PDA

View Full Version : Marble Marble Marble Marble Marble Marble Marble

Steve Clarkson
10-29-2009, 11:10 PM
You'll never hear me call it the M-Word.......I LOVE marble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Null
10-29-2009, 11:31 PM
Steve

That's really nice work. Where did you buy it?;)

Steve Clarkson
10-29-2009, 11:53 PM
Mike, I just crossed you off my Christmas list.

Steve Eide
10-30-2009, 1:17 AM
Whoa, you really hit the nail on the head Steve. Very nice work

Cliff Patrick
10-30-2009, 1:47 AM
Very nice job Steve. Looks great.

Bob Savage
10-30-2009, 2:14 AM
Very nice, Steve!

Steve

Zing! :D

laura passek
10-30-2009, 2:21 AM
WOW, very nice job.

Mladen Pavic
10-30-2009, 2:27 AM
marble is great material, nice work

Dan Hintz
10-30-2009, 6:37 AM
:p http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/lachen/laughing-smiley-014.gif

Steve, if I'm ever single again, better lock your daughter up ;)

Frank Corker
10-30-2009, 7:09 AM
Best piece I've seen you do Steve! Nice work, great detail.

ROY DICK
10-30-2009, 7:24 AM
Outstanding work Steve.

Roy

Guy Mathews
10-30-2009, 7:35 AM
Steve,

2010 will be my 3rd trip to IWF in Atlanta. That show is noted for showcasing "The best of the best." This piece should be at your laser manufacturers booth next year proudly displayed above all the others.

Black and white photography is hard enough because you have to make up for the absence of color, but to do it on a piece of marble... to coin a term "Holy frigging black and white Batman!"

That is just awesome.

Guy

Albert Nix
10-30-2009, 7:50 AM
Hey thats Nice Steve. Did you use photograv? did you use a standard blk and wht setting on the lazer? Come on walk us through it man. We want to know!!!!!:D

Steve Clarkson
10-30-2009, 8:08 AM
Thanks everyone.....although I really can't take much credit. It's the marble. It's soooo easy to work with and greyscale pictures come out looking great. I did not use photograv or even the gold method. I simply arrange the file with a border and such, took the picture into PP and converted to greyscale, added the vignette, and adjusted the tone curve slightly......hit the print button and out came this. So basically, there was no skill involved.

Guy Mathews
10-30-2009, 8:21 AM
Thanks everyone.....although I really can't take much credit. It's the marble. It's soooo easy to work with and greyscale pictures come out looking great. I did not use photograv or even the gold method. I simply arrange the file with a border and such, took the picture into PP and converted to greyscale, added the vignette, and adjusted the tone curve slightly......hit the print button and out came this. So basically, there was no skill involved.

Steve,

You are too modest my friend!
Call it easy if you want to, but by your description, I should be able to buy an Epilog this afternoon and print that tonight. I consider myself a quick study and fast learner and all that garbage, but c'mon... there is a skill level involved in this and you have it, and used it.

If it were that easy, there would be M-word plaques everywhere!

Once again, AWESOME!!!!!!

Guy

Mark Ross
10-30-2009, 8:46 AM
Steve,

Is this just your basic Home Depot type Marble? I can't find black marble where I am at. Lowe's carries granite only and Menard's has marble but nothing in black. Thanks. I may have to make a trip into the "big city" to go to a Home Depot...

Mike Null
10-30-2009, 8:51 AM
Steve

Aw, c'mon. Put me back on your Christmas list. That's easily your best work yet.

Dee Gallo
10-30-2009, 9:10 AM
Boy have you come a loooong way, partner! Just goes to show what practice and study will do for you. And determination. This is even better than Amanda Chocolate! And THAT was impressive.

I'm so glad you didn't throw in the towel, it looks like this is going to be your year! Good work:D

cheers, dee

Steve Clarkson
10-30-2009, 9:47 AM
I never said I have EVER sold one of these.....so, no matter how good it is, if it just sits in my livingroom.....what good is it?

OK, Mike.....I'll put you back on my Christmas CARD list......and if you're a good boy, Santa might bring you a present NEXT year.

No, this is not your standard marble. I had to go to a high priced marble and stone wholesaler and they found someone somewhere that sells this marble with absolutely NO veining......it cost me $103 for a case of 10......well worth it!

Lee DeRaud
10-30-2009, 10:41 AM
OK, Mike.....I'll put you back on my Christmas CARD list......and if you're a good boy, Santa might bring you a present NEXT year.Aw, don't be a grinch...go ahead and give him one of those acrylic dog-training sticks.:p

David Fairfield
10-30-2009, 10:53 AM
Just saw this, that is really top notch work. Probably helps that the subject matter is a beauty too!

Dave

Belinda Barfield
10-30-2009, 11:26 AM
I never said I have EVER sold one of these.....so, no matter how good it is, if it just sits in my livingroom.....what good is it?

