PDA

View Full Version : Sorby chuck and Nova chuck

Mike Minto
10-29-2009, 11:57 AM
I was told here before that the Patriot chuck and SN2 chuck can both use the other's jaw sets - anyone have experience doing that? Am considering buying a Patriot - worth the extra money, in anyone's opinion? Thanks for any info, mike

Ryan Baker
10-29-2009, 9:52 PM
The printed Packard catalog says, "All of the jaws and inserts for the Patriot Chuck can be used with the Nova and SuperNova chucks and vice versa."

I do not have a Patriot. I would not buy one since I cannot see any reason to spend the extra money on one over the SN2.

Bernie Weishapl
10-29-2009, 10:45 PM
I definitely wouldn't buy one over a Vicmarc chuck.

Bill Blasic
10-30-2009, 8:00 AM
Mike,
I bought the Patriot 1" pin jaws as they have two screws holding the jaw to the chuck and I wanted to use them in compression mode. As the Patriot is a direct knockoff of the Nova chuck I had no doubt that they would fit. At $62.95 this was the absolute worst buy I have ever made. If the piece that you were trying to chuck wasn't perfectly square the jaws actually bend. Not to mention what a little catch will do, can I say this little catch put two of the jaws at about 45°. Nova is coming out with 4 new jaws in the midi chuck range in a few months and one of them is a two screw spigot jaw that should do what I'm looking for as I have never had a Nova jaw bend. If I were you I would stick with one of the three major brands. I think in December there is also going to be a midi chuck deal with added jaw sets at Woodcraft, The little Precision Midi is one of my favorites as I am one of the few who really like tommy bar chucks.
Bill

Mike Minto
10-30-2009, 9:26 AM
bill, your situation is similar to mine; i don't like the single screw on my Nova pin jaws - they (or the one screw) has deflected on me in compression mode before, too. i'll wait for a while to see those new jaws you were speaking of. oh, and bernie - thanks for the info on a chuck i was not considering :D. mike

Ryan Baker
10-30-2009, 8:50 PM
I've had the Nova pin jaws flex a bit in compression mode too. But they are actually designed to only be used in expansion mode. The single screw is the main problem. If they have some new jaws coming, I will be interested to see them too.