PDA

View Full Version : new from LV today ...

Matt Stiegler
10-29-2009, 12:10 PM
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=64321&cat=51&ap=1

Ken Werner
10-29-2009, 12:17 PM
too cool. Thanks for posting.

Joe Close
10-29-2009, 12:31 PM
Man that is one small plane. You don't realize how small until you go the plane link and see it in the hand. WOW...

John Keeton
10-29-2009, 12:42 PM
I WILL own this pair! That marking gauge would be perfect for dovetails. One would have to put a mark of some sort on one end to assure consistent measurement of the thickness of the tail board vs. depth of the pin cuts.

Derek Cohen
10-29-2009, 12:43 PM
No review this time.

However, you may be interested in the Mesquite and Tasmanian Oak box that I built in which to store the plane ..

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Planes/LV%20planes/Mini%20Shoulder/Boxfordovetailsaw1.jpg

Inside is ....

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Planes/LV%20planes/Mini%20Shoulder/Shoulderplaneinbox1.jpg

.. and a better picture ...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Planes/LV%20planes/Mini%20Shoulder/Shoulderplaneinbox2.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

p.s. The marking gauge is fantastic!

Matt Stiegler
10-29-2009, 12:49 PM
I suspect a lot of folks' reaction on the mini shoulder plane is the same: very cool, but would I ever use it? Thus perfect for gift-receiving.

FWIW, Rob Lee posted elsewhere that its fully functional and more useful than he expected.

Sam Takeuchi
10-29-2009, 12:54 PM
I'd hate to try to sharpen that blade. I can imagine my finger tips getting all raw on the stones :o Maybe it'll be a highly collectible item like Stanley #1 one day.

John Keeton
10-29-2009, 1:09 PM
I agree on the sharpening aspect, but I recall several moments where that may have been the exact tool needed. It isn't going to be one of those "use it daily" items, but at the combined cost - it would be nice to have.

David Gendron
10-29-2009, 1:24 PM
great to see new tools on the market... But(not to be negative this morning)i think I would like to see them make a more usefull tool, like a better version of there micro ajustment marking gauge, a draw knife, maybe a mitre plane or panel raising plane...
Just my 2 cents!

Ken Werner
10-29-2009, 1:34 PM
David, it wouldn't surprise me if they are working on some of your list.

Zach Dillinger
10-29-2009, 1:40 PM
I've ordered mine and they are on their way! Thanks for the heads-up.

Zach
eatoncountywoodworker.blogspot.com (http://eatoncountywoodworker.blogspot.com)

Michael Schwartz
10-29-2009, 1:56 PM
Hey there are plenty of times when even my LN small shoulder plane is too large.

and LV has to release this as I am about to pull the plug and purchase a cnc router. At least its only 40 bucks for the pair.

I am kind of surprised it turned out to be a shoulder plane, and marking gauge. I remember a thread on SMC here a few weeks back about how they had something in the works.

Garth Keel
10-29-2009, 3:34 PM
Too many new, good things from LV. It's a good thing my cats are trained to always say order it now! That is what meow, meow means:D

george wilson
10-29-2009, 6:38 PM
That plane seems really a good deal!

Michael Schwartz
10-29-2009, 7:06 PM
That plane seems really a good deal!

any less and you would have to buy it at harbor freight :eek:

Ken Werner
10-29-2009, 9:34 PM
Derek, nice box.

Eric Brown
10-30-2009, 6:16 AM
The Krell sharpening holder should be able to grab a blade this small for sharpening.

Have my order in for the pair. I told Rob that if he used better materials I would not hesitate to buy. I stick to my word.

Eric

Rob Lee
10-30-2009, 8:08 AM
The Krell sharpening holder should be able to grab a blade this small for sharpening.

Have my order in for the pair. I told Rob that if he used better materials I would not hesitate to buy. I stick to my word.

Eric

Hi Eric -

I trust you'll be delighted with them!!

Clearly - we're developing more expertise with stainless steel... at least, on smaller scale products...

Cheers -

Rob

Richard Dooling
10-30-2009, 2:55 PM
I'm very tempted on this one. Derek would you please elaborate on what you like about the marking gauge? I have yet to find one I care for much.

Doug Shepard
10-30-2009, 5:12 PM
You just had to post this yesterday, the same day my Hammer A3-31 balance hit my charge card. Ouch. Thanks goodness it's cheap.

Jim Becker
10-30-2009, 8:19 PM
I got the email today...and I want one! In fact...it's on its way. :D LOL And you just never know when something small but well made might come in handy for some unique task. Bravo to LV for doing something different!

Don Dorn
10-30-2009, 8:54 PM
I have their brass 3 in 1 as well as the original wheel gauge. While I like the 3 in 1 much better, I can't help but to want to try this new one out - I have the pair on the way too.

Bob Marino
10-30-2009, 9:03 PM
Ok....mine's ordered. Thanks for the link.

Bob

Derek Cohen
10-30-2009, 9:24 PM
I'm very tempted on this one. Derek would you please elaborate on what you like about the marking gauge? I have yet to find one I care for much.

Hi Richard

I have a half dozen marking gauges, all of which get used. The ability to keep on hand gauges with different settings is very helpful. For example, with dovetails, mortice-and-tenon joints, etc. ... and especially if you are working with boards of different thicknesses (which is usually the case when they are hand thicknessed).

Not all gauges are equal. I prefer cutting gauges for cross-grain work and have a few, ranging from the wheel cutters of LV and Titemark to the more traditional knifed ones of Colen Clenton, Japanese and shopmade.

