PDA

View Full Version : Help With "Intro to Woodturning" Class

Richard Madison
10-28-2009, 7:20 PM
One of the local women's groups has an annual program wherein numerous volunteers each host a class or event of some kind. They publish a booklet of all the events, schedules, locations, and cost to attend each activity. Folks "subscribe" to attend the various events of their choice. The fees may be as little as $10-$15, up to about $50 for something like a nice dinner/dance event. All the money collected is donated to various local charitable organizations.

So finally getting to the point, they want me to do a session having to do with woodturning. Am considering something like a two-hour session on "Introduction to Woodturning", for folks who have never done it but think they might be interested. Have not taught classes for 35 years and wasn't very good at it then, so am requesting any help, advice, suggestions you can give. An outline would include such topics as safety, wood lathe and it's parts, several kinds of turning tools, and basic how to use a bowl gouge. I would appreciate any help you can offer. I have about 10 days before the go/no go decision, and am not willing to commit without having already developed an acceptable two-hour program. Thanks in advance.

Sean Hughto
10-28-2009, 7:34 PM
I'd recommend getting to the demo parts as quickly as possible.

- 5 minutes on lathe and its parts
- 5 minutes on basic safety
- 5 minutes on overview of tools
all of these topics will be amplified and detailed as you do the demos

- Start with a between centers demo
- talk about spurs and live centers
- talk about the main tools use in spindle work
- talk about grain orientation and how it differs from face work
- take a piece of square stock to round with a roughing gouge and then make it smooth with a skew
- demonstrate a few grooves with the skew
- demonstrate a turning a bead with a skew and a gouge
- demonstrate turning a cove
- talk about calipers and tricks for turning multiples
- talk about all the sorts of things (chair parts, knobs, pens, etc.) this type of work produces
- shape a top, part it off, and then spin it on the table or floor

- next do a bowl demo
- talk about faceplates and chucks
- talk about bowl gouges and scrapers (not to use spindle or roughing gouges)
- talk about hanging over the rest and the need for strong tools
- talk about grain and varieties of wood
- talk about turning green versus dry
- shape the outside
- rechuck and hollow the bowl
- demonstrate the use of calipers
- talk about powered dust masks and tryign to collect dust as you sand
- sand
- use some wax or friction polish to finish the bowl off

Take a bow!

Skip Spaulding
10-28-2009, 7:41 PM
Richard, sounds like you are already under way. You might check out a few turning videos on utube for ideas. I bet you won't have any trouble, go for it!:)

Allen Neighbors
10-28-2009, 9:06 PM
Excellent, Sean!!

Richard Madison
10-28-2009, 10:34 PM
Thanks guys. That was easy.

Sean, just let me know which two days in April you can be here to do the program. Sounds great!

But seriously, will just have to get a roughing gouge, practice spindle turning, learn to use the skew, etc. Should be character building. And might result in a few sales. Thanks again.

ROY DICK
10-29-2009, 7:31 AM
How about a quick review of the history.
http://search.aol.com/aol/search?&query=HISTORY+OF+A+WOOD+LATHE&invocationType=TB50CL

Roy

Steve Schlumpf
10-29-2009, 8:37 AM
Richard - sounds like it should be a lot of fun!

I know there is a lot of information to cover in a very limited amount of time and was wondering where this class was to be held? Reason I ask is that when doing a demo there are almost always folks that can not see what you are doing. It might be to your advantage to play portions of a DVD to clarify what you are about to turn. To see something on TV, movie screen, whatever - then see it in person would add another dimension to your presentation.

Just a thought.

Richard Madison
10-29-2009, 11:36 AM
Roy, Good idea. A brief history of wood turning would be in order. Will have to learn a bit more about that myself. Have seen the other Roy (Underhill) and his spring pole lathe.

Steve, The session(s) will be in my shop and will be limited to just 8 people so everyone can see what's going on. Sadly I have no AV equipment so the whole thing will have to be "up close and personal". Hence the reason for limiting the group(s) to eight people even though there is room for more. The program is in April, so must begin cleaning up soon.

Thanks again y'all.

dennis kranz
10-29-2009, 11:58 AM
Make sure you time yourself as to how long does it take you to do a bowl with people asking questions. If you think time would be a problem maybe a predrilled Tea Light would be better. Time goes by a lot faster when your haveing fun.
Dennis

Barry Elder
10-29-2009, 1:36 PM
Methinks you will run out of time rather quickly, considering that there will be thousands of questions. Make sure you take plenty of inventory for the ladies to see, touch, and feel. (And buy!)

Richard Madison
10-29-2009, 2:28 PM
Thanks guys. Exactly what my wife says. I'm wondering how to fill one whole hour, and she (who has done literally hundreds of presentations) says it will likely run 2-1/2 hours or more. Clearly some practice and timing will be required to make it come out somewhere near right, especially since it's been more than 20 years since my last "presentation" before a group.