PDA

View Full Version : What is it?

Kevin J Lalonde
10-28-2009, 6:48 PM
My brother and I were hunting in Louisiana a couple of weeks ago. Its actually a spot that had been logged many years ago. We stumbled upon several large pieces of this in the woods and they actually looked like stones and weigh a ton. Just curious we brought one home and cut it with a skilsaw and this is what is inside. It's a piece of wood and not stone. These white rods running with the grain (spalting?). Cant tell the tree type yet. The wood actually brought the saw to a stop twice while cutting it. The pieces range from 2ftx2ft to fist size (this case). Cell phone picture. Cant wait to turn one on the lathe. And I also picked up some pecky cypress, anyone ever turn that before? Anyways thanks for looking.

David E Keller
10-28-2009, 6:57 PM
No idea but I want to see what you turn out of it. I've turned some alabaster pens and can tell you that tool sharpening will be needed often. What kind of trees were growing in the area? That would be the only way I can think of to make an educated guess. You're sure it is/was wood?

curtis rosche
10-28-2009, 8:54 PM
that is red oak, no doubt, the white is mold, let it sit, and it will grow and look like a worm

Richard Madison
10-28-2009, 10:39 PM
One vote for bald cypress. You could send a sample to the forestry lab for i.d. Don't have the address handly but will find it for you if someone else doesn't have it at hand. At one time they would I.D. three samples per year free of charge.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-28-2009, 11:16 PM
I was thinking cypress too. A majority of it was harvested in the last century.

Frank Guerin
10-29-2009, 6:08 PM
Cypress knee. I really don't know but just wanted to get in on the conversation but thats my guess anyway.

Dan Forman
10-30-2009, 3:31 AM
Cypress knee. I really don't know but just wanted to get in on the conversation but thats my guess anyway.

Maybe a knee cap? :)

Dan

Joe Mioux
10-30-2009, 4:25 AM
my thoughts were cypress.

Gary Herrmann
10-30-2009, 7:50 AM
Sharpen up those tools if it's a cypress knee. I've chipped lawnmower blades on those things.