PDA

View Full Version : Glass - First time

Michael Doyle
10-29-2009, 2:56 PM
I finally got around to engraving some glass. Nothing fancy, but I think it addded a lot to the presentation.
The piece of glass was easily removed from the case. That really helped.

I ran with the Epilog numbers for glass. The only testing was done on a beer bottle. I was a little reluctant to have the real thing be the test.
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s294/selyod/Peter600w.jpg

Lee DeRaud
10-29-2009, 3:03 PM
Very nice. Is that just as it came from the laser or was there some paint-fill involved?

Steve Clarkson
10-29-2009, 3:06 PM
Michael,

That came out very nicely.....great presentation!

Only two questions.......was the beer bottle empty when you tested on it or did you drink the beer before hitting the GO button to engrave the case? Where did you get that case?

Michael Doyle
10-29-2009, 3:20 PM
Lee - straight from the laser. I was able to get the light just right for the picture, so there was no glare from the surface, while highliting the frosted effect of the egraving - luck not skill
Steve - The box came from Penn State Industries, and the beer came from Heineken.

Dee Gallo
10-29-2009, 4:01 PM
Nice classy presentation, Michael - as usual, you make everything look great!

cheers, dee

Dan Hintz
10-29-2009, 7:24 PM
Okay okay okay, I had to do a double and triple take there. At first I thought "That is the whitest glass etching I have ever seen, bar none"... then I realized the pen wasn't etched, it was under the etched glass. Not only was I going to be pee-in-my-pants impressed, I was going to beg to know how you got it so white right out of the laser :p

Michael Doyle
10-29-2009, 7:45 PM
Dan, I said nothing fancy.

donald bugansky
10-29-2009, 8:21 PM
Mike,

I really like that case. Nice work.

Just a couple of questions.....
1) What is the pen material?
2) Did you laser the ship and name on the pen?
3) Settings?

Thx - Bugs

Dee Gallo
10-29-2009, 8:33 PM
Okay okay okay, I had to do a double and triple take there. At first I thought "That is the whitest glass etching I have ever seen, bar none"... then I realized the pen wasn't etched, it was under the etched glass. Not only was I going to be pee-in-my-pants impressed, I was going to beg to know how you got it so white right out of the laser :p

Oh Dan, those long parties in the 60s are catching up with you!:D

Michael Doyle
10-29-2009, 9:18 PM
Thanks Dee, I'm glad you like it

Bugs - The material is synthetic ivory. It is more of a creamy color than the picture lets on, beacuse of the way I had to light it to get a good picture of the glass,
The pen is engraved and color filled. I did the ship at 1200 dpi 80 speed and 100 power.

Bill Cunningham
10-29-2009, 11:24 PM
I ran with the Epilog numbers for glass. The only testing was done on a beer bottle. I was a little reluctant to have the real thing be the test.

Scrap window glass is everywhere.. I use salvaged glass for most of my projects. It's cheap, easily cut, and a lot of folks just throw it away.. Even the pieces that are too small to be put in a frame, can be used to set up and test engrave a new file.. Your 'shadow box' pen display/presentation is a unique idea and looks very 'presentable'. Even the simple stuff can look nice if enough thought goes into it, and you have certainly proved that..

Dan Hintz
10-30-2009, 6:34 AM
Scrap window glass is everywhere.. I use salvaged glass for most of my projects. It's cheap, easily cut, and a lot of folks just throw it away.. Even the pieces that are too small to be put in a frame, can be used to set up and test engrave a new file.
My SO had a tri-fold "privacy screen" that had 20 or so spots for pictures of various sizes. It has been sitting in the corner for the last year waiting to be thrown away, but I recently stole the picture glass from every spot to run tests. It was a free supply, as far as I was concerned.

donald bugansky
10-30-2009, 6:48 PM
Bugs - The material is synthetic ivory. .....
The pen is engraved and color filled..

Mike as stated before - it looks great. Can you tell me what you used for color fill? I've heard of "rub -n- buff" but wasn't sure if that's what you used.

Thx - Bugs

Steve Clarkson
10-30-2009, 7:09 PM
Bugs, you can find Rub n Buff at any craft store.....some only carry 2-3 colors....and I've found that gold and silver work the best for me. I just found white the other day though.