PDA

View Full Version : Anger+Wooden Mallet=Fixed DP Chuck

Carole Valentine
09-26-2004, 7:13 PM
Well, after a day and half of fiddling with that darn DP chuck, my temper and frustration got the best of me and I cut loose with a rather stong (to put it mildly) wack at the darn thing with a wooden mallet as it sat trapped helplessly in the bench vise. On the way to the trash can with it, I suddenly found that it was turning! Apparently, realizing it had no escape and was going to surely die a rusty death in the land fill :eek: if it didn't give up the goods, it relented. :D
I still think I may contact Delta for a new one, since it is still under warranty and is still not turning as smooth as it should.

Mike Cutler
09-26-2004, 7:30 PM
Carole. Before you trash the drillpress, I have a few suggestions. the stock chucks on a Delta or Jet DP's are to put it mildly, not very good. I have replaced a number of Jet chucks for various different reasons, The chuck can be removed on your drill press, it sounds as if you have already done that. Replace the chuck with a Jacobs chuck of the correct taper and be done with it. I know it's irksome to pay for an upgraded chuck, with your machine under warranty, but you'll be happier and less frustated in the end. As to the turning problem you are having, give the drive pulley a few "light taps"( No frustations whacks here, ok) on the shaft. The bearings may have been compressed slightly when the original chuck was initially seated.

Carole Valentine
09-26-2004, 7:34 PM
It IS a Jacobs.

Michael Stafford
09-26-2004, 7:37 PM
Carole, obviously the drill chuck now is fully aware of just who SWMBO is at your shop. I bet your hubby now sees you in a different light...

Gary Max
09-26-2004, 8:35 PM
To funny---anyhow I would just call them. I have had real good luck with Delta standing behind their stuff. Of course it's the only reason we still buy their stuff.
Now my wife wants a wooden mallet---see you just cost me money.

Jim DeLaney
09-26-2004, 11:38 PM
It IS a Jacobs.

Carole,
if the cost doesn't scare you off, take a look at the Albrecht chucks in the Grainger, McMaster-Carr, etc. catalogs. They're quite pricey, but wonderfully accurate, and best of all, they're keyless. They actually get tighter if the bit tries to slip.

I've had one on my Powermatic DP for about ten years now, and wouldn't ever want to change back to a Jacobs...

Carole Valentine
09-27-2004, 12:40 AM
:eek: ****choke****cough*****
You are right about the price scaring me off! Think I will make do with the Jacobs, but I will keep the Albrechts in mind in case I ever win the lottery.;)

Ian MacDonald
09-28-2004, 4:18 PM
Hi Carole,

There are other keyless chucks out there that are a little less expensive. I'm using one similar to this one from Grizzly although there are other vendors as well: http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G8232

I probably wouldn't use a drill press now without one of these chucks.

Cheers,

-- Ian