PDA

View Full Version : This is the very first.

Tyler Howell
09-26-2004, 7:45 PM
You asked!!! This is my very first WW attempt at furniture. Where there was a concern for joints, angles, square corners. The first where it wasn't just a job. A little love and tenderness rolled in. I made this for my ladies 26 years ago with a Cman RAS, jig saw and Milwaukee Magnum Hole Shooter. I had a router bit I chucked into the RAS to chamfer the edges.
It's a Craft Pattern, clear pine, stain, Danish oil then wax to finish.
The girls played with it for years, the X dropped a door on it them left it in the yard when she moved to a new house. Not sure if I should try to fix it or use it for kindling.
I remember racing my oldest to see who would get there first the Cradle or her. I worked in the basement of our first house, could see my breath while I worked and remember huddling around the lamp to warm up.
It was waiting for her when she came home from the hospital.
Think I'll Keep it. Kinda sentimental.:o

Ken Garlock
09-26-2004, 7:57 PM
Well Tyler, if you hadn't said anything I would have thought you bought it at the local Drexel furniture store :) If I were you, I would repair it and keep it for a grand child or two. ;)

Nice work....

nic obie
09-26-2004, 7:57 PM
It's all good. :)

no worries......

Jim Becker
09-26-2004, 8:04 PM
I vote for repair and preservation, Tyler. It would be a shame to "lose" something with such sentimental value, not to mention the workmanship is very nice. It's a beautiful piece. Keep it in the family!

Dick Parr
09-26-2004, 8:32 PM
I vote for repair and preservation, Tyler. It would be a shame to "lose" something with such sentimental value, not to mention the workmanship is very nice. It's a beautiful piece. Keep it in the family!

I would agree with Jim you old softy. :eek: You don't strike me as the type that would just get rid of it. I bet ya could make a real fancy bottom for it now with all the gold you have. :D

Ralph Morris
09-26-2004, 8:36 PM
Take your time in doing it. Don't rush trying to fix it up. Get a cup of coffee and sit back, look at it and think on how you want to do it. I did save it for the next generation! It's a nice looking one!

Jack Hogoboom
09-26-2004, 8:42 PM
Tyler,

You have to keep it. Someday, they'll tell your grandkids about how you built it.

Wish my first project had turned out that nicely.

Jack

David Tang
09-26-2004, 8:45 PM
Very nice. I'm a pack rat at heart so my vote is save it.

Jim Ketron
09-26-2004, 8:53 PM
Tyler I vote with the rest KEEP IT!
Looks repairable to me. and its too nice to toss.
Jim

Kelly C. Hanna
09-26-2004, 8:57 PM
Fix it by all means! I sure hate to see you lose that nice piece of furniture.

Joe Mioux
09-26-2004, 9:00 PM
Hi Tyler:

You have to keep it. This will be a great heirloom for your grandchildren or even great-grandchildren. Looks like a good winter project.

regards Joe

Lou Morrissette
09-26-2004, 9:11 PM
Hey Tyler,
Ya gotta keep it! It's a real nice piece with a lot of heart in it.

Greg Heppeard
09-26-2004, 9:12 PM
My vote goes to fixing...too many memories attached to that precious piece.

Bob Marino
09-26-2004, 10:05 PM
Tyler,

Yes, repair, keep and pass on down. Be a shame to lose it; very nice work!

Now, how about some more recent work?

Bob

Ken Fitzgerald
09-26-2004, 10:16 PM
I vote repair it! Too many future generations in the family will use it and remember how "Grandpa Tyler" built this all those years ago! Great first project Tyler!

John Miliunas
09-26-2004, 10:41 PM
Hey Bud, in case you haven't figured it out by now, I'm thinkin' that most of the guys suggest you hang on to it! :D Me too! I've still got the end table I made a quzillion years ago without the aid of a single bench power tool! It ain't nearly as nice or intricate as your cradle, but I'm still keepin' it! :) You done good, my friend, and I'm sure it will be even more appreciated once you get it mended up and hand it down to the next generation! :cool:

Carole Valentine
09-27-2004, 12:50 AM
Keep it! Even if you don't repair it now, the memories are priceless.

