PDA

View Full Version : Deal or no deal

Mitchell Miracle
10-28-2009, 7:31 PM
Im a new poster to the Creek. However, I have been reading for over a year. I am a hobby woodworker and have a question about drum sanders. I have an opportunity to buy a Grizzly 1066Z, a Griz 3 HP and 1 1/2 HP shaper, and all of the cutter heads to do doors with ($450 from Griz) all for about $2000. They were bought new in 2008. Here is the question.....I really only want the drum sander. Will I ever really need the shapers? Also, I have not really read good reviews on the Griz sander. So, Deal or No Deal. If not, whats the best sander to buy.

Chris Tsutsui
10-28-2009, 7:50 PM
So grizz 1066Z went for over $2K new, and I saw one on CL used sell for $1K.

Grizz 1.5HP shaper = $500 new
Grizz 3HP shaper = $1,000 new
Plus bits which is $650

So if all of this is brand new, that's 50% off which is an OK deal. I would wish more for 70-80% off for a SLICK deal. :)

Here's another way to look at it.

If you think you can sell the 1.5HP shaper for $250, and the 3HP shaper for $600. Then try to sell the bits for $150... that's a thousand back after some work and sweat.

If that works out then that means you spent $1000 on the 1066Z which is an "ok" price for it. That sounds much better than paying $2500 new for it!

Mitchell Miracle
10-28-2009, 8:34 PM
Thanks Chris. I agree with your comments. However, I have not seen good reviews on the Griz 1066Z drum sander. Is it worth the risk or are the better sanders out there for $1000?

Chip Lindley
10-29-2009, 1:54 AM
Mitchell, the G1066Z is not a bad sander at all. It's certainly no Cadillac machine, but basically adequate, and better than the older version. The Z has a thick rough-top conveyor belt, micro-adjustable rear drum, AND variable feed speed! IMO, if you can get the machine at 1/2 price ($1000) you'd well be getting you money's worth!

Paul Johnstone
10-29-2009, 11:07 AM
Thanks Chris. I agree with your comments. However, I have not seen good reviews on the Griz 1066Z drum sander. Is it worth the risk or are the better sanders out there for $1000?

I don't know that particular model.. what is the width on it.
For $1000, you can get a used Delta/Performax/Jet drum sander pretty easy.

I wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of reselling two shapers, unless it made the sander nearly free. Think of the hassle of loading them up, unloading them, testing them, and then selling them.
At the price the guy is charging, I'd try to talk him into only selling what you really want to you.

Mitchell Miracle
10-29-2009, 2:10 PM
Thnaks guys. He says he will only sell as a set. He probably knows that the shapers would be difficult to sell without the sander. The sander is a 24". I am just concerned that the sander may not be very reliable and is difficult to work with. I have read some other threads that have not been very favorable concerning the Griz sanders.

Kirk Simmons
10-29-2009, 5:59 PM
... is that there is always another piece of used gear coming down the pipe on Craigslist. If you have any misgivings, and don't need it tomorrow, then wait for the next good deal. It is simply astonishing the variety of used woodworking tools you can find if you're patient.

- Kirk Simmons

Chris Tsutsui
10-29-2009, 6:04 PM
Now that I think about it. If it was me, I wouldn't do it because I'd be afraid of grizzly's reputation for drum sanders.

I'd probably wait for a decent used perfomax or jet drum sander to go on craigslist for $1k or less.

Mitchell Miracle
10-29-2009, 7:19 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I am going to pass on this deal and wait for a performax. Wish me luck.

Mike Heidrick
10-29-2009, 11:38 PM
So I owned the 22-44 ST Performax and now own a 1066Z. MUUUUCH better than my 22-44 ST was. The mass, the control, the fixed ends - all make for a 26" sanding that just works awesome. The 1066Z owners that complain do so because their business should be running a true widebelt or they use a drum sander as a planer. Make no bones about it - the dual 6" drums on the 1066Z in a one man hobby shop are awesome.