you are probably better off getting a dedicated unit.

I actually bought a huge disk sander off CL just because it was a good deal. It's still parked in the corner, just like the former owner. :lol: Although some day, I will find time for some segemented turnings.

As far as using a disk sander to "sneak up" on miters, I have a clone of the lion trimmer which IMO is a much better tool for the job, and not that expensive (compared to a dedicated disk).

I agree that if you are in no hurry, scour CL for a used unit.

glenn bradley
11-04-2009, 3:58 PM
I think I am going to look at the Ridgid unit, but I am concerned about any items over 12". What is the maximum size that can be sanded using the Ridgid? Is the belt size on that unit a limiting factor?

Mike

There is some technique involved in sanding longer pieces. Well, there is some technique involved in sanding short pieces for that matter. If you routinely do longer pieces, I would select your sander accordingly. The oscillating motion removes much of the follow up hand sanding to get the machine marks out though compared to a static belt. That is my favorite part.

Wayne Jolly
11-04-2009, 6:22 PM
As the owner of a 1950's Craftsman 6x48 with 9in disk sander, I use it quite often and I am really glad I have it. But I have also been salivating over a nice oscillating spindle sander too. I don't think I could justify buying one because I also have an inexpensive set of drums for my drill press that I use occasionally. They don't oscillate, but they get it done for me.

But I have to say that whatever you do, look at dust collection!! Mine has absolutely no dust collection whatever and when I finish sanding anything, my entire garage and everything in it (and I do mean EVERYTHING) is the color of whatever wood I was sanding. If I have been sanding maple, it looks like it snowed. If I have been sanding black walnut, it looks like nuclear winter. You should see it when I sand bloodwood. :-)

xeddog

Chris Tsutsui
11-04-2009, 7:04 PM
+1 for keep an eye on craigslist.

I got lucky and found a DELTA 31-695 w/ mobile base for $50 and it came with extra sand paper.

Dust collection is a nice feature on sanders and so is the ability to make jigs for the disc sander to sand at specific angles for scarf joints or adjusting miters.

A 6" wide belt sander comes in handy if you make small boxes. I made a series of small dovetail keepsake boxes and I can flush the top, bottom, and lids in a jiffy with the stationary belt sander.

Other than that, my sander just collects saw dust.

Now the rigid is in a different categorie since it can function as an oscillating spinder sander. Now some people will put a drum on their drill press and this will give them a spindle sander... Though if you need to do this a lot and sand curves then you should go with the rigid combo which seems pretty versatile. You just won't have a disc sander though...

Bob Stroman
11-10-2009, 3:03 PM
Source for belts and disks.

Mike,

I know a great place for cloth backed sanding belts at unbeatable prices. ;)

If you don't find a source, just ask. The place I have in mind can make sanding belts in Aluminum Oxide, Silicon Carbide, and Zirconia.

RJ