PDA

View Full Version : Just to set things straight.....

donald bugansky
10-29-2009, 1:10 PM
All the "hulla-ballew" about "Hobbiest & Commercial Use" or also referred to as "Legitimate business" in a number of post last night.

I've attached some photos of my "hobby shop", something that is supposed to provide enjoyment & relation after a hard days work at the office. To date, all I've made are pens for some of my friends & employees - no sales tax - no sales --- just gifts. Hope I don't offend anyone that makes/sells pens!

Please note missing from the following photos... no cash register, no display cases, no samples, no retail setup & no customers.
Looks like a hobby to me. (might even be a beer bottle somewhere in the background) :)

I hope this clears up any misconception relative to intent as I can't believe the sensitive nature of folks when I simply inquired as to where could I get the JDS samples folks were talking about.

I've been in business my entire adult life and I'm disappointed with the sense of entitlement in a free enterprise world.

Bugs

Martin Boekers
10-29-2009, 1:26 PM
Dang,

That is a nice work shop!!

Bugs, this isn't about you personally. These type of things pop up from time to time. Some of us are as you say a bit sensitive about our work and income.

Enjoy you time there!!!

Marty

Colleen Williams
10-29-2009, 1:28 PM
Donald,

I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly have a husband who would be majorly jealous of your set-up. I on the other hand would be completely impressed if my husband would keep the area that he does have as neat and tidy as you do.

Don't take things to heart too much. Generally speaking I haven't found anyone on the Creek that actually bites. I think what we are hearing is some frustration with the general economic environment out there. Perhaps the whole ranting thing could have been prevented if someone had just said JDS only sells to industry, you could try looking.....

Anyway, chin up and have fun in that huge shop of yours!

By the way, your pens are beautiful.

Stephen Beckham
10-29-2009, 1:35 PM
I'll trade you my tax id for your hobby shop???!!!!

Now I've got the kosher police reading my posts to see if they need to send it to the revenue department. Why can't they just go back to chasing moonshiners????

Seriously, nice shop.

How far are you from Lousiville? PM me if you're close...

Cliff Patrick
10-29-2009, 1:39 PM
Very impressive shop. So meticulous and clean.

Dan Hintz
10-29-2009, 1:59 PM
Holy sheet of plywood, Batman... daddy wants! My workshop still has pink insulation foam showing behind bare studs.

Dee Gallo
10-29-2009, 2:11 PM
Beautiful workshop, ooops, hobby room. You say "no displays" but the whole thing looks like a fake perfect dream workshop display to me! Could be a sales display in a woodworker's store!

I'm not sure how you can relax in that place, looks like a theme park for people like me! Perhaps we should hold a SMC meeting at your place!

Honestly, your pens are gorgeous and I don't blame you one bit for wanting to try out those funky mugs. But they are just gimicky and ugly to me, why don't you get some ceramic/glass cermark and do a nice mug? The rest of your shop will appreciate you keeping the riff raff out.

cheers, dee

Guy Mathews
10-29-2009, 2:22 PM
Beautiful workshop, ooops, hobby room. You say "no displays" but the whole thing looks like a fake perfect dream workshop display to me! Could be a sales display in a woodworker's store!

I'm not sure how you can relax in that place, looks like a theme park for people like me! Perhaps we should hold a SMC meeting at your place!

Honestly, your pens are gorgeous and I don't blame you one bit for wanting to try out those funky mugs. But they are just gimicky and ugly to me, why don't you get some ceramic/glass cermark and do a nice mug? The rest of your shop will appreciate you keeping the riff raff out.

cheers, dee

I second what Dee said.

Man your place is beautiful dude!!! We are a commercial 55K square foot business and our offices aren't even that nice!!!

Now I want a laser and your shop to boot!!!!

Guy

Bruce Volden
10-29-2009, 2:31 PM
Bugs,

I hate your shop!! It makes mine look.....well.... PATHETIC??? :D Obviously your not a "real" business, I mean if you were your shop would be messy, right? With all the orders pouring in for a "real" business why, who would have time for clean-up, only sleep/work right? Please don't take me seriously as I'm only kidding. I am in 100% agreement with your entitlements statement.

Bruce

Lee DeRaud
10-29-2009, 3:07 PM
If the doors were a little wider, I think you could fit my house in there. :eek:

Way cool!

Lee DeRaud
10-29-2009, 3:12 PM
...(might even be a beer bottle somewhere in the background) :)...Found a water bottle in picture #7 but no beer bottle.

