PDA

View Full Version : Getting hosed - Harbor Freight 4", Jet, Woodstock or ?

Yitah Wu
10-29-2009, 8:51 AM
Just got my first DC (1HP single stage Grizzly) and looking to get hosed (and connected, gated, etc)

Looking for something decent that I can get into for a reasonable price which is a reasonable quality I can expand on.

Hoses are not cheap, wondering if anyone has thoughts on the HF hose - they're the closest resource, Woodcraft is a bit of a hike and anything else is going to have to be mail order.

One key is that I will be using the DC as a mobile unit, with perhaps a Y between the planer and jointer. Not sure if I am going to hook the table saw in yet as it's on the far side of the shop.

Also need to be able to stow the hose with a reasonable amount of effort as it's a garage shop :(

2-car garage with approx 20x20 space. At some point I'm thinking I'd like to put the DC in the rafters and have the hose coming down. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for your opinions and observations.

Yitah

Philip Rodriquez
10-29-2009, 1:10 PM
A 1 HP unit does not have a lot of pull, therefore, you will need to keep your hose length (run) as short as possible in order to maximize your CFM. 6' to 8' of hose is the most you should run and forget about having drops and wye's. Sorry, the machine just is not big enough to do it effectively.

While I have never used HF hose... I'm sure it would work fine. Since you are going to have to keep it mobile, I suggest looking in to the rockler dust right handle and the matching fittings for your equipment.

David Hostetler
10-29-2009, 2:30 PM
I have used the HF hose. While I have had good luck with the HF dust collector, the hose is too stiff to be all that useful. I would grab a 10' hose from PSI. It is a little thin walled, but it is VERY flexible, and has stood up to an amazing amount of accidental abuse...

FWIW, I agree on the 1HP DC not being enough to bother with gating / plumbing etc... I would suggest you simply use it machine to machine, on a mobile basis and don't worry about Wye's and blast gates. Not saying it's a bad machine in the slightest, but it will lack enough pull through any long length of pipe or hose...

Chris Tsutsui
10-29-2009, 6:33 PM
I have the HF 4" hose and I use it all the time.

I would describe it as a very thick vinyl like material that's heavy, doesn't compress, and you can step on it and it's going to tell you that it's there rather than cave in under the slightest pressure.

I don't actually have any complaints other than it doesn't retract and it's a bit cumbersome.

If I had to get a new one in a small shop, i would mail order the Rockler retractable hose that expands from 3' to like over 20'. They have free shipping promotions, and sometimes if you leave an item in your cart for a while, they will email you "Free shipping" on items left in your shopping cart.

I saw the retractable one in the store and although the walls arn't as thick/durable feeling, I can push and pull the length to any machine in the shop and when I'm done, i just retract it back.

David Hostetler
10-29-2009, 8:13 PM
I have the HF 4" hose and I use it all the time.

I would describe it as a very thick vinyl like material that's heavy, doesn't compress, and you can step on it and it's going to tell you that it's there rather than cave in under the slightest pressure.

I don't actually have any complaints other than it doesn't retract and it's a bit cumbersome.

If I had to get a new one in a small shop, i would mail order the Rockler retractable hose that expands from 3' to like over 20'. They have free shipping promotions, and sometimes if you leave an item in your cart for a while, they will email you "Free shipping" on items left in your shopping cart.

I saw the retractable one in the store and although the walls arn't as thick/durable feeling, I can push and pull the length to any machine in the shop and when I'm done, i just retract it back.

Your experience with the HF hose has been better than mine... Is yours dark gray, or light gray? Mine was dark... I have seen both in store and wonder if there is a difference beyond color...

Yitah Wu
10-30-2009, 1:19 PM
Thanks for all the opinions...Really wish I had a 2 hp DC but the price was right on this one (free)...My plan was to get the DC in the garage attic and pipe that dust sucking goodness to the machines below (Floor space is at a premium in my garage shop and I have pulldown stairs so access to the attic is easy.) It would also have served to keep any exhausted dust away from me.

Based on the comments I'm probably going to go with the Rockler DustRite hose for now.

Yitah

Derek Voigt
11-02-2009, 6:06 PM
the Rockler retractable hose that expands from 3' to like over 20'.

I just got this one and it does the trick in my 2 car garage. I would recommend it for those tight on space.

Matt Meiser
11-02-2009, 8:43 PM
I just bought the Rockler hose about a week and a half ago. Haven't gotten to really try it out but its nice and heavy duty. Its replacing the cheapie hose that came with my first PSI dust collector that I cut in half. Each 1/2 lasted about 4 years so I really can't complain, but I expect this one will last quite a bit longer. I use it for a number of tools I don't have permanently plumbed, plus I use it to vacuum the shop.

Myk Rian
11-02-2009, 9:18 PM
I bought some 4" hose from Menards a couple years ago. Black, and a bit stiff, but it's nice.