PDA

View Full Version : New Griz 15" Grizly planer arrived today...with major damage

scott vroom
10-29-2009, 9:12 PM
FedX delivered my new 15" planer today. I removed the wooden crate and immediately noticed major damage. The entire 24" steel structure that holds the on/off switch was bent way back; the entire left side stacking columns were bent noticeably toward the rear, the case was badly damaged. There were 4 holes in the crate siding that matched 4 rods protruding from the planer, obvious signs the damage occurred after crating. I'm calling Grizzly tomorrow and am hoping to meet no resistance in getting this unit returned and a new one shipped. Anyone here have any experience with return/reship? Hiow smooth did it go and how long did it take to get a replacement tool?

Thanks!

Harold Burrell
10-29-2009, 10:25 PM
I will be interested to hear how this all comes out for you. But, it is my understanding that Grizzly is famous for their customer service. I'm thinking you should have no problem.

Good luck!

Dave Lehnert
10-29-2009, 10:37 PM
Did you note the crate damage on the bill? If you sign and don't note any damage to the crate or product you are saying it arrived in good condition. A little harder to file for shipping damage.

With that much damage to the crate the best thing would have been to refuse shipment. But too late for that.

Good news is you purchased it from Grizzly. You will be taken care of.

george wilson
10-29-2009, 10:45 PM
Maybe send Grizzly pictures of it without unpacking it all the way.

scott vroom
10-29-2009, 10:59 PM
Other than the 4 small round holes the packing crate didn't appear damaged. We did notice however when looking more closely after the driver left that some of the nails holding the crate together were bent as if someone had attempted to repair the crate from a fall. The damage is so severe it is not reasonable that I could have caused it....I would literally have had to picked up the 650 lb tool and tossed it into the ground...I mean the 2" steel columns that hold the planer head up (and on which the head slides) are bent!!

Anyway, I'm hoping the stories about great cust serv at Grizz are true!!

Shiraz Balolia
10-29-2009, 11:11 PM
Anyway, I'm hoping the stories about great cust serv at Grizz are true!!

They sure are.

Dave Lehnert
10-29-2009, 11:13 PM
I work on a dock in a retail environment. We note every little rip and dent in a box or crate. Once a bill is signed clear some company's just say you are SOL. Why it is so important to inspect your shipment before putting your mark by the X.
Not sure about FEDX freight but the Ground guys own their own trucks. They make sure there is no damage to a package before they pick it up because if there is damage the driver eats the damage himself.
But like I said Grizzly will take care of you. They will pressure FEDX to make it right.

Dave Lehnert
10-29-2009, 11:16 PM
In case you don't know the post #6 above is the President of Grizzly tools.
I think you are in good hands.

johnny means
10-29-2009, 11:23 PM
does any one else find Shiraz's omnipresence kind spooky?:D

glenn bradley
10-29-2009, 11:27 PM
I must say that I have sometimes wondered if he has some sort of Grizzly forum-post detector software. Spooky or not, the man's got my vote.

scott vroom
10-29-2009, 11:44 PM
They sure are.

Shiraz, thanks.

Rick Boyett
10-30-2009, 12:22 AM
I must say that I have sometimes wondered if he has some sort of Grizzly forum-post detector software. Spooky or not, the man's got my vote.

Yea, Papa Grizzly is always on the patrol on all of the major woodworking forums. IMO the man flat out cares about his customers.

He makes some pretty cool guitars too :)

Wayne Sparkman
10-30-2009, 12:24 AM

Not so mysterious. All it takes is a Google Alert set up:
http://www.google.com/alerts?hl=en Set it up, and they send you an email everytime your selected phrase appears on the web.

Plus, this thread is already indexed and posted on Google (those boys are fast!):
http://www.google.com/search?q=%3ANew+Griz+15%22+Grizly+planer+arrived+t oday...with+major+damage%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a

Peter Aeschliman
10-30-2009, 1:48 AM
I'm glad I live within an hour and a half of the Grizz headquarters. I think if I buy a big machine from them, I'm just going to take a day off work and pick it up myself.

I'd rather do that than have to deal with the carriers who really do seem to damage these large packages often. Seems like there's a post like this every few days!

Dave Odekirk
10-30-2009, 3:40 AM
After 3 deliveries / 3 damaged machines from various manufacturers over the last year, I've decided I will now make the trek myself to get my equipment. Sorry truck drivers and fork lift operators. You are now out of the loop as far as I'm concerned. Besides, we all need a day off now and then.

Rick Fisher
10-30-2009, 4:57 AM
They sure are.