OK, Mike.....I'll put you back on my Christmas CARD list......and if you're a good boy, Santa might bring you a present NEXT year.

No, this is not your standard marble. I had to go to a high priced marble and stone wholesaler and they found someone somewhere that sells this marble with absolutely NO veining......it cost me $103 for a case of 10......well worth it!

I believe you have the hang of it now Steve! Great job!

I think I've mentioned before that quality marble is the only way to go. I think you've proven that point! :)

Steve Clarkson
10-30-2009, 12:07 PM
Aw, don't be a grinch...go ahead and give him one of those acrylic dog-training sticks.:p

I've been looking on E-Bay and all I can find are ugly green HEALING sticks.........

Ray Uebner
10-30-2009, 4:06 PM
Great job Steve. You do some nice work.

Larry Bratton
10-30-2009, 5:27 PM
Where did you get the marble Steve? Nice work, I like it.

Wolf Nitsch
10-30-2009, 6:12 PM
WOW thats great work. You should be VERY proud. I have just come in from the last four hours of trying to do the same thing on black granite with a home picture and I'm ready to call the client and tell them that I can not complete the work. Nice job Steve.

Steve Clarkson
10-30-2009, 6:56 PM
Hey.......no using the G-Word on THIS thread Wolf!!!!!

donald bugansky
10-30-2009, 6:57 PM
Steve,

I'm following on to Mike's question (which I'm sure he meant what I am asking) as to where you bought it, the marble that is?

Is there something special about it or any basic black marble. Can you share the setting info you used so I can see how bad I can screw it up? If I can clean up my error rate by just .00001%, that would equate to saving 84 slabs of marble. Heck, it might even save an entire quarry! :)

Thanks again Steve.

Bugs

Steve Clarkson
10-30-2009, 7:21 PM
Bugs,

To be honest, I don't have a clue where they got it. I just went into a stone & tile store and told them that I wanted black marble with absolutely no veining. Somewhere, they found it. An engraving on any marble will look good.....you just don't want a huge white vein running from corner to corner.

You can't find black marble at HD or Lowes....but Mr. Cunningham recommends the browm marble there. Go into any bath & tile store and ask for a free sample black marble tile.....you should get enough to practice on.

I used the settings recommended in my Epilog book....30s/100p/600dpi for a 45 watt. Search the forum for what other people recommend.....some people get great results with high speed/low power and others just the opposite.

Trust me.....I already have a quarry in my back yard.......but it's filled with that OTHER stuff.

But remember......you can't put marble outdoors.

Martin Boekers
10-30-2009, 8:36 PM
JDS sells marble plaques. Beveled edge and hanger on back.

I got a case in a couple weeks ago (10 pieces i think)

After award season is over I'll hit some tests and post.

Marty

Wolf Nitsch
10-30-2009, 9:02 PM
Sorry, I'm so ashamed!!!!!!!!!! But I did get my project done. whew!

Curt Stallings
10-31-2009, 7:04 PM
Steve,

Did you use the photograph dithering setting in the Epilog print driver, or leave it set on the clipart setting?
Thanks,
Curt

Steve Clarkson
11-01-2009, 7:36 AM
I left it on the clip art setting.....no dithering.

Lee DeRaud
11-03-2009, 1:14 PM
JDS sells marble plaques. Beveled edge and hanger on back.

I got a case in a couple weeks ago (10 pieces i think)Six per case in 8x10, FWIW.

Wish they had 12x12 non-beveled though: the local tile people act like I'm on drugs when I ask about veinless black marble.

Belinda Barfield
11-03-2009, 1:23 PM
Six per case in 8x10, FWIW.

Wish they had 12x12 non-beveled though: the local tile people act like I'm on drugs when I ask about veinless black marble.

Lee,
Try G & L Marble (Atlanta) 800-377-9981. Last week they had 2000 or so sq ft of 12 x 12 China Black No Vein for around $9 a tile.

Bill Cunningham
11-03-2009, 10:28 PM
Yup Steve.. It's amazing what you get with 'real' marble.. That was not a bad price.. Most the the tile dealers around here want $15.00 a tile.. I get good results for outdoor project with the 'other' granite they call marble, but NOTHING reproduces a black and white photo like real marble.. And the nice thing is, you can go over it twice with the same power, and it only gets better.. the stuff is practically goof proof..

Steve Clarkson
11-04-2009, 8:20 AM
the stuff is practically goof proof..

That's why it is PERFECT for me!

Dan Hintz
11-04-2009, 9:22 AM
Every time they make something idiot-proof, someone goes and makes a better idiot!

Belinda Barfield
11-04-2009, 9:40 AM
Every time they make something idiot-proof, someone goes and makes a better idiot!

And that would be ME!:o

James & Zelma Litzmann
11-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Steve, the photo on the marble is absolutely beautiful, you really did a great job, thanks for sharing.