PDA

View Full Version : making 4in diameter plugs

Kacey Zach
10-29-2009, 11:18 PM
How can I make the buttons on the fronts?

They represent the lego buttons on a lego and are 4in in diameter on this model. I tried a hole cutter, but I had some problems and have been a bit skittish with the hole cutter since it twisted up some stuff on me last time I used it.

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae357/kszach/lego_base.jpg

Stephen Edwards
10-29-2009, 11:23 PM
I would use a circle cutter/fly cutter in a drill press, making that that the cutter blade is oriented such that the circles that you'd be cutting have sides that are 90 degrees to the plugs.

Radek Kowalski
10-29-2009, 11:42 PM
What about turning the buttons. It would be like a coaster, shouldn't be to hard to do. Let me know if your intrested in something like that.

Paul Atkins
10-30-2009, 1:36 AM
Lathe - Or make a template and use a flush trim bit on a router.

Kenneth Whiting
10-30-2009, 2:17 AM
I would use my scroll saw

Chris Barnett
10-30-2009, 3:05 AM
Cut a spindle 4 inch diameter and slice on BS into the buttons. Less than a five minute job on wood lathe.

Peter Quinn
10-30-2009, 5:07 AM
Circle cutting jig on the BS, then 1/16" smaller circle cutting jig on the router table if cleaner surface is desired, or clean up on horizontal belt sander if available.

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-30-2009, 12:03 PM
Five ways to skin that cat. Every one will work.

I bet you $6.00 you couldn't get that much information elsewhere for $6.00

Matt Day
10-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Cut a spindle 4 inch diameter and slice on BS into the buttons. Less than a five minute job on wood lathe.

I'm with Chris on this one.

Bill Huber
10-30-2009, 12:43 PM
I vote for the band saw, and the router.

The problem with a hole saw or a fly cutter is you need to have a hole in the center. With the band saw or a jig saw you don't have to have the hole in the center, just a small dimple will do.

Last year I made 50 spools, the center hubs were 3 inches in diameter.
I first cut a 3 inch circle out of MDF and cleaned it up and made it smooth.
I then cut plywood circles for the hubs, the circles were over sized by about 1/8 inch (1/16 on each side). Used 2 sided tape and attached them to the template and finished them on the router table.

I did the same thing for the spool sides only they were 9 inches in diameter and I used hard board.

Kacey Zach
10-30-2009, 9:58 PM
shifting gears a bit here...

I have 40 of those 4in dia, 1in tall discs (buttons or whatever they are called) to make. I may go with 3in instead, btw.

How would you make them?

The entire table will be painted as shown. I am thinking the jig (I'd have to make one), may be a bit time consuming.

Here is another idea... Cut 3 or 4in diameter PVC pipe into 1in sections and fill the inside with bondo or joint compound? Thoughts? Of course, attachment would be an issue.... hmmmm. must be an easier way.

Mike Heidrick
10-30-2009, 10:27 PM
If you want them made from wood - I would use a plunge router with a Jasper 400J circle jig mounted to the bottom. There is a plate that can be used that you double stick to your work - no holes in the circle. Router makes a smooth cut so no clean up.

Gene Howe
10-31-2009, 8:58 AM
Why not turn a 36" long 4" diameter "pole" and cut 'em off on the band saw?

David DeCristoforo
10-31-2009, 12:31 PM
Any of the proposed methods will produce the result you want. But I'm curious why you are not comfortable with using a hole saw. Mounted in a drill press with your stock clamped securely to the table, this would seem to be a simple operation. With everything held fast, you don't even need to use the center pilot so no hole in the center to deal with. I can only assume that your "skittish" feeling comes from having attempted to use a large hole saw in a hand held drill which can often provide some unpleasant experiences. But with a drill press and a good stock clamping strategy I can't see why there would be any worries.

Kacey Zach
10-31-2009, 3:07 PM
I think that i had the cutting edge of the hole cutter incorrectly positioned and it caught a knot in a board I was cutting twisting things up pretty badly. I don't have a hole saw the correct size and Rockler does not carry one that big, I may stop at Ace later today. The hole cutter that I have is this: http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-Mfg-Co-In/dp/B00004T7P1/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1257016357&sr=8-2

I don't know if I bent something when I did that twist up, cause now things shake a bit when I use it.

David DeCristoforo
10-31-2009, 3:11 PM
That's not a hole saw, it's a "fly cutter" This is a hole saw:

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-49-56-0211-4-Inch-Hole-Teeth/dp/B00008Z9Z4