But it looks like a small bar fridge would fit under the Trotec...:cool:

Jim Sage
10-29-2009, 3:42 PM
Awsome shop!!! mine is full of saw dust;)

John Frazee
10-29-2009, 3:44 PM
Looks nice but you did all that work taking pictures to prove what? To start with, how many people have expensive lasers just to play with? It is a commercial machine, not regularly in peoples homes. Not for your sake but for the industries sake, I would want people trying to buy "our" supplies to have trouble. Lots of JDS's products have their logo name on them or at least on their boxes that are meant to be passed on to the customer. Marco does the same. Marco sells some nice clocks for under $5.00 that all we have to do is put a plate on and sell them for 15-20 bucks. The clocks have Marco right dead center on the face. Do I want my customers to be able to buy direct from them? No. I can understand your frustrations but you really should understand. You mentioned your "employees". That means you must own a business. What ever kind of business you are in, would you want your customers to easily bypass you? I have a well astablished business in a shopping center and have trouble getting some accounts setup being that someone in my area already has an account. I just have to continue and understand.

Aaron Hall
10-29-2009, 3:49 PM
Bugs,
Could I interest you in adopting a 33 year old? I'd make a good son, I do chores around the house and don't talk back. I'm a medic with 14 years experience, comes in handy from time to time. Just think it over, no pressure or anything. :D

That shop is just unreal!

~Aaron

Lee DeRaud
10-29-2009, 3:53 PM
Marco sells some nice clocks for under $5.00 that all we have to do is put a plate on and sell them for 15-20 bucks. The clocks have Marco right dead center on the face. Do I want my customers to be able to buy direct from them? No.There's a concept called "value-added" that you might want to become familiar with.

(There's another one called "thread-hijacking" that apparently you're already familiar with.)

AL Ursich
10-29-2009, 4:06 PM
WOW :eek:

Excellent Shop!!!!

The Laser looks right at home with the Woodworking Equipment....

Norm from NYW could film the whole 2010 Season in your shop.... That would be worth watching.....

The Pens look GREAT too.... Did you cut the Pen Display on the Laser? Nice Design.

Good Luck with the Laser.

AL:)

Edit: (Yes, I am a Dirtball with EGG on my face....)

Rob Bosworth
10-29-2009, 4:06 PM
Bugs was talking to us about buying a laser. Through our conversations, he mentioned that he had a shop and wanted me to tell him where the best place to put a laser would be. He sent me photos of his shop. After looking at them, I was a little intimidated. I knew right then and there, anything less than perfect, was not going to be acceptable. Then he wanted me to send him photos of my shop, so he could see how it was laid out. RIGHT. Laid out! Oh yea, those are the machines behind and under the piles of stuff!

Very nice shop Don. Pay no attention to what us dirtballs say on these forums. We would all like to have a nice place to work in like yours. Of course, with me in your shop, after an hour or two, it would look just like my current shop.

To all us dirtballs: I resemble that remark.

Anthony Scira
10-29-2009, 4:18 PM
Nice place ! I really need to take some lessons in housekeeping from you !

Kim Vellore
10-29-2009, 5:25 PM
Some days this would be heaven to me....

Kim

Barry Clark
10-29-2009, 5:48 PM
Wow! Very nice Bugs:)
I envision something like that when I built mine..
But the wife needed to park her car somewhere;)

Jim Good
10-29-2009, 5:53 PM
Ok, I guess I've got some cleaning to do tonight. :(

I can't let my wife see that nice workshop. Time to log off.

Lee DeRaud
10-29-2009, 5:58 PM
Wow! Very nice Bugs:)
I envision something like that when I built mine..
But the wife needed to park her car somewhere;)Just tell her if she parks the car in the driveway, it's that much less snow she has to shovel. :D:cool:

(No, actually I'm not married...why do you ask?)

George M. Perzel
10-29-2009, 6:49 PM
Hey Bugs;
This is a complete fabrication. It should be obvious to even the casual observer that this workshop is a model-put together to generate envy and yearning. Notice that there is no sawdust on the floor, no kind of dust anywhere, no glue on the ceiling (don't ask) and even a novice can tell that the table saw has never been turned on.
On top of that, all the lights work, no bulbs burned out, no half-empty coffee cups or very empty beer bottles-truly amazing what can be done with a camera and Photoshop.
Great shop. Trust you have received the wood and it's what you expected.!
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Keith Outten
10-29-2009, 7:07 PM
Dagonnit George you must have been peeking in the window at my shop, the description is dead on :)

Barry Clark
10-29-2009, 7:13 PM
Just tell her if she parks the car in the driveway, it's that much less snow she has to shovel. :D:cool:

(No, actually I'm not married...why do you ask?)
Lil' hijack here.

I'm on it Lee... But I'm going to send her to you if her response is anything less than positive..:D

Bill Cunningham
10-29-2009, 11:16 PM
NOPE!!! there is no beer bottle.. If there is no picture then it doesn't exist :D
Boy if my shop looked as neat as that, my customers would be nickle and dimeing me big time, figuring I did not have enough work to keep my equipment running..... My shop is probably typical.. A place for everything, and everything is in that place. I cleanup once a month whether it needs it or not.. :p