That there is one of the things that makes Grizzly a cool company.. You can take that to the bank..

Matt Meiser
10-30-2009, 8:07 AM
I'm sure they will take care of you, but even the 4 small holes should have been noted but I bet you would have met with resistance to doing so. When I got my edge sander the box was pretty beat up. The driver was rather ticked that I insisted on noting the damage and kept making comments about how busy he was and didn't have time for this so I didn't waste his time further by tipping him. Luckily the sander has enough foam around it that it didn't matter and everything was just fine.

Curt Harms
10-30-2009, 8:48 AM
That there is one of the things that makes Grizzly a cool company.. You can take that to the bank..

And I suspect he does:D. And he deserves to.

Danny Hamsley
10-30-2009, 9:02 AM
2 months ago I purchased the same 15" planer with the spiral cutterhead. The crate had a hole in the side and there was gear oil leaking out of the crate. The crate was opened and we saw that the gearbox was busted and all the oil had leaked out. Apparently, a forklift fork had penetrated the crate and trashed the gearbox. I refused shipment due to the damage and UPS loaded it back on the truck. UPS should have noticed this damage before they ever delivered the planer.

This was on a Tuesday. I immediately called Grizzly customer service and they created a case #, and later that same day, a customer service rep called me back, apologized for the problem, and told me that they were shipping me a replacement unit. The next Monday, the planer arrived. That is just 4 business days folks! This unit was fine.

You cannot get much better customer service than that! However, my observation has been that the customer service may be that good because they get a lot of practice due to shipping damage. Hopefully, Mr. Shiraz, you guys have initiated an improvement project to reduce shipping damage as I am sure that it is driving y'all crazy since it is happening in-route where you have no control.

I have to say that I love this planer, and I feel very good about doing business with Grizzly. I will be a repeat customer.

Harold Burrell
10-30-2009, 9:17 AM
I'm glad I live within an hour and a half of the Grizz headquarters. I think if I buy a big machine from them, I'm just going to take a day off work and pick it up myself.

I'd rather do that than have to deal with the carriers who really do seem to damage these large packages often. Seems like there's a post like this every few days!

I too live close to a Grizzly showroom. It is oh so much better to get the stuff yourself.

It is also WAY too cool to just go there and browse...and drool...and covet...

JohnT Fitzgerald
10-30-2009, 9:42 AM
In case you don't know the post #6 above is the President of Grizzly tools.
I think you are in good hands.

Very cool!

Very nice guitars on the Grizz website - he does nice work....

Jerome Hanby
10-30-2009, 9:50 AM
You know, I never really though much about Grizzly one was or the other, but knowing that they are interested enough in their customers to keep an eye on this forum has me sold. Think I see some green in my future.

Same deal with Lee Valley...

Ken Fitzgerald
10-30-2009, 9:53 AM
I too live close to a Grizzly showroom. It is oh so much better to get the stuff yourself.

It is also WAY too cool to just go there and browse...and drool...and covet...

Harold,

Do they charge for damage due to drooling?:rolleyes:

Harold Burrell
10-30-2009, 10:09 AM
Harold,

No. Not that I know of. In fact, I think they encourage it.

I do try to be thoughtful, though. When I visit, I wear a bib.

Craig McDaniel
10-30-2009, 10:09 AM
When my 15" planer arrived, it was laying on its side in the back of the truck and had gear oil leaking from the crate.

I called Grizzly customer service before letting the driver take it off of the truck. Their advise was to either refuse delivery and they'd send a replacement or open the crate and inspect for damage. The tech that they transferred me to suggested that if the crate had simply fallen over, it was probably fine, but they'd still take it back if it wasn't since I had called them before accepting delivery.

So I gave the driver a choice of taking the planer back or sitting there in my garage and watching me inspect/assemble it. He fussed and moaned, then we both had to talk to his dispatcher, then he fussed and moaned some more. In the end, he sat there and watched me clean, assemble and run the machine.

If it hadn't been for Grizzly's assurances that I'd be taken care of, I'd have never let him unload the truck...

Rod Sheridan
10-30-2009, 10:12 AM

Good thinking Harold, I'll copy that when I go to the Felder open house next weekend.

I don't want to get kicked out of the showroom, how embarrassing:D.

Regards, Rod

Rick Moyer
10-30-2009, 10:18 AM
+1 for picking it up yourself (I know most of you can't do that).

