PDA

View Full Version : Some unusual boats for you americans...

Halgeir Wold
10-29-2009, 5:23 PM
As much as would love to be able to build one of those, or only participate, it will have to wait until I get paid to nothing - or win the Lotto......

This is a site about hand building a type of boat I think most of you guys have never seen. I hope the short english summary will help you navigate to see these beauties of the water.....

Best regards from a newbie to the Creek.....
from the other side of the big pond.....

eldjarnbaat.no/index.php/english-summary

David Gendron
10-29-2009, 11:17 PM
Thank you for the link! these boats look realy similar to the Adirondak guide boat or canoe, the line are realy similar. I would love to built something like that to!
Ho, welcom to the creek, hoppe you anjoy!

Peter Pedisich
10-30-2009, 8:16 PM
Thanks for sharing this site with us, great pictures!

Barney Hill
11-02-2009, 1:57 PM
Thank you for the link....there are definite similarities to the Dory boats used when the Cod fisheries were running in Canada....

http://museum.gov.ns.ca/dory/

Skip Spaulding
12-23-2009, 5:54 PM
Great site, beautiful boats, thanks for posting.

Terry Rogan
12-24-2009, 7:01 AM
As much as would love to be able to build one of those, or only participate, it will have to wait until I get paid to nothing - or win the Lotto......

This is a site about hand building a type of boat I think most of you guys have never seen. I hope the short english summary will help you navigate to see these beauties of the water.....

Best regards from a newbie to the Creek.....
from the other side of the big pond.....

eldjarnbaat.no/index.php/english-summary

I have found the dorys to be some of the most attractive of the small variety of boats around.
I really wish you'd take a stab at building one. They're not that difficult to build nor terribly expensive.

I've just received the plans for the Thames 19', just one of the many variations of the small dinghy/dory.
The plans for this particular one call for it to be built with the simplest construction technique possible, "stitch and tape", but I had them redraw the lofting to accomodate strip/plank construction which I think is the prettiest way to build a small boat.
While my main intent is for a two-place sliding seat configuration, I'll be building in the mods for being able to power it with sails as well.
I specifically chose this design for it's being a little narrower than usual which will result in a significantly faster rowing speed (but not to the level of a rowing skull".

The one I'm building is the one at the very bottom of this page called the "19' Thames":
http://www.selway-fisher.com/Rowskiffs.htm