PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly universal knife grinder

Don Kondra
10-29-2009, 9:09 AM
Greetings,

I'm considering the purchase of this tool and would appreciate feedback/comments from someone who owns this machine.

One of my concerns is the speed of the wheel (3450 rpm).

Cheers, Don

Greg Hart
10-29-2009, 10:59 AM
Why the grizzly universal grinder? Busy Bee has the equivalent (same machine) on sale for $200 CAD right now?

Cheers,
Greg

Paul Atkins
10-29-2009, 11:34 AM
Where/what is Busy Bee?

Myk Rian
10-29-2009, 11:38 AM
Where/what is Busy Bee?
A Canadian store.

Don Kondra
10-29-2009, 2:47 PM
Why the grizzly universal grinder? Busy Bee has the equivalent (same machine) on sale for $200 CAD right now?

Cheers,
Greg

Hi Greg,

As far as I can tell the two machines are one and the same ;)

I figured there may be more Grizzly owners than BB on this site...

Moving forward now, my casual research so far leads me to believe my other choice is the Makita 9820-2 blade sharpener.

Readers reviews have stated that the stone is bonded to a piece of steel that rusts from the water bath and this leads to the bond failing.

And the stated capacity is 15 3/4", my blades are 16" :rolleyes:

I do like the slower speed and water bath though, the mess can't be much worse than working with Japanese water stones...

Either machine should be an improvement over what I use now, wait for it, wait....

My table saw :D

This is neither recommended or for the faint of heart. The stone is not installed in the picture but you should be able to get the idea.

Imagine the stone spinning at 3450 rpm and the blade is only contacting the stone on the circumference. The height of the stone must be such that it barely contacts the blade and you must be moving forward briskly to avoid burning the steel.

It's time for a change....

Cheers, Don

Paul Atkins
10-29-2009, 3:02 PM
Actually I kinda like the tablesaw idea. My blades are 20" so I need a 40" table. hmm

Rick Alexander
10-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Hi Greg,

As far as I can tell the two machines are one and the same ;)

I figured there may be more Grizzly owners than BB on this site...

Moving forward now, my casual research so far leads me to believe my other choice is the Makita 9820-2 blade sharpener.

Readers reviews have stated that the stone is bonded to a piece of steel that rusts from the water bath and this leads to the bond failing.

And the stated capacity is 15 3/4", my blades are 16" :rolleyes:

I do like the slower speed and water bath though, the mess can't be much worse than working with Japanese water stones...

Either machine should be an improvement over what I use now, wait for it, wait....

My table saw :D

This is neither recommended or for the faint of heart. The stone is not installed in the picture but you should be able to get the idea.

Imagine the stone spinning at 3450 rpm and the blade is only contacting the stone on the circumference. The height of the stone must be such that it barely contacts the blade and you must be moving forward briskly to avoid burning the steel.

It's time for a change....

Cheers, Don

I still have my old shopsmith that uses a conical disk in place of the saw blade that sharpens planer blades very similar to that. I haven't done it in a long time but I will say it works surprisingly well. I don't use the SS for much any more but it does still do some things well - and I spent a fortune for the thing so I don't want to get rid of it. Here's a link to what I'm talking about.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/sn_conical_sanding.htm

I didn't buy the jig, just made a sled that did the same thing the jig does. Gotta take really small cuts on fairly quick passes but it does work well. The motor needs to be on the slowest speed too.

Not worth it to get a SS to do it - just thought you might find it interesting.

Don Kondra
10-30-2009, 4:19 PM
Thanks for that Rick,

Tried to watch the video but let's just say I didn't have the patience for the pace of the presentation :rolleyes:

Made a trip into town yesterday so I stopped at Busy Bee and had them plug in the grinder for me.

It ran amazingly smooth considering the speed and an undressed wheel.

I also stopped at the Makita service center and asked where I could see one of their sharpeners in the city. Turns out they are not available in Canada and haven't been for five or six years, sigh....

Sure would like to see it before I bought it.

No rush to sharpen any blades yet so.....

Cheers, Don

Dave Lehnert
10-30-2009, 5:05 PM
I still have my old shopsmith that uses a conical disk in place of the saw blade that sharpens planer blades very similar to that. I haven't done it in a long time but I will say it works surprisingly well. I don't use the SS for much any more but it does still do some things well - and I spent a fortune for the thing so I don't want to get rid of it. Here's a link to what I'm talking about.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/sn_conical_sanding.htm

I didn't buy the jig, just made a sled that did the same thing the jig does. Gotta take really small cuts on fairly quick passes but it does work well. The motor needs to be on the slowest speed too.

Not worth it to get a SS to do it - just thought you might find it interesting.

I was just going to post what he just said. It is a slick setup once you see it work. Here is a link to the jig.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/j_knifesharpener.htm

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/images/KnifeSharpener.jpg

george wilson
10-30-2009, 7:11 PM
I would not want to let grinding grit get down into my tablesaw,into the trunnions,worm gears,etc.. The tablesaw is not a grinder.

Don Kondra
10-31-2009, 12:13 PM
That is a concern and I am meticulous in clean up :)

And hopefully soon I will have a better system....

Cheers, Don