PDA

View Full Version : Mimosa?

Darrell Bottoms
10-29-2009, 12:46 AM
Just wondering if Mimosa wood is good for anything as I've got quite a few trees that need to come down.

Thanks!

Scott Hildenbrand
10-29-2009, 12:53 AM
How about a fence.. We cut back a huge Crepe Myrtle to the ground so it could regrow and get back it's strength.. Kept the trunks and are going to use it as fence rungs along where the new front walk will be.

Can't imagine Mimosa being worth anything much.. It's so fast growing and does not get much girth to it.

Just my two cents.

EDIT: Now, I say that but out of curiosity I decided to google the idea and turns out there are indeed bowels made out of it as well as some smaller work.

http://www.scrollsawer.com/issue33/wood-review.php

One example is above.

Tom Veatch
10-29-2009, 1:04 AM
... there are indeed bowels made out of it ...

Ok, guys, surely someone out there has a wisecrack about that! :)

Scott Hildenbrand
10-29-2009, 1:19 AM
LOL... Dagnabit... BOWLS! Teach me to type while tired... And with that, I'm turning in.

Darrell Bottoms
10-29-2009, 1:21 PM
Ok, guys, surely someone out there has a wisecrack about that! :)

I love this place!:D

Jeff Willard
10-29-2009, 3:32 PM
I've turned some small lidded containers out of it. Looks nice-not unlike butternut. Probably best not to mess with it if strength is a concern. If you can stand to work with it, (I'm not allergic to much, but I can't handle this stuff) it makes attractive small objects, and is easy to work.

Darrell Bottoms
10-29-2009, 7:43 PM
I've turned some small lidded containers out of it. Looks nice-not unlike butternut. Probably best not to mess with it if strength is a concern. If you can stand to work with it, (I'm not allergic to much, but I can't handle this stuff) it makes attractive small objects, and is easy to work.

Hadn't thought of that....is mimosa a dangerous wood as far as one's health is concerned?

Jeff Willard
10-29-2009, 8:36 PM
I read somewhere that it was notorious for causing reactions, but I can't recall where. I don't remember reading about any long-term health concerns. It just irritated my sinuses, causing sneezing. Stopped working with it-stopped sneezing. That and cocobolo are the only woods that I have had a reaction to-yet. But it's far less severe than the cocobolo, which gives me a rash just looking at it. But I can't stop sneezing when I work it.

The only sure way to know is to work some of it. That's how I found out about both of 'em. If it bothers you, I think a nuisance mask would take care of it.

Dennis Ford
10-29-2009, 10:02 PM
I love turning mimosa but sanding it requires dust collection and a dust mask.

scott vroom
10-29-2009, 11:07 PM
...and to think I've spent all my life till now believing mimosa was a champagne cocktail!:p