PDA

View Full Version : Question on Leyland Cypress

Ray Binnicker
10-29-2009, 3:58 PM
A friend of mine just dropped off a half pickup load of Leyland Cypress (green). I graciously thanked him for thinking of me. I have never turned green cypress. This has the sap running out of it and it gets all over the place. Anyone ever turned this stuff, or anything similiar, and if so how did you deal with the sap?
Thanks in advance
Ray Binnicker

Ted Calver
10-29-2009, 5:02 PM
Sounds like that sap is not worth the effort...clean up is a pain!! Maybe if you let the material air dry for a while the sap won't be such a problem.

Allen Neighbors
10-29-2009, 11:59 PM
Hang plastic curtains around the lathe. Put on a rain suit. Rough turn it. Throw the plastic curtains away, mop the floor and wipe down the lathe. Soak the rough-outs in plain H2o for a month, changing the water every week. Drip dry, coat with anchor seal, dry for 3 or 4 months. The wood is fairly bland, but it will make nice utility bowls. They should finish out light as a feather. Some ladies like that in a bowl. :o)

Jim Sebring
10-30-2009, 12:03 AM
Just don't try to split that stuff with a maul. I had some several years ago I tried to split for firewood in my pre-vortex days. The splitting maul just bounced off like it was dry oak. Some folks say it's nice stuff to turn.