Depending on the size of the fence, some suit larger work and some suit smaller work. While they can be used for any size work, the original LV and TM wheel cutters are best suited (in my opinion) to medium sized work, that is, boards about 1/2" thick. Now I often work with thinner boards, some 1/4" thick, where one is working closer to the edge. This is also a feature of hinge mortices, where the depth may be between 1/16" to 1/8". These markings are quite delicate and would benefit from a gauge that offers a delicate touch. The size of the fence is important here (in my experience) - you actually want less of it as it just obscures the view and, thus, accuracy. Because you are marking a shallow depth, a small fence will offer sufficient registration.

At the other end of the spectrum I have a panel gauge I made whose fence is larger than any of my marking gauge fences.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jeff Johnson
10-30-2009, 9:43 PM
That plane will look nice on my key ring. ;)

Richard Kee
10-30-2009, 9:59 PM
34 hours and more than 1400 views - must be some kind of record!

BTW, I never received any e-mail notification ---- but the pair is on the way to me also.

Richard

Richard Dooling
10-31-2009, 1:16 PM
Thanks Derek for your usual clear and informative reply!

John Keeton
10-31-2009, 1:34 PM
BTW, I never received any e-mail notification ---- Richard, if you will go to LV home site and register, you can set your preferences to receive email notice of special offerings, etc.

Bob Haverstock
10-31-2009, 2:05 PM
Guys,

Thanks for posting the thread, I ordered the pair this morning. Now that I have ordered them, is there a homing devise that I can put on them? I know that I'm going to lose them on my work bench!

Bob Haverstock

Richard Dooling
10-31-2009, 2:55 PM
Thanks John,

I do get their notices though I didn't get this until the 3th - a day after this first posted. I've been real good about my purchases lately. Yard sale and antique shops and the like. Then Rob Lee throws a curve like this. $40 is $40 but a mini shoulder plane and a marking gauge for that price is hard to resist!:rolleyes:

Richard Kee
10-31-2009, 7:33 PM
John,

My notice finally came in today at 3:30 pm.

Richard

Brian Kent
10-31-2009, 8:36 PM
I saw one at the Woodworking Show in Orange County, California today. Tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny. Pretty, but tiny. bigger than a dime, but tiny.

On the other hand I tried out their 3 saws too. The 20 point rip was just unbelievably smooth, both as rip and as cross cut. Precise, tiny kerf. Good tiny.:D

Derek Cohen
11-01-2009, 10:59 AM
More on the LV Pocket Marking Gauge.

Today I was building a box that was made of boards 4" wide and 1/4" thick.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Marking%20and%20Measuring/Veritas%20Pocket%20marking%20gauge/Inuse1.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Marking%20and%20Measuring/Veritas%20Pocket%20marking%20gauge/Inuse2.jpg

A tip: the knobs are identical. I scored a cross on one (with a Dremel) to aid in differentiating the ends.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Marking%20and%20Measuring/Veritas%20Pocket%20marking%20gauge/Knobsmarked1.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Doug Shepard
11-04-2009, 5:55 PM
Mine showed up today.
First impression - I've never gotten a plane before that comes in a jewelry box.:D Seriously, it's a nicer box than what my watch came in.
Second Impression - the sole has a fair number of scratches going across the width, possibly from a lapping wheel? Nothing that probably affects flatness or couldn't be lapped out with a finer grit but a bit rougher looking than what I've come to expect from LV. Maybe they just stand out more on such a small surface?
Dinner bell rang before I had a chance to try it out or check out the marking guage.

Paul Davis
11-04-2009, 6:03 PM
UPS brought mine an hour or so ago and I already put it to use. Turns out to be a good tool for smoothing the cavity for a BenchCrafted wagon vise. A hollow plane would be better, of course, but wouldn't get as close to the stopped end. I'd already found a medium shoulder plane handy for the same thing, but this 1/4" width takes the steps down quite a bit smoother.

Not that this under-bench cavity needs to be smooth anyway, but you're talking to the king of OCD woodworking.

Jack Camillo
11-04-2009, 7:50 PM
Ordered mine just now. That was a no brainer. I have no doubt of the functionality, no question of the quality. Thanks again, Rob Lee.

I'm just happy that I saw this post, because I did not get the email (yes, I've registered a couple times) and only recently came back to reading the forum.

daniel lane
11-04-2009, 8:23 PM
I saw this thread after I already ordered the set plus a bunch of other stuff. (I'm trying to spend my son's inheritance very, very early.) I currently use a LV marking gauge and agree with Derek that sometimes it's a little too big - this one will be perfect. And Jeff's got a great idea - I've got to try to get the plane onto my key ring. ;)

daniel

Eric Brown
11-05-2009, 7:13 AM
I got bothe the marking gage and mini plane. Tried them both too.
To keep the two end of the marking gage identified, I simply put an O ring on the one end. That end feels more comfortable to my small fingers than the plain end. Might try to find another O ring in a different color. I does work well and does not roll around your bench.

The mini plane also seems to work well but I can't seem to get my finger into the hole on the side like the larger ones. Just kidding. Not sure how often I will need this plane, but it does look cool.

One little observation about both tools. They are both attracted to magnets, which means the stainless used may rust. We'll see.

Eric

Bob Marino
11-05-2009, 5:42 PM
I got bothe the marking gage and mini plane. Tried them both too.
To keep the two end of the marking gage identified, I simply put an O ring on the one end. That end feels more comfortable to my small fingers than the plain end. Might try to find another O ring in a different color. I does work well and does not roll around your bench.

The mini plane also seems to work well but I can't seem to get my finger into the hole on the side like the larger ones. Just kidding. Not sure how often I will need this plane, but it does look cool.

One little observation about both tools. They are both attracted to magnets, which means the stainless used may rust. We'll see.

Eric

Just opened up mine too. That's a nice tip - with the O ring.

Bob