So far I have picked up a G0555 bandaw, G0586 Jointer, G0440 cyclone, G0691 Table saw, and a bunch of misc. smaller stuff over the years and none of it was damaged! It make me believe that the public carriers (UPS, FedEx, other motor freight carriers,etc.) are the ones causing the damages. This isn't to say that some of the tools couldn't be packaged a lot better, but then that cost would probably be passed on to the comsumer, too.

Harold Burrell
10-30-2009, 10:37 AM
Good thinking Harold, I'll copy that when I go to the Felder open house next weekend.

I don't want to get kicked out of the showroom, how embarrassing:D.

Regards, Rod

You might want to also wear the helmet that you are wearing in your avatar (I assume that is you) along with the bib.

That way, you will be sure to get special attention.

Matt Meiser
10-30-2009, 10:43 AM
Harold,

Why do you think they have those tent sales--its all that rusty cast iron. :D

Rod Sheridan
10-30-2009, 11:31 AM
You might want to also wear the helmet that you are wearing in your avatar (I assume that is you) along with the bib.

That way, you will be sure to get special attention.

Good idea, and yes that's me on the Blueridge on my way to Biltmore in Asheville NC...........What a fantastic vacation that was.....Rod.

John Harden
10-30-2009, 11:38 AM
Shipping damage is far too common and a major problem. The advice people have been giving about checking the shipment over carefully before signing anything is dead on. If its totally trashed, it is often best to just refuse delivery. If you do decide to accept it, always write down on the receipt form what damage there appears to be.

Even if you only write that "there appears to be punctures or penetrations through the outer carboard covering and that further inspection is necessary to determine if there is damage", this will help your case later. Taking digital photos of it as it is being delivered is also good, ideally with the delivery truck and/or driver in the frame. Same thing applies if it is FOB and you pick it up from a freight yard. When in doubt, call the company you purchased the item from before signing anything.

In my experience, companies who primarily ship their products (versus having a local retail store) typically have their crating and packing down pretty well, so it is rarely their fault.

I recently ordered two very large and heavy woodworking tools. Both are being shipped to my local freight yard where I'll go retrieve them. Right now, they're in Deleware and in fine shape. Three large pallets. However, they will likely get passed from trailer to trailer to get to SoCal. Each transfer is an opportunity for the carrier to damage something.

I'll be following my own advice and bringing my camera with me when I go pick them up next week.

Good luck with your challenges. I'm sure they'll take care of it for you.

Regards,

John

Scott Vigder
10-30-2009, 11:51 AM

I'm hoping he'll answer my prayers for that woodworker specific floor-model DRILL PRESS.

Close your eyes and repeat after me; I do believe in Papa Grizz! I do believe in Papa Grizz!

Bob Borzelleri
10-30-2009, 12:33 PM
I have purchased only one large shop tool by mail order. It happened to be from Grizzly (G0440 Cyclone and stand) and, for those with good memories, I documented the purchase from beginning to setup right here at the Creek.

What stands out with respect to this unfortunate planer arrival was the delivery of the cyclone which went without a hitch. I think Conover was the shipper and they didn't do anything to the boxes other than move them, apparently gingerly, from Grizzly's back door to my front door (actually, I went down and picked the boxes up at the terminal in Sacramento). The packaging was robust and well thought out and any concerns that I might have had about ordering a large heavy object that could easily be damaged if handled irresponsibly were clearly assuaged.

I still have some amount of discomfort at the thought of having large heavy things shipped to me, but were I to do it again, I would not hesitate to order from Grizzly.

Peter Aeschliman
10-30-2009, 12:53 PM
I really don't get how the carriers can get away with being so bad at what they do!

If I had lots of money to invest in a new business, I'd consider going into the freight business because the competition really leaves an opening for somebody to come in and do the job right.

In cases like these, I assume the carrier takes the loss. So I don't understand why they wouldn't be more careful!

Derek Gilmer
10-30-2009, 1:43 PM

When I browse the Grizzly in Springfield I usually try and drool in the pond they have setup.. looks slightly less goofy than a bib :)

Derek Gilmer
10-30-2009, 1:45 PM
I really don't get how the carriers can get away with being so bad at what they do!

If I had lots of money to invest in a new business, I'd consider going into the freight business because the competition really leaves an opening for somebody to come in and do the job right.

In cases like these, I assume the carrier takes the loss. So I don't understand why they wouldn't be more careful!
It is probably cheaper to replace a certain percentage of packages than it is to have their operation setup to never hurt things. Shipping companies are there to make money. Having seen specials on how in depth they track weather and driving patterns I suspect they know what they are doing. I bet they could never ship another damaged item but the cost for such a service is more than customers are going to pay.

