PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid Osc, belt/Spindle Sander, EB4424 won't hold belts

Dan Mitchell
10-29-2009, 8:02 PM
I bought a Ridgid oscillating belt/spindle sander a short while back. Seems like a versatile tool, at a good price (got it on sale), but so far, I have not found any belts which will stay on the bloody thing, other than the 1 that came with it. Admittedly, so far I have only tried one replacement, Norton brand 120 grit bought at HD, but no matter how much minute futzing action I apply to the tracking knob, the belt either slowly begins to move up, or down. I've read of others having this trouble as well. These particular belts are quit "slick" on their interior, maybe that's a factor. Anyone find a brand of belt that does not do this on this sander? Makes using it a real PITA.

TIA

Dan

Jason White
10-29-2009, 8:13 PM
Perhaps you could try scuffing the interior of the belt with some medium-grit sandpaper?

Jason

I bought a Ridgid oscillating belt/spindle sander a short while back. Seems like a versatile tool, at a good price (got it on sale), but so far, I have not found any belts which will stay on the bloody thing, other than the 1 that came with it. Admittedly, so far I have only tried one replacement, Norton brand 120 grit bought at HD, but no matter how much minute futzing action I apply to the tracking knob, the belt either slowly begins to move up, or down. I've read of others having this trouble as well. These particular belts are quit "slick" on their interior, maybe that's a factor. Anyone find a brand of belt that does not do this on this sander? Makes using it a real PITA.

TIA

Dan

glenn bradley
10-29-2009, 8:14 PM
I bought a box-o-belts from Klingspor just for this machine. So far I have used 8 different belts/grits and I can adjust all of them. In practice the knob rarely even requires a full turn to adjust from one belt to the next but they all do require a bit of adjustment. That is; I have not experienced any two belts that just interchange without adjustment. I would try another belt although the Norton is a good quality belt, usually.

P.s. I use this machine sooo much more than I thought I would. I am glad I tried this little guy and got the experience on an osc belt instead of just a spindle. I now know that if I need to move to a larger machine, it will be a belt/spindle combo.

Myk Rian
10-29-2009, 8:19 PM
I've used nothing but the Norton belts at HoPo. Never had a problem.

Scott Crumpton
10-29-2009, 8:58 PM
I have the original grey model of this machine and have had tracking problems from the beginning. Ridgid even sent me a replacement platen assembly which didn’t fix the problem. It took me about a year to figure out that Klingspore belts were part of the solution. But the cause of the problem is heat and the height of the material you’re sanding. Unless you’re sanding 3 1/3 inch wide material, you’re only using the bottom half of the belt. This puts uneven forces on the adjustable roller causing the belt to move up and down based on the pressure you apply and as the lower half of the belt heats up it gets longer, also affecting the tracking. Ideally, you should sand in the middle of the belt, but there’s no way to adjust the table height.

When I use this machine, I really use it - hours at a time. That’s how I discovered that once the entire platen and the belt are good and hot, the tracking problems mostly go away (with Klingspor belts).

While I’m on the subject, I’ll mention that the best thing you can do for this machine is to modify the dust collection. Take an 8x8” jointer dust collection adapter and screw it to the back of the sander so that it sticks up about 2 1/2” above the table with the hose connection at the bottom. You’ll be covering the normal dust port and the vent slots on the back. Remove the vent slots to improve airflow over the motor. Now you can pull 600+ CMF past the back of the platen and over the motor. The dust collection will be much better, but some will still come off the end at the drive roller. (The complex shapes I work with have me constantly transitioning from the flat platen to the round drive roller so I can’t do much about it.) Before I did this I would regularly overheat the motor or have to stop to allow the sander to cool down.

Hope this info helps.

---Scott.

Jason White
10-29-2009, 9:04 PM
You can adjust the table height. Just put one or more pieces of plywood over the existing table.