And BTW, isn't a "RAS" a Radial Arm Saw? If so, how the heck do you chuck a router bit in it????? :confused: Sorry if this is a dumb question but I have never laid eyes on a RAS in real life.

Kelly C. Hanna
09-27-2004, 1:29 AM
In the older RAS's made by Emerson, you could actually chuck in planer knives, router bits, drill bits, etc into the motor when rotated sideways. The last one I had came with a planer attachment. Scary thought surfacing a board using an RAS, but back in the day they did it regularly. :eek:

Michael Stafford
09-27-2004, 7:55 AM
Absolutely keep it! I'm sure the girls will have sentimental attachment and will want it for their children. Needs a bottom though...

larry merlau
09-27-2004, 9:58 AM
tyler you could never replace it with anything comparable and your daughters would be all over you, for gettin rid of it. fix it and save, the majority rules :D nice work exspecailly under your conditions at the time. my mom has an old piece that is in ruins, but she still is hangin on to it becasue it was hers when she was a child. sentiments and traditions are still needed in our society and maybe more so nowdays. i would also like to see some new work from that yellow machine of yours :D

Dennis Peacock
09-27-2004, 10:50 AM
Very Nice Tyler..!!!! I agree with Jim B.....fix/repair and keep it!!!!! Thanks for sharing. :)

Tyler Howell
09-27-2004, 11:25 AM
Keep it! Even if you don't repair it now, the memories are priceless.

And BTW, isn't a "RAS" a Radial Arm Saw? If so, how the heck do you chuck a router bit in it????? :confused: Sorry if this is a dumb question but I have never laid eyes on a RAS in real life.Hi Carole,

The old Cman RAS had a Aux 3/8" shaft you could thread a chuck on. You could also screw on a drum sander and other accessories. Remove the blade, turn the motor unit to vertical and you had the Swiss Army Knife of saws:rolleyes: . Did every thing but only one well.

All,
There's more. Three of four corners are broken like that...(It was a big door!) I'll figure something out. Thanks for looking and the more than generous support.;)

With a strong nautical theme being part of our lives, I'm going to try something like Dave Richards made for his son. More to come.

Chris Padilla
09-27-2004, 5:11 PM
Tyler,

If fixing it and preserving it in its current form is a pain, I suggest taking a part of it and using it in your shop as something. It could be a jig, or a clock, or just a decoration on the wall somewhere.

Roger Myers
09-27-2004, 7:46 PM
Tyler....even if it was in 100 pieces, I'd suggest that you put the time into repairing it. The cradle, and more importantly the love that it represents, is priceless. In this day and age of disposables, a family heirloom like this has real special meaning. I rescued one of my early woodworking attempts ( a rocking horse for my oldest nephew) from the dumpster when he had outgrown it and his mom isn't that sentimental (and it was a pretty nice piece)...he was thankful, and your children will be as well!!
Roger

Keith Christopher
09-28-2004, 11:38 AM
Tyler,

You HAVE got to keep it an repair it! I explain to potential clients, that I build heirlooms not furniture. There's folks with factories in taiwian producing furniture. What woodsmiths do is make lasting pieces that will pass from generation to generation. Folks building furniture in the 1700's would never think what they made would be around 300 years later. but they are and they are cherished. The heirloom embodies either a love for the craft, a love for the project, or a love for the recipient, and sometimes alll three.

sorry, I'll step down from my soapbox now.

sorry for the madman rant

Keith

keith zimmerman
09-28-2004, 1:25 PM
Tyler, this is the message that will completely overwhelm you and force you to decide that the landslide opinion is that it must be kept and restored back to it's original pristine condition. :) :D

No matter how long it takes, you should repair/restore this priceless cradle that sprang forth from your own hands. You owe it to yourself and all the future Howell generations.

keithz

Lars Thomas
09-28-2004, 1:28 PM
Tyler, no choice but to repair it. Sorry. Lars

Donnie Raines
09-28-2004, 1:31 PM
Now THATS what you get with the GOLD!!!!!....Wonderfull!!!!!

Roger Fitzsimonds
09-28-2004, 1:33 PM
Tyler, I agree you need to repair this and pass it down the family tree.

Roger