PDA

View Full Version : Tracfone users?

Dave Lehnert
10-28-2009, 7:03 PM
I have a Tracfone that has quit working. The screen is blank. Years ago I had this happen to a Tracfone and was out of luck. No way to retrieve the unused minute if you can't get your phone to work.
Wonder if this is still the case or because this phone has a sim card is it just a matter or switching cards from phone to phone?

Chuck Saunders
10-28-2009, 10:56 PM
Call them to activate your new phone. They will ask you how many minutes you have. If the phone will power up they may be able to transfer everything but that may require operation of the old phone. That is never an option with my kids phones.

Paul Atkins
10-29-2009, 3:01 AM
I had a battery go bad on mine and it would not charge. A new one fixed that. Go to the Tracfone website and see if your account has minutes on it and if there is a customer service #.

Dave Johnson29
10-29-2009, 10:46 AM
Wonder if this is still the case or because this phone has a sim card is it just a matter or switching cards from phone to phone?

I have had my Nokia for about 6 years and still going strong.

Will it start up if plugged in to the charger? It may be the battery as has been suggested.

I saw an LG flip-phone in Big Lots for 10-bucks the other day. Why not just buy one and try the SIM swap?

Dave Lehnert
10-29-2009, 4:11 PM
I have had my Nokia for about 6 years and still going strong.

Will it start up if plugged in to the charger? It may be the battery as has been suggested.

I saw an LG flip-phone in Big Lots for 10-bucks the other day. Why not just buy one and try the SIM swap?

The phone will turn on but that's all. Can't get the screen to show any info or not able to make a call.
Not sure if the sim card has all the info with minutes and such. Will have to give them a call. Just thought someone here may have been through this.

Chuck Saunders
10-29-2009, 8:35 PM
Like I said Dave, I have been through this 3 times already. 1 run over by car, 1 eaten by recliner and 1 drowned in fruit punch. Swapping sim cards will not work. When you go to activate your new phone call Trac Fone. Explain why you can't use your phone. They can give you the credit for the minutes you have. It is not a big deal but you do need themto set it up.

Dave Lehnert
10-29-2009, 9:15 PM
Like I said Dave, I have been through this 3 times already. 1 run over by car, 1 eaten by recliner and 1 drowned in fruit punch. Swapping sim cards will not work. When you go to activate your new phone call Trac Fone. Explain why you can't use your phone. They can give you the credit for the minutes you have. It is not a big deal but you do need themto set it up.

How do they tell how many minutes you had on the phone? I am not exactly sure how many I had. Something like 1,000 or more.

Chuck Saunders
10-30-2009, 8:25 AM
They asked me if I knew how many minutes I had on the phone. It may be possible for them to read your phone since it will power up.

Dave Lehnert
10-31-2009, 11:13 PM
I have a Tracfone that has quit working. The screen is blank. Years ago I had this happen to a Tracfone and was out of luck. No way to retrieve the unused minute if you can't get your phone to work.

Just to update my own post.

I was able to transfer the unused minutes on the non-working phone to the new phone. Only catch was they said I had about half the minutes that we thought was on it. But was possible that the phone was not turned off after a call and such. Just happy to recover some of the minutes. I know at one time you were not abler to do so unless you could get your old phone to work.
It only took about 20min to do but it was a rough 20 min. The call was obvious sent over seas. The guy had broken English but was able to deal with that. What was bad it sounded like all 100 workers were in a 10x10 room talking at once. Also everything I said was echoed back to me.

I like Tracfone. I am a low use person so it cost me $8.33 a month.
unused units are never lost.