Jason

I have the original grey model of this machine and have had tracking problems from the beginning. Ridgid even sent me a replacement platen assembly which didn’t fix the problem. It took me about a year to figure out that Klingspore belts were part of the solution. But the cause of the problem is heat and the height of the material you’re sanding. Unless you’re sanding 3 1/3 inch wide material, you’re only using the bottom half of the belt. This puts uneven forces on the adjustable roller causing the belt to move up and down based on the pressure you apply and as the lower half of the belt heats up it gets longer, also affecting the tracking. Ideally, you should sand in the middle of the belt, but there’s no way to adjust the table height.

When I use this machine, I really use it - hours at a time. That’s how I discovered that once the entire platen and the belt are good and hot, the tracking problems mostly go away (with Klingspor belts).

While I’m on the subject, I’ll mention that the best thing you can do for this machine is to modify the dust collection. Take an 8x8” jointer dust collection adapter and screw it to the back of the sander so that it sticks up about 2 1/2” above the table with the hose connection at the bottom. You’ll be covering the normal dust port and the vent slots on the back. Remove the vent slots to improve airflow over the motor. Now you can pull 600+ CMF past the back of the platen and over the motor. The dust collection will be much better, but some will still come off the end at the drive roller. (The complex shapes I work with have me constantly transitioning from the flat platen to the round drive roller so I can’t do much about it.) Before I did this I would regularly overheat the motor or have to stop to allow the sander to cool down.

Hope this info helps.

---Scott.

Alan Bienlein
10-29-2009, 9:07 PM
I bought a shopfox horizontal belt sander and had the same problem. Found out both drums were convex in shape instead of on being flat. I file the fixed on down til it was the same diameter along the length of the drum and haven't had to touch the adjustment knob since then. Even when I change belts now it only takes a slight touch on the adjustment knob to make it track correctly.

Julian Nicks
10-29-2009, 9:19 PM
I had problems with mine for a while till I realized the problem was the inadequate spring under the adjuster knob. I stretched it out and haven't had any real tracking problems since. Someday I'll just get a stronger spring for it.

Dan Mitchell
10-30-2009, 3:14 AM
I had problems with mine for a while till I realized the problem was the inadequate spring under the adjuster knob. I stretched it out and haven't had any real tracking problems since. Someday I'll just get a stronger spring for it.

That seems easy enough to try, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the replies, all.

Dan

Mitchell Andrus
10-30-2009, 6:36 AM
Important!!!! >> Grease the idler once in a while. It's just on a bushing, not bearings. I wore one out big time.

I've got the original grey version. Very useful, and a bit fiddley.

Ken Higginbotham
10-30-2009, 6:38 AM
So I was looking at these and it sounds like they are ok? They're around $200 at HD. Should I wait 'till I find one on sale?

Mitchell Andrus
10-30-2009, 6:45 AM
So I was looking at these and it sounds like they are ok? They're around $200 at HD. Should I wait 'till I find one on sale?

Get it when you need it. HD's 10% off postcards pop up once in a while...

I'd get another in a NY minute. I've also got a Jet 89"x6" horizontal belt and I still use the little one quite a bit.

Ken Higginbotham
10-30-2009, 6:51 AM
Annother quck question - I have a 24x3 table top belt / disc sander and the belt I have produces a bad bump when you sand on it caused by the seam in the belt. It's so bad I hesitate to use it for anything but rough in work. Is this normal or maybe there are belts available where the seam is smoother? Will I have the same problem with the Ridgid sander?

Ben Martin
10-30-2009, 8:24 AM

It is on sale right now! :D

http://www.ridgid.com/download/MIR_FandF_RIDGID.pdf

I was in HD last night, even moved the box a bit, but didn't bite on it. I think that one will find it's way into my car this weekend though. I have a $100 gift card that is burning a hole in my pocket...

glenn bradley
10-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Annother quck question - I have a 24x3 table top belt / disc sander and the belt I have produces a bad bump when you sand on it caused by the seam in the belt. It's so bad I hesitate to use it for anything but rough in work. Is this normal or maybe there are belts available where the seam is smoother? Will I have the same problem with the Ridgid sander?

