PDA

View Full Version : Raised Panel Question

Don Kilgore
10-29-2009, 3:41 PM
I am beginning a project of replacing kitchen cabinet doors and drawers. Although I have had some experience in like doors, I am now wondering how to tackle this problem, if it in fact is a problem:
Some of the doors are quite large, 19" wide X 28" high.
Should I use vertical or horizonal dividers, for both strength and appearance? Also for strenght would it be advisable to use a wider rail on the bottom for additional strength of the rail & stile glue joint? My plan is, or was to use 2 1/2 rail and stile stock. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Don Kilgore

Peter Quinn
10-29-2009, 5:41 PM
I would think a reinforced cope and stick joint would be sufficient on a 19" wide door. That is not particularly large. Solid wood raised panels? In any event, I like wider bottom rails, say 3 1/4", but I would want to carry that design across all the doors in the kitchen. I don't like vertical dividers on cabinet doors and would only use then in doors approaching 30" wide personally. i find them busy.

I would reinforce the cope and stick with dowels or loose tennons, or make M&T doors with panel mold for a very solid approach.