PDA

View Full Version : Trouble setting up DovetailJig

Matthew Curtis
10-29-2009, 4:23 PM
I have recently got a dovetail jig from Harbor Freight. Nothing fancy.

Trouble is when I get the depth of the router adjusted for the tightness of the dovetail, the joint seems shallow. Only about 3/16"deep. I am using a 1/2"14 degree dovetail bit.

What do I need to do to adjust the jig/router??

roman fedyk
10-29-2009, 4:44 PM
I believe you do not have the bit down far enough. The bit is supposed to extend 9/16" from the router base. Is that what you have yours set at?

Matthew Curtis
10-29-2009, 5:07 PM
If I set it 9/16 the pins do not fit the tails.

Robert foster
10-29-2009, 5:16 PM
Set the router bit like it says in the instructions and go from there. I have had to read them several times.

Bob

roman fedyk
10-29-2009, 5:16 PM
You are making them both at the same time? One horizontally and one vertically? Then they have to fit since you are cutting both at the same time. What are the thicknesses of the wood pieces?

roman fedyk
10-29-2009, 5:32 PM
If I set it 9/16 the pins do not fit the tails.

You need to do the 9/16" from the base. The next adjustment is the fence. That needs to be set for the thickness of the vertical board. If the fence is not set properly then the pieces will not fit together.

There should be a chart in the instructions indicating the proper fence setting.

Matthew Curtis
10-29-2009, 5:35 PM
nevermind. I figured it out. It helps if I use the proper guide bushing.

Joe Scharle
10-29-2009, 5:43 PM
Woodhaven used to publish a great little manual for those types. I believe it is now on Grizzly's site. I have set up mine for a different router base using the manual in about 15 minutes and started cutting perfect HB DT's. Not my abilities; just how good the manual is!

I have 4 other DT jigs, but for kitchen/vanity drawers I grab that little jig first.