If Grizzly had a shipping price of say $100 that was equal to their service now but for $300 you could ensure it would get there with no damage how many people would pay the extra 200?

Shiraz Balolia
10-30-2009, 2:42 PM
I'm hoping he'll answer my prayers for that woodworker specific floor-model DRILL PRESS.

Close your eyes and repeat after me; I do believe in Papa Grizz! I do believe in Papa Grizz!

There is one in the works that will shame all others on the market! ETA spring. No other details shall be available.

Michael Schwartz
10-30-2009, 2:49 PM
There is one in the works that will shame all others on the market! ETA spring. No other details shall be available.

So my beat up craftsman 1/2 hp floor standing drill press has to last me through the winter :rolleyes: I am excited to see what is in the works.

Peter Aeschliman
10-30-2009, 3:54 PM
It is probably cheaper to replace a certain percentage of packages than it is to have their operation setup to never hurt things. Shipping companies are there to make money. Having seen specials on how in depth they track weather and driving patterns I suspect they know what they are doing. I bet they could never ship another damaged item but the cost for such a service is more than customers are going to pay.

If Grizzly had a shipping price of say $100 that was equal to their service now but for $300 you could ensure it would get there with no damage how many people would pay the extra 200?

Good point. It's just business. But it bothers me when companies make such obvious choices that screw over their customers.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-30-2009, 4:13 PM
How about the trucking company who contracts to move the stuff screwing over Grizzley?

I deal with damaged equipment more often than I care to discuss. In my case we are talking systems costing $1,000,000-2,000,000+ and my company pays big bucks for 2 drivers, 1 truck and our equipment is the only thing on that truck. And still it gets damaged.:confused:

And stuff gets lost! How do you lose something that is 8' long, 36" wide, 36" tall and weighs 1500 pounds?

Somebody explain this stuff to me.

Cody Colston
10-30-2009, 4:16 PM

ALLRIGHT!

My Delta Shopmaster floor model has served me pretty well but I'm ready for an upgrade. I'm also slowly turning my shop Grizzly green...TS, BS, Jointer, 15" planer... a ww specific drill press would go really nice in there. :D

My first Grizzly purchase was the GO513 band saw. I was at work (offshore) when it was delivered to the house and my wife signed for it. When I got home, I found the upper door was bent beyond repair. Evidently the crate had tipped over at some point during shipment.

Although it had been delivered and signed for several days prior, Grizzly immediately sent me a new door for the saw.

Shiraz also helped me out on some needed, back-ordered parts by having his people pull them off of existing machines. That kind of service is almost unheard of these days.

Michael Schwartz
10-30-2009, 5:36 PM
How about the trucking company who contracts to move the stuff screwing over Grizzley?

I deal with damaged equipment more often than I care to discuss. In my case we are talking systems costing $1,000,000-2,000,000+ and my company pays big bucks for 2 drivers, 1 truck and our equipment is the only thing on that truck. And still it gets damaged.:confused:

And stuff gets lost! How do you lose something that is 8' long, 36" wide, 36" tall and weighs 1500 pounds?

Have you ever seen the kind of stuff forklift drivers are capable of...

I was at a dock picking up a 30 skids of tile and the fork lift operator was "showing off" by jamming on the brakes of the lift at the dock edge and sliding the palates into the trailer. Needless to say he busted at least two skids worth in the process.

My boss at the time who was driving the truck worked in a warehouse as a forklift operator for decades and needless to say he had a few things to say.

Ron Bott
10-30-2009, 5:54 PM

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a woodworker specific drill press, and how would it differ from what is currently available?

Stephen Edwards
10-30-2009, 6:33 PM

I doubt that the trucking company is screwing over Grizzly. My bet is that the trucking companies are taking a beating when they mess up, especially when there's obvious damage to the packing crate.

As for how large things get lost, in a word, THEFT.

Gary Herrmann
10-30-2009, 6:57 PM
It's always good to see company policy, much less the company owner paying such close attention to customer service. Kudos to Shiraz and Grizzly. A very good example of culture working it's way down from the top.

Tom Welch
10-30-2009, 7:36 PM
I ordered a lot of small items (a little over $100 worth) for my wife to give me for one of my Christmas presents from her one year. I opened the shipping box up on Christmas day (she simply had wrapped up the entire box) and notice that one of the router bits was missing. (it was on the manifest) I figured that I would have to buy another one, because the shippment was received about a month earler. But I decided to call Grizzly anyway, after I explained that to the lady on the phone, she said no problem and they shipped me the router bit. Sence then I have ordered their sliding router table, and the 3 hp Dust collector. Soon I will be ordering the 20" planer with spiral head to replace my 13" orange one.

