PDA

View Full Version : Bio

Marshall Harrison
09-26-2004, 1:50 PM
Greetings,

I've been hanging out here for a week or so and I guess it's time to introduce myself.

My name is Marshall and I live in northeast Florida. I'm 48 years old, married with 4 kids (B,G,G,B) ranging from 7yrs to 14yrs. I was into woodworking and had a shop in my garage until 3 years ago when we moved to our new house and I sold most of my tools to a friend at a huge discount. He only lives about 4 miles from me and I hope that he will be open to me using his shop when I need a tool I don't have.

I'm just getting back into woodworking and trying to setup a mobile shop in my garage. I don't have lots of room as I have to share it with my wife's stained glass tools and things like a lawnmower and kid's stuff. That is why I am planning on going with mostly bench top tools and mobile stands on the table saw etc.

In my last shop I bought tools that I didn't really need then I didn't turnout enough stuff to make SWMBO happy. She is gun shy of me going crazy with tool purchases this time around so I'll have to take it slow and justify each tool as a project needs it.

My main interest is in Art and Crafts or Mission Style furniture (yes I know there is a difference). I still have the round top I made for a missions style table so finishing that will be my first project. SWMBO wants a built in book case in an alcove so that looms on the horizon.

I used to hang out on Badger Pond and was really surprised to see that it had dried up. I found out from Wood Central about SMC and this seems to feel a lot like the old Pond.

After reading Jerry Olexa 's post "THANK YOU from departed Woodworking buddy " I knew this was the place to be. I also went and gave my dog a hug.

I have to relearn some things so I may ask more questions than I can answer but I'll always be around.

Bob Flemming
09-26-2004, 3:19 PM
Let me be one of the first to welcome you. I'm new here also, so for now I stay on the shallow end. I do know you will like it here.

Dennis Peacock
09-26-2004, 3:30 PM
Welcome Marshall.....When I read the first part of your bio, I thought you were copying mine. I have 4 kids ranging in age from 7 to 14. But, I'm younger than you.!!! :p :D I'm only 45....so I'm just a kid!!! :p :p :D

Welcome to the creek..!!!!!

Jason Tuinstra
09-26-2004, 3:52 PM
In my last shop I bought tools that I didn't really need then I didn't turnout enough stuff to make SWMBO happy. She is gun shy of me going crazy with tool purchases this time around so I'll have to take it slow and justify each tool as a project needs it.

Marshall, glad to have you around. If you need any excuses, just let everyone know the tool that you want/need, and we'll create some justifications for you in no time flat. We're a veritable treasure trove of excuses :D :p

I used to hang out on Badger Pond and was really surprised to see that it had dried up. I found out from Wood Central about SMC and this seems to feel a lot like the old Pond.

I'm with you on this one. SMC seems to have much of the BP spirit if you will. Great group here. I'm sure you'll fit right in. Welcome.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-26-2004, 6:10 PM
Marshall....welcome to the 'Creek! As stated by Jason....just ask we can always find some good excuses for buying tools. Again....welcome!

Tyler Howell
09-26-2004, 6:34 PM
Welcome Marshall,
I'm a Marshall too (self appointed:rolleyes: ), of the picture police and I just wanted to share how much we enjoy seeing your work. It is my duty to uphold the law. Talk is cheep. It's not a gloat with out a pix.:mad:
Glad to have you in the Creek. Great bunch of folks here:D

Carl Eyman
09-26-2004, 8:58 PM
Welcome! Enjoy!

Ted Shrader
09-27-2004, 11:42 AM
Marshall -

Welcome to the Creek. As you have discovered, a great place to hang out. Glad to have you aboard.

Hope you fared well through Jeanne. I will assume the others didn't have too much effect since you didn't mention them.

Regards,
Ted

Roger Fitzsimonds
09-27-2004, 1:08 PM
Welcome Marshall.

This is a great comminity and very helpful.

Roger

Rich Konopka
09-27-2004, 3:43 PM
HI Marshall !! Welcome aboard !! Watch the classifieds there are some nice tools offered up for sale at times. These guys/gals love their tools and have some nice stuff and are always upgrading.

Regards

Chris Padilla
09-27-2004, 5:44 PM
You've come to the right place, Marshall, but we are big on lots of pictures being posted! :D Welcome to the USS SMC!! :)

Wade Samuelson
09-27-2004, 6:25 PM
Welcome! I'm new too. Everybody has been very patient and helpful here with me. Definitely a great group of people!

Jerry Olexa
09-27-2004, 7:19 PM
Marshall, Welcome This is a great place to be, Good people w good values as well as WW skills. Glad you're here!

Jim Ketron
09-27-2004, 9:12 PM
Welcome Marshall!

Jump In anytime "The Waters Just fine":D
Jim

Dale Thompson
09-27-2004, 10:17 PM
Marshall,
Repeating, welcome to "The Creek". Most of us on this forum are really super smart human beings. There are a few, however, that you have to be careful of. They are members of the PSP (Pic Secret Police). They have never learned to read so they need pictures to be able to participate in this forum with intaleckchuals like I is! :( Don't let dem skare ya! If'n youse knead help, jus let me no an I wil run fer it!! :cool:

Thanks for joining us, Marshall. You will not regret your choice! :)

Dale T.

larry merlau
09-28-2004, 11:12 AM
well marshall, you have stumbled on a fine batch of guys and gals who are always helpful. not been here long but long enough to realize its value.also would like to warn you of one other thing, some of those folks in wisconsin are contagoius. you may need some meds to cope with them :D they seem to make you laugh alot and then tyler will sneak up and put the cuffs on :D welcome and enjoy the group and learn as well.

Steve Clardy
09-28-2004, 12:15 PM
Welcome Marshall.

Steve

Michael Ballent
09-28-2004, 1:31 PM
Welcome aboard Marshall. Ask just about any question you will get an answer :D Many tool-a-holics here to help you get the most bang for the buck, and we love to spend each other's money. Before long you may become a Festool junkie ;)

Marshall Harrison
09-28-2004, 8:58 PM
Thanks for all of the kind words. The welcome I’ve received just confirms that this is the place to be.

I’ve been digging out from under the debris left by Jeanne. Mostly small branches, pine comes and other small stuff. Unfortunately the storms have kep me from cleaning out the garage and setting up shop. I’ll bet I’m the only one here with a table saw in their living room.

I don’t have any shop or project pictures yet but I’ll post some later. My first project is a small mission style table that I started 3 years ago. I have this beautiful round top made of red oak. Now I have to find some way to cut the legs along with the mortise and tenon joints.

I’m sure I’ll post some questions and perhaps an answer or two now and then.

Rob Russell
09-28-2004, 9:51 PM
Marshall,

Let me add my 'voice' to the group of "Howdy's". You'll find it's a great place to be around.

Rob

Kent Cori
09-28-2004, 9:51 PM
Marshall,

I'm glad to see another SMC woodworker here in Florida but sorry to hear you are digging out from Jeanne. Don't feel too bad, I'm in the same boat.

If you ever get over this way, drop in and we can talk tools together. I'm always happy to have a fellow Creeker stop by. :)