PDA

View Full Version : Double Stick Tape - Please Educate Me

Jim Eller
10-29-2009, 6:57 PM
I've got some double stick tape that I purchased from Woodcraft, but the stuff is too good.

When I put some on a board to attach it to a sled to run through the planer so I could get it < 1/8" I couldn't get it separated without breaking it.

So the question is, is there more than one type of double stick tape, how can you tell the difference and where do you find it?

Thanks,
Jim

Chris Barnett
10-29-2009, 7:25 PM
Office supply stores have cellophane double stick tape (like 3M) which is really rather poor for your application, but the double stick duck tape that is available from Lowes is about right....if you have a crowbar. You could use the 3M if you really must get it apart :D.

Ed Sallee
10-29-2009, 7:31 PM
When planing < the planer capacity, I use an auxiliary planer bed. Here's some good plans (http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-plans/jointing-and-planing/auxiliary-planer-bed/) for one out of WOOD Magazine. Eliminates the need for double faced tape on the planer.

Myk Rian
10-29-2009, 8:22 PM
I use the double sided carpet tape from HoPo. Works good, but if left on too long it's hard to get off. Sometimes I'll use a thin putty knife to loosen it.

Wayne Sparkman
10-29-2009, 8:27 PM
Take a sufficient length of wire and two short 1" dia. dowels for handles.
Wrap the wire around the dowels and use the handles to gently pull the wire along the underside, cutting the tape as you go.

You'll still have to remove all that tape, but at least you won't break anything.

Jim Finn
10-29-2009, 8:27 PM
[QUOTE=Ed Sallee;1247517]When planing < the planer capacity, I use an auxiliary planer bed".... I have one like this one and it works very well. I leave it installed on my planer all the time.

Ryan Baker
10-29-2009, 8:30 PM
There are two types of carpet tape too -- indoor and outdoor. Outdoor is much stronger than indoor.

If you can't get the pieces apart, the simple solution is don't use so much of it. You only need a little in spots if it is good tape. Use a thin putty knife to gently pry the pieces apart later.

Thomas Canfield
10-29-2009, 8:33 PM
Duck brand double sided carpet tape at Wal-mart works well also. The trick is to use only what is required, and that comes from experiencel I normally cut the 1" wide tape to 1/2" width and about 2" long and use 3 or 4 pieces when attaching a pattern to piece when using routing, and increase tape for greater holding when turning. It also helps to make a small slot at pattern edge to install a putty knife or other tool to help separate later.

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Take a sufficient length of wire and two short 1" dia. dowels for handles.
Wrap the wire around the dowels and use the handles to

So, make a garrote and throttle it.

Kyle Iwamoto
10-29-2009, 10:47 PM
Some 40# or bigger fishing line works. Better than metal wire, the wire can gouge/dent the wood.

Make a carrier sled with MDF. Put a stopper strip at the end of the carrier. Obviously you want to only glue that down, if the planer hits it.

Edwood Ferrari
10-30-2009, 1:00 AM
I often just use a few glue dots instead of tape. Fast and easy to apply and holds just fine. I can usually just scrape them off with my finger nails after I take the boards apart

Peter Quinn
10-30-2009, 5:23 AM
Good double stick tape isn't going to let go of thin stock in any predictable way IME, and that is a good thing in most of its applications, not so much for veneer. I'd use a bed board as others suggested, though I have not had the best luck with planing wood much below 1/4". There just isn't enough wood to resist the planers lifting action and results can get unpredictable. Below 1/8" I like the drum sander.

Stephen Edwards
10-30-2009, 5:47 AM
Good double stick tape isn't going to let go of thin stock in any predictable way IME, and that is a good thing in most of its applications, not so much for veneer. I'd use a bed board as others suggested, though I have not had the best luck with planing wood much below 1/4". There just isn't enough wood to resist the planers lifting action and results can get unpredictable. Below 1/8" I like the drum sander.

+1 for the drum sander, if you have one.

Jim Eller
10-30-2009, 6:59 AM
Thanks for all the input.

I have 22-44 drum sander so I'll give that a try.

Also the auxiliary bed looks good. I had forgotten about that idea. I don't do this too often and the brain has been around for 66 years. I guess that bit of information just flew off the hard drive up there.

Jim