The kind of thump, thump, thump, thump, experience you describe is probably known to a lot of us. You will have the same problem, regarless of machine if you use what is obviously a poor quality belt. The bump may be due to an overlap joint construction. You want butt joint construction which presents no bump.

As my butt joint belts get well past the point that I should change them (:rolleyes:) there is a perceptible bump. Like some others here, I have already gotten way over my $200 worth out of the Ridgid OSS. I had no idea I would use it this much. My belt/disc combo has only been used one time since I got the OSS. I am seriously considering parking the belt/disc on a shelf somewhere.

Don Bullock
10-30-2009, 11:58 AM

Ken, I think that they are more than OK. I really like both the belt and spindle feature on this machine and it's very simple to change from one to the other. As for finding them on sale, the rebate certificate Ben linked to may be your best opportunity. I haven't seen a sale on these for quite some time.

Michael Schwartz
10-30-2009, 3:55 PM

TIA

Dan

I have this machine and I have not had any issues. I have been using the rigid packaged belts with it. Occasionally a belt will slip just a bit from excessive sanding pressure but I have never had a problem getting mine to track.

I have pushed this machine to do more than it probably should with no tracking problems. Sounds like you might have a bad one.

If your machine is still under warrantee I would contact Ridged and see if they know anything.

Mitchell Andrus
10-30-2009, 5:24 PM

I notice this on my larger 89x6 belt sander too, esp. with finer grits.

I sand the grit off of the face to level the surface. No kidding.

glenn bradley
10-31-2009, 12:21 PM
I bought a Ridgid oscillating belt/spindle sander a short while back. Seems like a versatile tool, at a good price (got it on sale), but so far, I have not found any belts which will stay on the bloody thing, other than the 1 that came with it.

I find maintenance so much less time consuming than repair. I was doing a little P.M. on my sander and had a thought. Check the nuts/posts that the idles carriage rides on. Are they loose enough to allow it to slide but snug enough to allow good control? Just a thought.

Mark Fogleman
11-01-2009, 9:58 AM

Ken if you're up to a road trip to Commerce, I've seen them here for $99 refurbed. Stock varies daily so call and talk to the manager. He will hold it and/or ship it for you. They have lots of Ridgid, Ryobi, Milwaukee and Homelite refurbs/overstocks.

DIRECT TOOLS OUTLET
Commerce, Georgia (http://www.tangeroutlet.com/commerce)
(706) 335-7304

There's also a new store that just opened in the Concord Mills Mall, Concord, NC (Charlotte Metro)

Ken Higginbotham
11-02-2009, 7:29 AM
I notice this on my larger 89x6 belt sander too, esp. with finer grits.

I sand the grit off of the face to level the surface. No kidding.

I was kind of hoping someone would say the better quality belts didn't have this issue :(

Tom Winship
11-02-2009, 8:37 AM
I have not experienced this problem with my Rigid sander. Sounds like I might be lucky. One thing you might try, which I used on a Sears portable belt sander years ago, is to wrap tape circumferentially in the center of the idler roller. This solved the problem I had, hopefully it could help you.

Dave Carey
08-26-2020, 4:56 PM
Did anyone ever solve the problem of the belt slipping off as soon as the machine is turned on? I've adjusted all I can adjust and it still climbs right off the machine. Makes it useless.

Frank Pratt
08-26-2020, 7:45 PM
I use Klingspor belts & I need to do a little adjustment when switching belts, but tracking & slipping have never been a problem. A previous post mentioned the idler bushing needing lubrication. If it's badly and unevenly worn, that could be causing your tracking issue.

I'm glad this thread was resurrected because I've never though to lube that idler.