Ron Bontz
10-30-2009, 8:06 PM
Sounds to me he is business wise. If your customers are not happy, what ever the reason, they won't be customers for long. Kudos for paying attention.:)

Stephen Edwards
10-30-2009, 10:27 PM
It's always good to see company policy, much less the company owner paying such close attention to customer service. Kudos to Shiraz and Grizzly. A very good example of culture working it's way down from the top.

Well said!!!

Chip Lindley
10-30-2009, 10:52 PM
It's Nice, (not really) That FedEx is giving UPS a run for their money in damaging freight too. Is sad to think that Grizzly changed shippers only to find they are all the same!

And I suppose it is policy to continue a shipment on to the recipient, even after it has suffered some serious mishap. No stopping in mid-stream to try to remedy the situation, which would be obviously faster and more consumer-friendly.

Mike Heidrick
10-30-2009, 11:36 PM
There are several Shiraz quality sellers on here. They are some of the best in the industry and really take great care of their customers and of teh forum members.

Thanke for helping him Shiraz!

Harold Burrell
10-31-2009, 5:28 PM
When I browse the Grizzly in Springfield I usually try and drool in the pond they have setup.. looks slightly less goofy than a bib :)

ewwwww...

I wonder if that is where the pond came from to begin with! :eek:

Mark Simpson
11-03-2009, 2:49 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stDWNam7RtE

Peter Aeschliman
11-03-2009, 7:24 PM

Holy Crap!!! I guess that's why they put roofs on the forklifts.

Dave Lehnert
11-04-2009, 8:13 PM
You said FedEx delivered it? Take a look at this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5wuiSy6xFM&feature=PlayList&p=76358211B353F2F6&index=30

Ken Fitzgerald
11-04-2009, 8:56 PM

You said FedEx delivered it? Take a look at this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5wuiSy6xFM&feature=PlayList&p=76358211B353F2F6&index=30

Those pretty well 'splains it!:confused:

scott vroom
11-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Update to my damaged planer saga. Well, Shiraz was true to his word. I called Grizzly customer service Friday to see if they could help as I was getting bogged down within the FedX claims bureaucracy. They did. The customer service rep, Jessica, personally called FedX to arrange a quick pickup of the damaged planer (they took it away yesterday) and promised to have a new planer delivered Thursday (tomorrow). Sure enough, FedX called yesterday morning to arrange a Thursday delivery time. I couldn't be happier with the Grizzly service.

Nice job, Shiraz....and thanks!

Rod Sheridan
11-05-2009, 8:13 AM
Scott, nice to see that things are progressing, hopefully the next delivery is less spectacular.

Regards, Rod.

Shiraz Balolia
11-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Update to my damaged planer saga. Well, Shiraz was true to his word. I called Grizzly customer service Friday to see if they could help as I was getting bogged down within the FedX claims bureaucracy. They did. The customer service rep, Jessica, personally called FedX to arrange a quick pickup of the damaged planer (they took it away yesterday) and promised to have a new planer delivered Thursday (tomorrow). Sure enough, FedX called yesterday morning to arrange a Thursday delivery time. I couldn't be happier with the Grizzly service.

Nice job, Shiraz....and thanks!

You are welcome and I am glad that "they" took care of you. Most importantly, for me anyway, is that other than making posts here, I did not intervene or prompt anyone to do what was right. Sorry for the mishandling by the freight company.

Karl Card
11-05-2009, 1:44 PM
I have to say that this is one of the most human acting forums i have ever been on. When you act like an adult I have no problem with company officials sitting in. It can help alot with our and there side. Such as r/d, what customers are looking for out of a tool, company etc.. and I have a feeling I am going to learn alot here.
I tell ya tho I sure would be humbled of grizzly would send me a go513 bandsaw for Christmas or gee i have a birthday in december also... I will have to hint this to the wife..lol

Tony Zaffuto
11-05-2009, 2:58 PM
I would never ask of someone to send me something for that would be wrong and almost ill-begotten goods. However, if the Grand Poo-Bah of Grizzle-dom would be so kind to send a G0636 17" bandsaw to my 9 year old daughter, I'm sure she would be most appreciative!

Mr. Jeff Smith
11-05-2009, 4:26 PM
Most importantly, for me anyway, is that other than making posts here, I did not intervene or prompt anyone to do what was right.

Developing the culture where employees are orientated and empowered to do right for the customer is a rare thing these days. Congrats on building such a high quality company.