PDA

View Full Version : This lathe stuff is fun.

Woody Woodbury
10-29-2009, 5:49 PM
Fairley new to turning and finding that one must be careful both with safety and wallet. Here are three items I've recently done while practicing. I say practicing cause I think I'll forever be learning every time I turn something. I so much appreciate this forum for the things I've been able to learn and put to good use. Thanks to you all.

The salt and pepper grinders and scoops will be for Christmas. I have about 30 bowls finished with more to finish turn next month. Hope to sell a few and donate a couple as well.

Steve Schlumpf
10-29-2009, 7:04 PM
Very nice work on everything!

Nice segmented work on the mills! Walnut & Maple? Very clean design! Love the scoops! Great style and really nice and thin on the bowl portion! First time I have seen a napkin ring holder - pretty cool!

Seriously - nice work! You need to post more often!

John Keeton
10-29-2009, 7:08 PM
As Steve knows, the bowls and HFs don't do much for me, but now I like this stuff! Very nice job! And, I love walnut and maple together - perfect combo!

From the looks of it, I would say you have been "practicing" for awhile. ;)

Bernie Weishapl
10-29-2009, 7:51 PM
Those are some very nice turnings. Will make a great Christmas. I would say you have been doing more than practicing especially with 30 bowls done.

gary Zimmel
10-29-2009, 7:57 PM
Great little projects..

I too am a newbie to this and like the idea of making things as one "practices..

David E Keller
10-29-2009, 8:02 PM
pretty cool stuff... I really like the segmented stuff. Napkin rings... now that's something I hadn't thought of... now added to the ever-expanding list of things that I must turn on the lathe. Thanks for posting.

Steve Mawson
10-29-2009, 8:48 PM
It is my personal opinion that you never stop learning this special craft. Mainly because the wood we work with is not all uniform. Really like the pepper mills by the way.

alex carey
10-29-2009, 8:53 PM
Your scoops are beautiful and very impressive. Nice job.

ROY DICK
10-29-2009, 8:55 PM
Wow, Woody,
Nicely done on everything.
Am I on that Christmas list?

Roy

Eugene Wigley
10-29-2009, 11:44 PM
Woody, Nice work on all of it. The scoops are my favorite. Thanks for posting.

Mike Minto
10-30-2009, 9:28 AM
someone has to ask - woody woodbury? what did you do, change your name? that is just too cool. mike :)

Woody Woodbury
10-30-2009, 6:39 PM
Thanks for the nice comments. Well Mike my given name is Andrew however I got tagged Woody shortly after joining the navy. After 30 years it kinda stuck. The scoops are 1/3 cup in size. Got the nudge from Soren Berger's video on thewoodworkingchannal.com. Other than an occasional turning of a chair leg or spindle or two on my shopsmith I started turning frequently about two years ago. Upgraded to a pm3520B. Made many Christmas inside out ornaments, a mahogany bowl for the boss and a few small walnut bowls. It just took off from there as I'm sure most of you understand.

Ron Bontz
10-31-2009, 12:15 AM
Beautiful work. I should be so talented.:)

Billy Tallant
10-31-2009, 2:32 AM
Your work looks outstanding. Never would have thought of napkin rings. Especially like the segmented wood on that salt/peppermill. Looks great.