PDA

View Full Version : First Experiment with Inlay-Torquoise

Steve Mawson
10-29-2009, 9:41 PM
Bracelet is walnut and maple about 2.5" diameter x 2.25" wide and 3/16" thick. Turned on a chuck in expansion mode. I believe the turquoise needs to be a little finer, I guess it can be crushed into a finer dust. Inlay routed out with a high speed Power Carver. Super glue in first then turquoise after that. Built up and then sanded down. Takes some time to sand down, started with a old piece of sanding belt, much stiffer than regular sandpaper. My lady that allows my addiction to the vortex likes Kokopeli so that is what got picked to do first. Had a terrible time getting in focus so please excuse the picture. Comments & suggestions welcome.

Ryan Baker
10-29-2009, 10:06 PM
It's a nice Kokopeli. I think it looks good with the coarse turquoise.

Jeff Nicol
10-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Steve, I think it also looks fine with the coarse stone. If it were finer it would lose the look of inlayed stone. So you did good, I have some of them to make for the gallery but never seem to get them on the list, maybe because the list is about 10 feet long! Keep up the good work!

Thanks for sharing,

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
10-29-2009, 10:38 PM
I like it Steve. I agree the stone look makes it.

Allen Neighbors
10-29-2009, 11:39 PM
Well done!! I love the course stone look to it, also.
You can crush some turquoise into fine dust for narrow cracks, but I don't think you can improve on this piece! :o)

Ken Glass
10-29-2009, 11:51 PM
Steve,
Its hard to believe its your first Inlay with Stone. The course stone really sets off the Bracelet. I really like it. Well done.

Steve Schlumpf
10-29-2009, 11:57 PM
Very nice! Another vote for the course stone! The texture of the stone was adds to the piece! Thanks for sharing!

David E Keller
10-30-2009, 12:20 AM
I like it and perhaps more importantly, my wife really likes it. Agree with the others that I like the course stone.