PDA

View Full Version : Freud SD608 Dial-A-Width and Sawstop Industrial

Drew Sanderson
10-30-2009, 7:11 AM
Would anyone be willing to give me a definitive answer if the Freud SD608 Dial-A-Width stacked dado fits the Sawstop industrial table saw and allows the full width to be used. The saw stop is from 2006.

I have seen conflicting posts. Below are some. The cited quotes aren't exactly definite that I can use the full 29/36" width.

Any help would be great. I will email sawstop this morning and post back.

From http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10743

"1) Submitted by Tim, from Fort Madison, IA on 7/21/2008
Customer Rating:
Easy to use. Great results. Maximum dado capacity of blades limited by my Sawstop, but don't think I will ever need to cut a dado that wide."

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?referrerid=5960&t=29361

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=373795&postcount=7

Great dado head, and for those interested, it does fit the SawStop.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=876017&postcount=1

We run the Freud Dial-a-width blade, 8", and even when using a 3/4" sled we "could" cut to 1-1/4" depth, or a bit more. However, when cutting deep, take it in a couple of passes as it is easy to have a dado throw wood at you. The dial-a-width works well in terms of speed of set up to a precise width. The extra $50 or so for this option is a good value, at least to us.

Mike Heidrick
10-30-2009, 7:21 AM
Why would you ever need the MAX width of a dado blade? Thats why the fence moves. Plan out your cuts.

Drew Sanderson
10-30-2009, 7:25 AM
That was not helpful or consistent with the type of responses most give here on sawmillcreek.

Darrell Bade
10-30-2009, 8:14 AM
I have both of those items. I know it works up to 3/4" which is as wide as I have done but that leaves one chipper in the box. If someone that uses this combination does not give you a definite answer before tonight I will put my full set on and see if it fits and let you know.

You could move the fence like the other poster mentioned, but that is not really what you are wanting to know.

johnny means
10-30-2009, 9:07 AM
Why would you ever need the MAX width of a dado blade? Thats why the fence moves. Plan out your cuts.

Because his dados are that wide and he doesn't want to do test cuts for every successive shelf or whatever.

Wouldn't using the fence to adjust dado width negate the point of having a highly precise, easy to set-up Dial-a-width dado head.

Shawn Pixley
10-30-2009, 10:02 AM
I have the SS Contractor (admittedly a bit tricked out) and the Dal a width. You can use it full width. You will need to swap the dial a width to the right side and leave off the right pressure washer to allow enougth thread engagement. Works very well.

Drew Sanderson
10-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Even if it doesn't go wider than 3/4 I can't see that being a show stopper as the dial seems like it would be worth it not to have to bother with shims. Good to know it will definitely handle 3/4"! Thanks for confirming that Darrell and thanks for offering to test the larger width :)

Because his dados are that wide and he doesn't want to do test cuts for every successive shelf or whatever.

Wouldn't using the fence to adjust dado width negate the point of having a highly precise, easy to set-up Dial-a-width dado head.

Thank you... You are correct :) If I wanted to move the fence, why even bother with a dado set.

Philip Rodriquez
10-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Yes, it will work. The SS ICS has the same capacity as any other saw. I would guess that the person did not know that you only use the arbor nut when running a dado at full width. :eek:

Darrell Bade
10-30-2009, 1:18 PM
You are correct about the dial a width being very convienent. I usually get it set in one adjustment. Set it up per the instructions,measure your test groove with calipers, do the math and adjust accordingly. The dial is accurate per click to what Freud says it is.

Sound like your question has been answered, so I will mark that off the list of things I need to do tonight.

Howard Acheson
10-30-2009, 1:57 PM
Here is the formula from Freud that allows you to answer your question.

Arbor length - nut thickness - 7/32" (hub thickness) = max dado width.

Drew Sanderson
10-30-2009, 3:13 PM
Thank you to everyone. Good to hear it from personal experieince that it is a go on the SD608.

I got confirmation from SawStop as well. Below is quoted from an email to me.

Hopefully this post will help others with the same question and maybe sawstop service will get a few less emails.

As always... Thanks again everyone!

Yes, the SD608 is compatible with CB53xxx. You can only get 13/16"
safely, though. That's the maximum width dado stack that will safely fit
on our arbor. Note: you don't need to use the arbor washer when a dado
stack is installed.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Regards,
Roger Garcia

----------
SawStop LLC
Service Manager

service@sawstop.com
tel: (503) 582-9934
fax: (503) 570-3303

SawStop LLC
9564 SW Tualatin Road
Tualatin, OR 97062

Dave Mendoza
10-30-2009, 6:54 PM
Wow! I knew joining this forum would be worth it. I've had both my SawStop and SD608 for 2.5 and I have never used both of them together. I'll try it out this weekend and cut some dados for a new shelf I am building. Thanks guys!

John Coloccia
01-19-2011, 12:26 PM
I have the SS Contractor (admittedly a bit tricked out) and the Dal a width. You can use it full width. You will need to swap the dial a width to the right side and leave off the right pressure washer to allow enougth thread engagement. Works very well.

I can't even get to 3/4" on mine. How do you get full width with a Dial-A-Width?

Drew Sanderson
01-19-2011, 12:34 PM
I can't even get to 3/4" on mine. How do you get full width with a Dial-A-Width? Are you leaving off the "washer"?

John Coloccia
01-19-2011, 12:43 PM
Sure am. I have a SS contractor, and about 5/8" is all I can get, and that's with partial engagement of the threads. 3/4" would be downright scary. You ICS is probably longer, but I wonder how Shawn managed it on the Contractor.

Drew Sanderson
01-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Edit.. read your post wrong